Float Shotting

robtherake

Reaction score
I don't get my head around the following entirely but I can remember Walker having a bit of disagreement with others in the AT about where shot should be on the line.

He said it didn't matter where the bulk was because once the inertia to sink the float to the desired amount, the only effort required by the fish to sink the tip would be the same whether the float was a heavy one or a light one.
It was the tip that counted as the weight had already done the job of sinking the float to that point.

I couldn't see it at the time as that was not taking into account any sideways pull by the fish ie not straight downwards.
A fish would have to pull against water pressure to move a swan shot for instance sideways hanging under a waggler.

Just thought I would throw that into the mix.. Happy Christmas.

I wonder about inertia, John. By example, a fisherman can pull a heavy trolley, which takes little effort to move once it's going, but needs a quite hefty pull to get it moving in the first place. Perhaps this principle matters less in an environment where friction isn't such a major factor.

trotter2

Reaction score
I do use a bulk shotting rig quite often mainly when used with bolo floats or a loafer floats. Deep water, excessively fast water of buoyant baits usually dictate.
It's worth shotting up two rigs one strung out and another bulk shotted so you can chop and change things around easily.
I find by doing this you can very often take a few extra fish from a swim which you think has been fished out.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like Lutra I usually bulk shot in shallow glides of 3 or 4ft but even in runs of 12 inches!

Philip

Reaction score
The best shotting advice I was ever given had nothing to do with bait presentation. I was still a kid & a guy down on my local pond who seemed to know what he was doing (he had a box seat and proper overalls so to me was an expert!:D) explained to me that the distance between your bottom shot and the hook should always be less than the distance to the next shot up. The reason being that each shot will act as a hinge and the line will pivot from that point so if you have too long a length of line the hook will pivot up and catch on the shot above.

Totally basic and common sense but I have remembered that till this day and its saved me endless tangles :)

stripey

Reaction score
please lighten my darkness, i have been fishing for a very long time could any of you gents tell me what the KISS method of shotting is?, i am familiar with shirt button shotting,and bulk shotting and all the other variants,

sam vimes

Reaction score
please lighten my darkness, i have been fishing for a very long time could any of you gents tell me what the KISS method of shotting is?, i am familiar with shirt button shotting,and bulk shotting and all the other variants,

Keep It Simple Stupid.;) It's not a shotting method, just a reliable mantra.

Last edited:

stripey

Reaction score
Thanks for that Mr Vimes,
I've been asking all my angling mates and they had never heard that expression either! its the stupid part i couldn't suss out, is it a southern thing!

theartist

Reaction score
I use KISS principle, always have as from a very young age I've fished shallow rivers which could do neither bulk shotting nor strung out patterns, try doing either in a foot of water! Often I would also free line single maggot or have a dust shot to get it down or watch the bait instead of the float. It's amazing when you do this to see how often you get a bite which doesn't even move the float or mark the bait. This process gives such a valuable lesson in what fish do when they take a small bait and how they react to resistance.

From what I have learned any heavy bulk shotting is more or less a self hooking rig, yes you are striking home but that fish is already on so to speak by the time you do. The bulk shotting is a vehicle for getting that bait down in faster deeper rivers and it really pays to hold back well

Converting it to KISS it's all about natural presentation

Keeping a decent length between hook and bottom shot, with a dust shot inbetween if deep enough. The last main shot should always be in the lower half between hook and float.

Holding back so the bait falls naturally with the flow

And get your feeding right - it's amazing how this one gets missed so often

mikench

Reaction score
I have severe shortcomings when it comes to shooting and give up when my hands are cold! I just add enough to have enough of the float showing so I can see it. Will look out for the double stuff though;)