Swap-lok Depth Finder

chrissh

Reaction score
My wife found it when looking for books in the local charity shop today. I have never seen them before, I tried to find info on google only pictures of them Anyone know if they work or any good or should I give it back to a charity shop to resell

rsz_3p2140001.jpg

View image in gallery

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Looks like a Polaris type float to me. Try sticking a plummet on your hook and it should lock up at the base of the float when the plummet hits the deck...

rich66

Reaction score
Nice I was thinking about one of these the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I agree with Simon...The bottom ring at 90 degrees to the float suggests it will 'lok' on the retrieve. Not too sure how effective it would be and never seen one before...

Trial and error I suppose, but if it works okay I might just make one. Perhaps you'll let us know, in time?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It looks as though the selling point is that, once it's found the depth and you've attached your float and set it accordingly, you can remove the Swop-lok without breaking the line.
Neat!

chrissh

Reaction score
I agree with Simon...The bottom ring at 90 degrees to the float suggests it will 'lok' on the retrieve. Not too sure how effective it would be and never seen one before...

Trial and error I suppose, but if it works okay I might just make one. Perhaps you'll let us know, in time?

Tried the swap lok out today worked well did find that I needed a heavy plummet 3/4oz for it to work once I found this out it work every time, tried it 5 or 6 time at different depths … only take one cast to set the float depth... I did plum the depth with just a plummet to double check the depth finder was spot on every time

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I've been trying to find one of these for ages.

Does anyone know where they can be bought?

T'internet not giving any clues....

chrissh

Reaction score
I've been trying to find one of these for ages.

Does anyone know where they can be bought?

T'internet not giving any clues....

Got this address on the back of the card that was with the swop-lok depth finder
Swop-lok Angling Products
Grimsby Lincs DN32 9ST
Tel: 01472 345564

barbelboi

Reaction score
It's a proper depth finder that will lock the 'float' at the correct depth in one cast (using a plummet in the normal way). You then remove this 'float' and use your proper fishing float (that sould be attached as well) at the previously locked depth. My son and I were given one each to assess by the makers many years ago and I still have mine somewhere as I saw it the other day whilst having a tidy up in the garage. They are quick and accurate but I really never took a fancy to them (as most others by all accounts) or they would have caught on...........