JW Young Heritage CP noisy bearing

paul80

Reaction score
Hi all

My JW Young Heritage Reel has developed a noisy bearing.

Anyone know how to safely remove them for cleaning and re-lubrication.

All I can see is one circlip, is that all that holds them in.

Thanks for any tips on their safe removal.

Paul

robtherake

Reaction score
Hi all

My JW Young Heritage Reel has developed a noisy bearing.

Anyone know how to safely remove them for cleaning and re-lubrication.

All I can see is one circlip, is that all that holds them in.

Thanks for any tips on their safe removal.

Paul

Most pins are pretty simple devices, Paul. Pulling the circlip almost certainly frees the bearing for examination and it can't possibly hurt to try, can it? I'd have it in bits by now, regardless.:D

seth49

Reaction score
I would try flushing the bearings out, with lighter fluid first, let it dry and relubricate with sewing machine oil,

Save you dismantling the reel perhaps, worth a try. Do this outside obviously.

sam vimes

Reaction score
In my experience, even top dollar bearing reels, fitted with top notch bearings, can be noisy as hell even when brand new. It used to really irritate me. However, I've come to the conclusion that it's really rather irrelevant, provided that the reel is running well.

trotter2

Reaction score
Like Sam said a lot of bearing reel will make a noise. Try a drop of oil it should improve.

flightliner

Reaction score
It may be a tiny bit of grit has entered the ballrace giving the reel cause to "rumble". Try exposing it and give it a blast of air at a local garage or a tin of compressed air used in computer cleaning , it may just work, if not go to the next stage and apply a little light oil.
edit -- it's just occurred to me that it seems ok for a pin to make a noise but if its a f'spool its classed as a coffee grinder and only fit for the bin !.:D

Last edited:

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

I removed the circlip today, but it only hods the ratchet ring in place, had a good look in the bearing housing and was quite surprised to only find one bearing, with the spool shaft being around an inch long I would have thought at least 2 bearings would be required. Looks like the bearing is pressed in and not going to be easy to get out without the risk of damaging it or the housing. There is no easy way of getting behind it to push the bearing out. All you have is the small hole left if the end float screw is removed and that's not big enough to get a drift in.

Will try the compressed air route next.

Paul

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

I removed the circlip today, but it only hods the ratchet ring in place, had a good look in the bearing housing and was quite surprised to only find one bearing, with the spool shaft being around an inch long I would have thought at least 2 bearings would be required. Looks like the bearing is pressed in and not going to be easy to get out without the risk of damaging it or the housing. There is no easy way of getting behind it to push the bearing out. All you have is the small hole left if the end float screw is removed and that's not big enough to get a drift in.

Will try the compressed air route next.

Paul

A lot of ball race reels rumble like bu&&ery when spun round at speed. If the reel rotates with little inhertia and continues to spin without stopping abruptly then i'd leave it alone and useit. Often ballrace reels seem to have noisey spells, no idea why. Maybe try to add some sewing machine oil and give it a few good whizzes round wiping the excess oil off the pin etc when it appears. You might find the rumble goes worse when you add oil or you might find it goes quieter. If after that the reel continues to naff you off send it to Gary Mills (he makes all the youngs reels) and he'll sort it for at little cost...better than fafffing about as you are at the moment!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Some of the reels have one bearing and can wear in the housing causing it to make a noise, not much can be done about this and as tigger said, just carry on using it ?

Bob

trotter2

Reaction score
At one point in time I had a JW heritage whilst it was ok it was not as smooth at running as the okumas . But was a perfectly usable reel . I would not mess about with it if its not an easy fix. It's an expensive reel and you can easily knacker it up if you don't know what your doing.
Send it to mills and get it sorted mate.

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

Have you got any contact details for Gary Mills

Thanks

Paul

paul80

Reaction score
Hi all

Managed to remove both bearings and replaced with new ones, now spinning nice a quietly.

It turned out to be the tiny 6mm one that was noisy, but replaced both just in case.

Had to make a blind bearing puller from a wall bolt but the inner one came out with a gentle push though the end float screw hole, using a longer screw.

Paul

trotter2

Reaction score
Some photos maybe useful how you did that please.

paul80

Reaction score
Got a couple will post tomorrow.

No Rocket science or brain surgery involved though.