Vintage tackle

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It looks like some kind of double ended sex aid, might be extendable looking at it!

I'm sure Binka will be able to shed some light on the matter :wh ;).

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a vintage float Winder . . . . . think of a modern day pole float winder and , there you go.

The compartment in the middle held spare floats, float rubbers and even lead hot. all you needed to make up a rig at the waterside.

Individually they can fetch quite decent money these days.

The other wooden item is probably an "otter" which was a heavy wooden "float" that you slipped onto your line if your rig was caught up.

It would drift downstream and impart a force opposite to that which you could do with the rod and thereby release the snagged rig . . . . .

A bit like this but excuse the yankee video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWn5pm_HWTM

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
That looks like a good haul Crow. a good bit of research, magnifying glass handy; look for any names on the lures etc. a bit of googling might help. Some of that old stuff put in e bay under arts might sell some of it. They like some of this stuff for displays etc. Whats in that wallet right at the top, looks like coins? The devon minnows if wooden are quite collectable I believe. Nice old wallets as well. Looks interesting. Alcocks on one of the packets, usually a good name for anything old.

chrissh

Reaction score
Could it be a HOBO Pocket fishing kit, a full fishing kit that fits in a pocket?

rsz_dbbeca0bc71b55b58a4b0e352f43f529.jpg

View image in gallery

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
There are a few nice Harcork floats there that are worth a few pounds-a-piece and if some of those Fishing Gazette floats are original then they too are worth a few pounds too.

I am not to sure about most of the lures or spinners as it is not a topc I am at all up on.

The How To Catch them book is usually only around £8 but some in that series can cost well over £100, and the complete set (if first editions) is almost a "name your own price" item . . . . . . .

How to catch them | Collectable series of angling books | All Fishing Books | Coch-y-Bonddu Books-

The Gag and Gaffs are just a reminder of how badly we used to treat our quarry.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
The bog chain looking item could be an otter device to retrieve snagged tackle in a river by attaching a line and pulling from a different direction? Or maybe not?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'll be amazed if it is a compendium (the multi-winder in a pot), it's too small - my guess is that it's a treen needle-case, pressed into use for angling bits'n'bobs.

chrissh

Reaction score
What's a treen?

The word treen comes from the word tree, it literally means "of a tree'. Today antique treen should strictly be used to describe small wooden objects turned from one piece of wood, for example a bowl or a beaker although the term is used commonly to describe any small wooden item - of which there are many!!

ken more

Reaction score
Treen is a term used to describe small handmade wooden antique items, usually functional.

What were they called before they became old enough to be considered antique:confused::w:). Seriously, thanks for the reply's and my apologies to Crow for my digression.

thecrow

Reaction score
What were they called before they became old enough to be considered antique:confused::w:). Seriously, thanks for the reply's and my apologies to Crow for my digression.

I don't mind any digression as I had no idea what it could be used for in angling, I like the way threads can wind this way and that.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I remember the Eagle, but couldn't afford it. You musta bin posh!

"Treen and Scrimshaw" sounds like a comedy partnership of lawyers, doesn't it? But they're both very collectable if you know what you're looking for, which I don't.
Apart from those compendium thingies, which never seem to turn up in the charity shops.