Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ice hole fishing... for CARP!

Quote Originally Posted by Frothey View Post

Has anybody used it? do you fish for carp in winter?

Blimey - it's hardly new, was being used in the 70's. Surprised you seem so excited by it when you sell it, so must have been aware of it?
    We research and test all sorts of things. I didn't think about it been used for carp in winter though. Are you suggesting it was originally used as part of the HNV experiment by Fred Wilton and others? It might have.

Actually I remember looking into SPI a few years ago. Bradford once had a huge, ill-fated artificial silk factory that spun it into a thread, my original interest, also meat analogues too due to their porosity. It struck me that despite its high protein vegetable content, an isolate derived from de-fatted soya flour interferes with the binding ability and rolls poorly compared to the cheap full fat soya flour variety. I.e. fat-less ingredients affects rolling ability, especially notable in a egg-free recipe.
    I was also intrigued what effect the phytoestrogens would have on the carp olfactory given that there is an over abundance in the form of chemicals (xenoestrogens) in the environment. In the 70's I doubt anyone would have studied its effects to bind to estrogen receptors - in the carps body specifically.

Not realising of course that its exactly the sort of ingredient that might be ingested easily in colder conditions due to its low oil content.

Even traditional bird food baits have a higher fat content than baits made with soy protein isolate.

Blog Entries

In the 60 or so years that I have been fishing I have encountered many "ice-holes" in fishing . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

Fred's early recipes were really simple but evolved into the 4/4/4/4 mix that everyone based their milks on. But yes, isolate was used in the 70's - Lots of recipes in JB's bit in Carp Fever.

I looked at the oestrogen route a few years back, there's a horse supplement which is rich in it, but whether it made much difference is debatable.
    You're born, you take sh*t. You get out in the world, you take more sh*t. You climb a little higher, you take less sh*t. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what sh*t even looks like. It's just a shame I'm still on the first rung!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    In the 60 or so years that I have been fishing I have encountered many "ice-holes" in fishing . . . .

What do you mean? I really don't get this

I had two small carp on two days running that I only knew about when I pulled the bolt rig in to pack up. They were both hooked where I had put the bait in the first place. This is well above zero degrees west Cornwall in four foot of water. I'm stumped at how to explain this.

Did they grab it when it moved? Did it suck the 20mm pineapple boilie and just sit there with a hook in its mouth? You can usually rationalise fish behaviour to suite your views but I have to say this has left me with no explaination whatsoever.

Lots of recipes in JB's bit in Carp Fever.
    I'll have a borrow of a friends copy, thanks frothy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12