A new fixed spool reel....

robcourt82

Reaction score
Interesting... I have 2 Drennan fd3000's and they have loads of little features that would make them perfect if the clutch was smooth and they didn't twist the line so much. I've also got 2 shimano aernos 3000's, they're a perfect size, the clutch is sublime but the anti reverse switch is in the worst place ever and is impossible to find even if you know where it is. The next reel I have that I've used on my matchpros is a really old team Daiwa x. It was one of the original small bodied front drag reels that sort of started off the trend to what most people use today. This is my favourite of the fixed spool reels
However if I had to put hand on heart and pick any of my reels to use on a matchpro fishing for roach on a river it would be my new style Abu 506 close face reel. I use mine on the wensum, britford and waggler fishing on the Thames and it just ticks all the boxes. It's light enough, compact enough, is simple to use, doesn't tangle, has a slightly slower retrieve so the hooklink doesn't spin up and you don't have to keep clicking a bale arm over. I absolutely love mine.
The only thing I would say is that I have 13,14+15ft rods and haven't ever tried them on anything shorter.
Hope that helps.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I've had a fair few reels in my time, both budget and top end. The new Daiwa TDR QD is a dream and the Shimano Technium is a 1st class workhorse.

Daiwa in the 2508 size
Shimano in the 3000 sizzle

Just my ten penneth

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Again, my thanks to all the above who have posted...........I do intend sorting this PDQ, BUT not until the prep decorating is under control and not taking up all of my waking moments. A bit difficult to concentrate on reels (or fishing) when the house looks as though a bomb has hit it.............

My first port of call will be the Daiwa, with the wife footing the bill as it's my birthday come March. It will be my first Daiwa ever if I buy one (being a Shimano man) but with all the recommendations for it I don't see how I can ignore it.

I still intend having a play before I buy, though!

Thanks again..