Do you have a favourite.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I'm thinking here of contributions to FM. Obviously your choice will be influenced by your particular style of fishing/experience, or just a thirst for knowledge.

This is ''not'' an attempt at creating a league table, heaven forbid, but simply curiosity on my part. Since my main interest is predator fishing (lures), then it will come as no surprise that I gravitate to predator related thread's or post's. Which seem to be in the doldrums in recent years. But what about you?

theartist

Reaction score
I always find the general fishing and coarse fishing sections to be more or less the same so use the new posts/today's posts tab a lot, often I won't look to see what section they are in at all

I find if you scroll down through the main page there's a lot of different thread sections but some don't get many posts at all which is a shame. Variety is the spice of life for me and I find it just as enjoyable reading about stuff I don't do.

The bait box is always good for some laughs and although there can be disagreements most arguments are good debates on the whole and stop short of name calling, which we deserve some credit for as many mainstream sites can't claim this.

So yeah I like em all ;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always find the general fishing and coarse fishing sections to be more or less the same so use the new posts/today's posts tab a lot, often I won't look to see what section they are in at all

I do the same, just check out todays posts and it covers any new topics or replys.

Keith M

Reaction score
I do the same as tigger and theartist and select 'New Posts' or 'Today's Posts' to see new posts rather than filter by specific individual subjects.

Keith.

robtherake

Reaction score
Ditto. The posts I enjoy the most, though, are nostalgic reminiscences from our older members - tales that are quite often taken up by other anglers who share those particular memories, painting vivid pictures of times past which appear nowhere else.

mikench

Reaction score
Ditto to all of the above. I just enjoy having the occasional post on a wide range of fishing activities but tend to keep to the general or course fishing tabs and the bait box for the odd joke. If i see a post which interests me or which enables me to contribute i will do so.

I still have an awful lot to learn and to put into practice but that is all part of the fun. I also feel that most if not all of the regular contributors on here are decent sorts who will always try to help and inform. I would go so far as to say the standard of behaviour, grammer, content and bonhomie is vastly superior to other bulletin boards i have experienced and is no doubt a tribute to the moderators.

I just need some more skill!:rolleyes:

steve2

Reaction score
Because most of my fishing is now done with Lures I look for anything about that style of fishing. Other than that a quick look at any new post that might interest me.

john step

Reaction score
My vote is for todays posts as well as jokes. I like to respond to newbies to welcome them as I feel it will encourage participation and not the grab and go attitude of some that register just to ask something then disappear contributing nothing.

cg74

Reaction score
My vote goes to you Derek, as without your input especially regards starting new threads, this forum would be a much quieter and poorer site.

flightliner

Reaction score
I tend to go to "todays post" like others do, once in a while I come across a thread thats been going for a while that I,ve missed but its pretty rare.
I enjoy all forms of angling , every which way it comes so I reckon they're all favourites by definition.

terry m

Reaction score
For me, in this order:-
1. Bait Box
2. General
3. Pred
4. Coarse

I ignore the rest unless something on the main listing catches my eye.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As many others I tend to hit the new posts/today's posts tab - usually a full page by the time I arise.............;)

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Threads like the "how did you get on today" one often throws up some great catches and interesting up to date observations and nice photos.

My favourite species related threads are for Roach (thanks Mark Wintle for writing Big Roach 2 which i got for Xmas and is a great read!), Chub, Tench, Crucians and the like as carp and even Pike rather leave me cold. I know fishing for the latter invariably does.

Quivertipping, floatfishing and other oldskool approaches tend to lure me in as well - as do recollections of past times and past venues.

And then theres the humour from Lord Paul and many others - lots of quick witted members still even though some have sadly passed away or moved on.

I also miss some of the more contentious threads and debates eg from Ron C and others a few years back, but not the petty arguments and trolling into which much of it descended.

Last edited:

nhs service

Reaction score
I lurk around the tackle threads of this and other forums.
Ok, you might get 15 different replies but over time certain products stand out. And that is extremely useful, when I was on the lookout for a new pin the Okuma reels got consistently good feedback. As luck would have it one came up at a bargain price on a used tackle site and I am delighted with it.
Thanks to those who take the time to post opinions and advice. It is much appreciated.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The "New Posts" tab is my first port of call. I'll read anything that pops up that takes my fancy. However, I generally take little notice of sections and topics that I have little interest in or knowledge of. Fly Fishing, Predator Fishing and Sea Fishing sub forums are not places you'll see me post with any regularity.