Water knot paternoster set up

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have been advised to use this for river fishing with a feeder or a link ledger sliding up and down the loop .

Why use this rather than a semi bolt rig or free running rig .

Can anyone explain how to tie it please ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks but why is there an advantage over it rather than a semi bolt . Like I use gripper stops 9" apart with a ledger bead between them and you can easily adjust the hook length .

robertroach

Reaction score
I always find this a reliable knot and so simple - it doesn't catch on weed or get tangled or twisted. I prefer it to using gripper stops and beads and all those extra bits and pieces people use to make more complicated rigs. Also in a current it doesn't create any drag.

I make 4 turns, not 3 as in the video, but not sure if this makes any difference.

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Still have to use a ledger bead if you want to swap from feeder to a lead or a link with pinched ssg's .

Is there less resistance with it compared to inline semi bolt rig ?

In theory does the same job when the knot hits the feeder or lead .

rubio

Reaction score
It's the rig I use for the vast majority of my legering on the river, for roach, chub and dace typically and it definitely doesn't involve complications with beads etc.
K.I.S.S. - for me all that stuff is a case of the more the messier.
Stick with the basic rig for a while and see how effective it can be.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm guessing you use a link with swan shot pinched on ?

Il have a go tying it later , what size loop is about right ?

iain t

Reaction score
I use 2 stops with the main line and a 4-inch piece of mono threaded through them. This way i can adjust where i want the link. Learnt this from a Martin Bowler Chub video on YouTube

rubio

Reaction score
No loop at all with water knot. I do tie a single overhand at the bottom of the tag end that I fix the shot, or feeder, to. Just to prevent it sliding off too easily.

The 'Martin Bowler' method he constructs with flourocarbon for the extra sinking quality using a stop as you mention.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Good point ! Why do some tie 2 knots and create a long loop parallel to mainline ?

rubio

Reaction score
I believe in that instance you are referring to a classic(trent) feeder set-up, where the feeder runs for a short distance freely. There will likely be a whole series of small overhand loops incorporated to keep hooklength clear in flowing water.