Korum meat screws for cheese paste?

chevin1

Reaction score
Title say it all basically, think it could be a better way then straight on the hook as you can and do miss bites by the hook not pulling through the paste. Could always make softer paste and save a few bob but nowt wrong with more tackle. ;)

What do you guys think?

The items in question:Meat Screws | Korum | Korum: Fishing Made Easy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've had success using a screw for cheesepaste. I've been making my own using some industrial springs bought off Ebay for pennies.

However, I recently lost a fish, the line parted company at the hook, it's left me rather concerned about a metal screw type object ending up in the gut of the fish which I can only imagine will do it no good at all. I like using a hair rig for cheesepaste so for the time being I've ditched the screw idea and wrapping the paste around a pellet.

I'd be interested on thoughts about this too.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
have you seen terry hearn's floater cake wrapped in cheese paste method ?

chrissh

Reaction score
try the korum paste cages

1288886591_Paste-Cage-Seq17_WEB.jpg

View image in gallery

chevin1

Reaction score
I don't believe I have Matt, will have to check it out mate.

Thanks Chris, didn't realise they made them. Guess that's more tackle I'll have to buy now. Not that I'm complaining.:wh

chrissh

Reaction score
You could try Korum paste spring or hair rig a small pellet or imitation sweet corn and wrap the paste around them

Philip

Reaction score
I now use these for virtually all my river Carp fishing with hard baits. Mounted on a small "D" loop on the back of the hook it virtually (-totally-) eliminates the problem of the bait being able to turn over the hook point and of course keeps the hook proud of the bait. These are maybe a little short & narrow for Cheese paste unless its rock hard..but in principle thats how I would fish it.

It also ensures a very short hook/bait separtion which when Chub are the target is probably a good thing. Using long hairs for Chub is not a good idea in my opinion as they often mouth a bait on the edge of their lips.

philip-albums-misc-picture4386-bait-screw.jpg

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I don't believe I have Matt, will have to check it out mate.

Thanks Chris, didn't realise they made them. Guess that's more tackle I'll have to buy now. Not that I'm complaining.:wh

Don't do it:rolleyes: you will never stop buying tackle but it is fun:)

chevin1

Reaction score
Too late Mike, already done it!:w

There's so many methods to try, guess I'm going to have a fun few week trying them all out. I especially like the screw idea if it sits bang on next to the hook.

Thanks everyone :D

john step

Reaction score
My vote goes for the Korum bait cages. Two sizes but keep the hair short to stop the cage flipping over the hook.
I used to use the Enterprise round bait cages but the Korum ones are far easier to load.
The other thing to use is a plastic corn or two on a hair wrapped in paste. When the paste dissolves off you still have bait on.

chevin1

Reaction score
My vote goes for the Korum bait cages. Two sizes but keep the hair short to stop the cage flipping over the hook.
I used to use the Enterprise round bait cages but the Korum ones are far easier to load.
The other thing to use is a plastic corn or two on a hair wrapped in paste. When the paste dissolves off you still have bait on.

Just ordered my self some large cages, can't wait to try them out. Hopefully a 5lb Chub will have them;)

Like the corn idea as well, some decent bream in my local river. Wouldn't mind a few of them either.

dave m

Reaction score
i have just made myself some little micro feeders to clip to my lead swivel to add a bit of paste of a squashed glugged boilie as a bit of attraction when barbel fishing.
this is basically a thin hair curler cut in half, but you could easily cut it into smaller sections to make an improvised bait cage/paste holder for on a short hair next to the hook.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Indeed you did but length wise and not diameter. Still a good idea though for larger fish!:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is what I've been using but after having lost one, I fear if it ends up inside a fish it ain't coming out again. Will need to find a different use for my job lot of springs.

4FC0DB3D-DE77-442F-88C2-D378B2CF95E7.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is what I've been using but after having lost one, I fear if it ends up inside a fish it ain't coming out again. Will need to find a different use for my job lot of springs.

I reckon Zebedee must have swallowed one of them there springs..................

......it's bedtime :eek:mg:

robtherake

Reaction score

Never lost one yet, though the ones I've been using are a lighter wire gauge and sometimes end up stretched out. I have a feeling that this is something that happens in the net when hair and bait are hanging outside the mouth. Is it possible that yours broke off in the net?