Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wink A new fixed spool reel....

I have several rods in the Drennan Matchpro Ultralight range which I use with a centrepin for very close-in roach fishing, and on most days this set up is absolutely fine. Occasionally however, I do see some good roach topping beyond the range of the reel and often enough to want to try for them....
    Therefore I'm looking for a decent reel with a nice smooth action to match the shorter rods, and for something generally thought of as exceptional I don't mind paying top dollar. Most of my existing fixed spool reels are Shimano but I don't mind moving away from this make for the right reel.

I don't need super fast retrieve speeds but I do need two spools with maximum line strength of 4lbs or so, and generally a lot less than this.
    I'm not casting to the moon either....

I do like quality, though!

Any recommendations/help with this appreciated..

Thanks

Default Re: A new fixed spool reel....

From my own limited experience depending on budget.
    Value for money rover ceratec outstanding for the price.
    Shimano exage or dawa tdr.
    Some of the top end front drag shimano do not have anti reverse these days so keep this in mind .

There's little point in suggesting the reels I use, they were discontinued a while back. However, I could point you in the direction of reels that I would buy if I actually needed one. The first pick would be the Shimano Super GT RD. It's not unnecessarily fast and it doesn't have the delicately thin bail arm of the top line reels. It's also about half the price of the top line direct equivalent. The downside is that it doesn't have the top spec bearings.

If you can cope with the thin bail, extra cost, a faster retrieve and much higher price, the Stradic Ci4+ RA is available. From my point of view, I don't really value the weight reduction highly enough to pay the premium. However, that might be different if I were using ultra lightweight rods of less than 13'.

With both of the above reels, it's the large diameter, and relatively shallow spool, that I particularly value. The higher diameter casts so much better than lower diameter equivalents.

If I were to go for a front drag reel, I'd be looking at the Aero FA Match or Aero FA Feeder. Both have the large diameter spools I value. However, these also both come with spool reducers that drastically alter the spool capacities. The downside is that they are relatively weighty reels. They shouldn't be too portly for fishing techniques where the rods spend the majority of their time sitting in rests. I'm also not convinced that they've got the handles right. I would prefer a double on the feeder reel and single on the float reel.

Unlike most older Shimano models, all four of these reels have decent metal line clips.

Should you decide to look at alternative front drag Shimanos, be wary. They've done away with the anti-reverse switch on some of the top end models. I know that many UK coarse anglers couldn't cope with that.

This one is superb and reel bargain (see what I did there?) https://www.fishingrepublic.net/coar...35OxoCrUTw_wcB

Saga, Have a look at the Drennan series 7 float reel. Comes with 3 spools.
    Nice and small capacities. Fits in the hand beautifully so your finger is in the right place for casting. Good clutch. Solid feel. Fold away handle.
    I love it.

John, I ain't looking, I was recommending to Tee Cee. Having had several makes of reels I am firmly in the get what you pay for camp, and from personal experience I am in the Shimano and Daiwa camp (not camp in a camp way but camp in a manly butch sort of way)

Quote Originally Posted by sagalout View Post
    John, I ain't looking, I was recommending to Tee Cee. Having had several makes of reels I am firmly in the get what you pay for camp, and from personal experience I am in the Shimano and Daiwa camp (not camp in a camp way but camp in a manly butch sort of way)
    Yes sorry. Elderly moment.

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Elderly moment.
    I wouldn't know about them

Harefield have a large selection of top end reels Tony, worth a visit...

Boring though it might be.
    Shimano Stradic 300. New about £70.
    Jap 2nd hand about the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast