Link legering

Philip

Reaction score
Can I suggest that you try this experiment:

Tie a 6 inch link to a swivel of your choice with say a 1oz lead or feeder on the end of it, slide the link backwards and forwards on your reel line

Then compare the resistance with

Tie a 6 inch link to a small bead (I get mine from the Hobby Shop) with the 1oz lead or feeder, slide it backwards and forwards on your reel line

You will find that the link with the bead slides with less resistance. If you shorten the link to 1 inch you will also feel a lot less juddering as the link slides backwards and forwards. I am convinced that this is better having tested it many, many times in both still and running waters.
Peter I know what you mean however i think the test your suggesting is not really representative of what happens when the rig is actually being used.

The problem is that your test is with the weight being slid along a stationary length of line. In that case the narrower "neck" or thickness of the swivel eye will cause more resistance as the lead on it is pulling the line into a tigher "V" than it does with a thicker walled bead which spread the load over a greater area. The impression being that the bead gives less resistance.

However in the water thats not what happens...in that case the line is pulled through the swivel or bead with the lead in situ (or semi situ, it may move a bit depending on the size of the lead)

Not sure if I am describing that well enough but hopefully you see what I mean.

Basically to put it another way a more representative test would be to put the lead on the floor and then pull the slack line through swivel or bead. My guess is that you wont notice any difference between the two however I bet that if someone was able to measure it in a laboratory the bead would actually impart more friction/resistance on anything other than a perfectly straight pull because it would have more surface area for the line to pass over. This is of course assuming the swivel and bead both had equally smooth finishes, else that would skew the test.

...I think !:D;)

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
.........and they say it isn't rocket science; sounds even more complicated :rolleyes:

I need a drink of tea and a rest....i'm pooped out after reading these posts ;).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
it is simple. The bead has a greater surface area than the eye of the swivel. So therefore it will cause more friction when the line passes through it.

Simple enough ?

:D

Yeah, but there shouldn't be much friction when immersed in liquid and it's made of smooth materials :wh

Philip

Reaction score
Yeah, but there shouldn't be much friction when immersed in liquid and it's made of smooth materials

The question was which imparted the MOST friction.

The fact they could be immersed in liquid, gas or even porridge ....thats all arbitary.:p

peterjg

Reaction score
Philip: thanks for your excellent reply, I totally accept your logic re the bead having a bigger surface area. Yes, the effect, in water, will possibly be different but having actually used this method for a long time now I am convinced of its efficiency especially when the the bead is not tied to a link but is running on a short loop of line.