Hook recommendation

thecrow

Reaction score
Strange that what I would consider to be the same line has different breaking strains for each given BS on Daiwa Sensor.

Daiwa Sensor 4lb 5.88lb 0.205mm 0.20mm
Brown 6lb 8.5lb 0.235mm 0.22mm
8lb 10.75lb 0.26mm 0.25mm
10lb 14.63lb 0.31mm 0.30mm
12lb 16.5lb 0.33mm 0.32mm
15lb 17.63lb 0.37mm 0.36mm
18lb 21.63lb 0.405mm 0.40mm
20lb 25lb 0.435mm 0.43mm
25lb 31lb 0.520mm 0.51mm
30lb 32.13lb 0.570mm 0.57mm

Daiwa Sensor 8lb 10.12lb 0.26mm 0.25mm
Clear 10lb 15.87lb 0.31mm 0.30mm
12lb 16.75lb 0.33mm 0.32mm
15lb 21.37lb 0.37mm 0.35mm
18lb 24.25lb 0.405mm 0.40mm

jon atkinson

Reaction score
I steer clear of anything Guru these days, I paid the price with their line (Dragline?) so I give 'em a wide berth now.

And...

I dislike orange! :D

I had a very bad experience with a MAP rod several years ago & I vowed to myself that I'd never buy any of their kit again. Fast forward a couple of years, looking for a hook length box & guess whose was my preferred model?

I'm not sure that there are many, perhaps even any tackle brands that are at the top of their game throughout their entire range, and as ever personal preference (& prejudice) will have a significant influence. I love Drennan rods but would probably never buy one of their reels (& that's without ever even having examined one 'in the flesh', just a personal bias).

I use several Guru hooks (their F1 maggot is a particular fave) & they have some decent feeders. I have used their N-Gauge line for hook lengths on occasion too, although it isn't generally my preferred choice. Oh, & their catapult is very good too! That is the limit of my experience of Guru products however...

Clearly I cherry pick, & I suspect that I'm not alone but I guess that it's ideally sensible to keep your options open when it comes to tackle choices :wh

B

binka

Fair point Jon.

I still don't like orange though :D

Joking aside my local tackle shop is moving to larger premises soon and the owner's excitement turned to confusion as he told me, to no noticeable reaction, that he was having an entire Guru stand installed.

He swears by 'em.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Fair point Jon.

I still don't like orange though :D

Joking aside my local tackle shop is moving to larger premises soon and the owner's excitement turned to confusion as he told me, to no noticeable reaction, that he was having an entire Guru stand installed.

He swears by 'em.

If you haven't already seen it this will give a whole new perspective on orange!

That seem to be the way of things in tackle shops of late; shopping by brand rather than by category - pretty much all of the shops that I use seem to have a Korda section, a Guru Section, a Maver section Etc. whether they get an incentive for doing this I don't know, but I doubt that it will influence my shopping patterns either way...

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
If you haven't already seen it this will give a whole new perspective on orange!

That seem to be the way of things in tackle shops of late; shopping by brand rather than by category - pretty much all of the shops that I use seem to have a Korda section, a Guru Section, a Maver section Etc. whether they get an incentive for doing this I don't know, but I doubt that it will influence my shopping patterns either way...

Absolutely brilliant PMSL......:D

---------- Post added at 07:25 ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 ----------

I had a very bad experience with a MAP rod several years ago & I vowed to myself that I'd never buy any of their kit again. Fast forward a couple of years, looking for a hook length box & guess whose was my preferred model?

I'm not sure that there are many, perhaps even any tackle brands that are at the top of their game throughout their entire range, and as ever personal preference (& prejudice) will have a significant influence. I love Drennan rods but would probably never buy one of their reels (& that's without ever even having examined one 'in the flesh', just a personal bias).

I use several Guru hooks (their F1 maggot is a particular fave) & they have some decent feeders. I have used their N-Gauge line for hook lengths on occasion too, although it isn't generally my preferred choice. Oh, & their catapult is very good too! That is the limit of my experience of Guru products however...

Clearly I cherry pick, & I suspect that I'm not alone but I guess that it's ideally sensible to keep your options open when it comes to tackle choices :wh

Totally agree Jon, exactly how I would view the tackle industry, in respect there's good and bad items in virtually every company that manufacturers tackle but is just simply down to us to pick and choose what we prefer to use,

House hold named items won't generally be a problem but it's all of the new companies emerging and even old companies bring out new stuff onto the market,

If there's not much write up about such items it's then perhaps up to us to make a decision wheather to use or not, in most cases trying out various new tackle items is just down to trial and error till we can all find what each individual actually likes,

All people have there own personal preferences regarding tackle items and I know that I certainly do but I suppose what suits one person may not necessarily suit the next,

End of the day it's all horses for courses :D

Last edited: