Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Link legering

Default Link legering

What does the link signify and how is this method different to using a feeder or bomb with an attached hook length?

Default Re: Link legering

The idea originally was to enable easy adjustment of weight (by adding or subtracting swan shot) so as to just hold bottom in the flow. Also to allow snagged tackle to free itself more easily, as the shots could slide off the link, assuming the leger itself was snagged rather than the hook.

The first link leger was simply made by folding a short length of thicker mono over the reel line, pinching on swan shot and using a smaller shot as a stop.

Later refinements included a swivel or a sliding bead to which the link was attached, and/or a rubber stop into which the swivel on a lighter hooklength (if used) could be pushed, to reduce the risk of tangles.

Thanks for your reply. It will take me a little time to visualise that but i will eventually!

I think of this as school boy style fishing, exactly how I did it when a kid. With all the fancy gizmos available to us nowadays we sometimes overlook such things.

Simplicity, fish safe, versatile, instantly adjustable, effective and...........cheap

why the double line to what looks like a bead and beyond? Thanks for taking the trouble to reply by the way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    why the double line to what looks like a bead and beyond? Thanks for taking the trouble to reply by the way.
    It's all to do with the light. It's called shadow.

It's not double hooklink that's a shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    I think of this as school boy style fishing, exactly how I did it when a kid. With all the fancy gizmos available to us nowadays we sometimes overlook such things.

Simplicity, fish safe, versatile, instantly adjustable, effective and...........cheap

I often use this set up when laying on.

Blog Entries

I did originally use the link leger in its basic form as s63 showed in his pic; but nowerdays I incorporate a rubber gripper stop on my main line instead of a shot, with a small link bead on my link leger simply because I once damaged my line when pinching the stop shot onto my main line; which resulted in a lost fish.
    (see diagram below).

The rubber gripper stop also allows me to change the length of the hooklength as often as I want without any damage to the line.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 08-02-2017 at 13:20.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Go on Youtube and search Martin Bowler Chub fishing. He shows how he makes a link leger.
    It's one of the old time most basic rigs that is still widely used today. Caught my PB Barbel using this rig.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast