Another Pollution

thecrow

Reaction score
http://www.shropshirestar.com/…/hundreds-of-fish-die-in-os…/

The whole ecosystem of this river has now been destroyed affecting everything that lives in it not just fish. no doubt whoever is responsible (there is information saying it was from a tanker working with the EA ) will get a slap on the wrist and go on their merry way. Its time these acts received heavy punishments even goal would not be to much.

Looks like the link doesn't work not unusual for me anyone help?

steve2

Reaction score
Pollution of our rivers and countryside as always been seen as a cheap way of disposing of what you don’t want.
Until the polluter is made to pay for the cleanup it will continue. Put the directors in court and not the workers who are told to cut corners for maximum profit.
There are too many “accidents” in the water industry.

The bad one

Reaction score
Pollution of our rivers and countryside as always been seen as a cheap way of disposing of what you don’t want.
Until the polluter is made to pay for the cleanup it will continue. Put the directors in court and not the workers who are told to cut corners for maximum profit.
There are too many “accidents” in the water industry.
Well when we row-back on envo legislation in not to many year time, there won't be any accidents at all, as it will be perfectly legal to turn the rivers into the Victorian sewers they should be. Hell fire we've been living in an aberration for the last 40 years of cleaner rivers. Lets get back to making Britain Great Again!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Currently there is no supporting evidence to suggest that this is not, as described, being just an accidental release.

Until and unless there is firm evidence to the contrary then it is very premature to intimate otherwise.

When in doubt the old adage is well advised: don't jump to conclusions but allow the facts to lead you to them . . . . . .

thecrow

Reaction score
as described, being just an accidental release.

Oh another one? does that make a difference to the damage done or the punishment the perpetrator should receive?

Where chemicals are concerned there should never be an accidental release, they happen because someone in the chain of using these chemicals has done something they shouldn't have or not done something they should have. I worked in the chemical industry for 14 years and at both plants I worked in there was never an accidental release, the reason was simple, strict SOPs that were followed religiously by those working with whatever chemical was involved and believe me there were some very dangerous ones involved.

mikench

Reaction score
The polluter pays save when it is UU it seems! Any fine should reflect the damage caused and be used to restock,replenish and to restore. Sadly it won't:(

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh another one? does that make a difference to the damage done or the punishment the perpetrator should receive?

Where chemicals are concerned there should never be an accidental release, they happen because someone in the chain of using these chemicals has done something they shouldn't have or not done something they should have. I worked in the chemical industry for 14 years and at both plants I worked in there was never an accidental release, the reason was simple, strict SOPs that were followed religiously by those working with whatever chemical was involved and believe me there were some very dangerous ones involved.

The direct reasons for any pollution incident never negate the damage.

That SOP's are either ignored or not followed, for whatever reason, is still "accidental" as opposed to a deliberate act or deed of sabotage.

The point I am making however is that until we know, for certain, the cause then conjecture is unwise.

thecrow

Reaction score
That SOP's are either ignored or not followed, for whatever reason, is still "accidental" as opposed to a deliberate act or deed of sabotage.

Sorry Peter but that statement is absolutely wrong, the fact that someone chooses to ignore or not follow an SOP is not an accident it is a deliberate act on the part of someone that shouldn't be involved with the process through lack of training or they have an I know best attitude none of which are accidental meaning that the release of this chemical into a waterway was not accidental it was caused through a deliberate act, they may not have intended the chemical to enter the water but the fact is that it did and it did so because of someones deliberate act.

steve2

Reaction score
One thing that always puzzles me is that we all need clean water to stay alive so why isn't it seen as a great offence to pollute it.
I think it was **** Walker that once said that the only way to save our rivers is to only take drinking water directly from them and not from the ground.
I know he meant over abstraction was killing the rivers but it would have also help stop pollution.