Centrepin reel ratchet noise...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Daft subject I know :eek:mg: but I think where all daft on here anyhow ;).
Has anyone got a favorite C/P ratchet sound, or a most hated one? I think my most hated C/P ratchet is my Adcock Stantons, nasty sound if ever I heard one!
Favorite sounding ones have gott'a be my Richard Carter aerial Gem, Chris Lythes, Gary Mills, okumas and youngs reels. Out of them the Aerial Gem is the nicest and I think the Okuma Bowler is second :w.

nhs service

Reaction score
I openly admit to being daft.
I like the soft purr of my Match Aerial, but if I'm honest not something I have thought about too much.
Lovely things to collect of course but for a pin user different horses for courses is as natural as the often far more extensive collection acquired by fixed spool fans.
Or is my daftness showing through?
All the best.

lutra

Reaction score
Only use it when I'm not fishing. I go fishing not to have things not screeming at me.

Keith M

Reaction score
When trotting I only use my ratchet when setting up, moving swims or laying the rod down, I also occasionally use the check when I'm baiting the hook.

When I am using the rod for margin fishing or I'm using the lift method for Tench etc. then I will have the check on but I will turn it off as soon as I can.

Keith

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Have to agree my Adcock Stanton sounds the worst, along with a Spedia narrow drum, my Arnold kingpin is noisy too,my Matt Hayes limited edition is really noisy,my trudex is a bit loud too.

The ones I like the sound of best are, a youngs aerodex,this is one pin I use a lot and it's a good reel,a youngs purist two,a youngs Ray Walton rolling pin, and my favourite at the moment a match ariel.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Only use it when I'm not fishing. I go fishing not to have things not screeming at me.

Get that Brian...:eek:mg:.

NHS, your right, I forgot about the sound of the match aerial, they have a nice sound also.

I think my favorite reel for legering s my okuma sheffield as it has a decently solid drag and sounds great when a barbel hooks itself and bolts for the hills !

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, I think the Aerial has a very nice sound, but like others I don't have it on generally speaking during fishing unless I'm 'inching back' when I can then control the inching.....

I have a wide drum Speedia of some vintage which also has a decent sound and I have used the ratchet as a off the cuff 'baitrunner' type of thing on occasions, when fishing close in for medium carp. Goes off like a mad thing when a fish takes and on occasion I have collected a bruised finger as I engage the fight - serves me bl%%dy right!!

tiggers c'pin collection (and that's all one can call it!) has to be admired, though....

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Get that Brian...:eek:mg:.

NHS, your right, I forgot about the sound of the match aerial, they have a nice sound also.

I think my favorite reel for legering s my okuma sheffield as it has a decently solid drag and sounds great when a barbel hooks itself and bolts for the hills !

I await that sound with eager anticipation Ian, probably accompanied by sloshing sounds as I fall in or over!:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
tiggers c'pin collection (and that's all one can call it!) has to be admired, though....

Tank's Tee Cee, I have been letting them go so they're thinner on the ground now lol. I let my Paul Witcher go several months ago as in all honesty I didn't like it, it was just to delicate for me and when using it I kept thinking I was gonn'a bust it somehow. It did suffer seriously bad line stick especially if you went lower in diameter so not for me.

john step

Reaction score
Trudex good. Marco something Dragon or other bad.
Mind you I do use the Dragon carping at close range as its very robust and the ratchet is so LOUD it acts as a bite alarm:eek:

greenie62

Reaction score
Unfortunately even my cheapo reel's ratchet noise isn't enough to drown out the racket of Tackle Tarts dropping brand names! :D:D

Clodhopper

Reaction score
"When trotting I only use my ratchet when setting up, moving swims or laying the rod down, I also occasionally use the check when I'm baiting the hook."

Me too... and on the rare occasion that I need to unhook a fish.

If the ratchet screams, it's normally because the fish has been returned and the hook is caught in my trousers, as I wander off for a celebratory coffee.

mikench

Reaction score
That is what I like about this forum; we are all a self deprecatory lot with a sense of humour!;) Long may it continue!:)

nhs service

Reaction score
My first Adcock Stanton didn't even have a ratchet.
Trotting on the Warwickshire Avon I got an apocalyptic birds nest around the handle, I kid you not other birds nests have posters of this bad boy on their bedroom wall.
Being an idiot I bit the line off at the reel, pulled the float and its attached line out of the rings, then took the reel off the rod.
Dropped it obviously, disappeared into 10ft of murky, freezing cold Avon.
I spent the rest of the match fishing for it with my biggest hooks.
No good,
Even the best reels can't compensate for stupidity.

trotter2

Reaction score
The only time I use the ratchet is when moving from one swim to another or sometimes when unhooking a monster.