Magots and casters

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Bought some maggots Friday for fishing but didn't end up going this weekend . How long does it make for maggots to turn into sinking casters in this weather they are kept in the garage where is cold .

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Il see how they are doing before the weekend if still maggots il use them again next weekend

mikench

Reaction score
I bought 2 pints last tuesday( ever the optimist) and I have loads left and will use them later next week. I found they last two weeks if kept cool. Mine are in a fridge in the garage

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thanks lads . are casters a better bait then maggots for attraction properties ?

rayner

Reaction score
If the maggots are warm they definitely turn quicker. I definitely wouldn't want the maggots to sweat. Once they start to turn I riddle them every couple of hours more frequent if hotter temperatures like mid summer.
The casters I take off go into my pellet pump to halt them going darker. I like to take them off whilst they are still white, or at least paler.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I use casters, but don't bother to keep them after a days fishing, unless i am going the next day.

Fresh is best, and sometimes casters will sort out the better fish, but not always.

I add casters to ground bait, mashing some casters up, and leaving some whole in the feed.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Hear quite a few people using hemp and casters in a typical black cap type feeder with casters on the hook around a 16

rayner

Reaction score
I use casters, but don't bother to keep them after a days fishing, unless i am going the next day.

Fresh is best, and sometimes casters will sort out the better fish, but not always.

I add casters to ground bait, mashing some casters up, and leaving some whole in the feed.

This has always been the advice given regarding fresh is best.
Being a tight fisted old git I never throw any baits away, casters are a bait I use very regular and I never don't save older casters.
When silver fishing fresh may well be better but carp will eat anything and what I call fermented casters work fine for them.
I reckon a number of fermented baits work like worms juice and hemp in particular, the only disadvantage as I see is the stench, get over that and anything goes for me.

psmith

Reaction score
I bought some nice fresh maggots, kept them in the boot for two days in the cold weather, then the fridge - all seemed fine.

Took them out for half hour - all foam and sweat so binned them, the remaining half in the fridge were starting to sweat too.

Any ideas?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
When maggots start to foam just riddle them off into a large tub and they'll dry out. Once dry add some fresh maize flour or sawdust.

Keith M

Reaction score

The only thing that I would add is; when I am using Caster on the hook I keep mine in a water filled maggot box to keep them sinking during the day, with a few kept out to turn into floaters which when used together with a sinker will slow the baits descent, especially useful when there are Rudd or other fish feeding high in the water.

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
what does pumping do ? causes a vacuum and killing them ?

Opening the pump to put other casters in as they come off gives them enough air. Pumping the casters halts their progression and stops them turning to floating husk.
The lighter the caster the quicker it sinks, if fishing up in the water a darker caster works better as it sinks slower.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Opening the pump to put other casters in as they come off gives them enough air. Pumping the casters halts their progression and stops them turning to floating husk.
The lighter the caster the quicker it sinks, if fishing up in the water a darker caster works better as it sinks slower.

Just to say the lighter in colour the quicker they sink, just in case anyone things its lighter in weight :eek:mg: