Storm Doris

mikench

Reaction score
Hearty congratulations to anyone able and willing to fish today!:w

I decided to pretend I was going to go fishing. I did not bother loading up the car but set out to a local fishery about 5 minutes away. At 7.00 am it didn't seem that windy at home although the trees were blowing and I could hear the wind whistling against windows. On arrival it was obvious that a real gale was building up. You know it is windy when you cannot easily open the car door!:(

Having just returned from my heroic trip I can really see and feel the strength of the wind. All the garden chairs have been blown over and the wind bells are sounding because they are swinging in the wind at an an angle of 45 degrees.

I sincerely hope everyone stays safe and indoors!

B

binka

I seriously enjoy fishing in stormy weather, usually in a spot where it's nice and sheltered during winter though.

I nipped out earlier to post a parcel and thought how much I would like to have been on the end of this one on a large, nearby gravel pit but too much work to do I'm afraid :rolleyes:

mikench

Reaction score
There's stormy Steve and this storm! Admittedly the venue I inspected is in open countryside with no cover at all, but nobody could sensibly fish there today.

I was actually looking at storm poles yesterday; must be mad!:)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Hearty congratulations to anyone able and willing to fish today!:w

I decided to pretend I was going to go fishing. I did not bother loading up the car but set out to a local fishery about 5 minutes away. At 7.00 am it didn't seem that windy at home although the trees were blowing and I could hear the wind whistling against windows. On arrival it was obvious that a real gale was building up. You know it is windy when you cannot easily open the car door!:(

Having just returned from my heroic trip I can really see and feel the strength of the wind. All the garden chairs have been blown over and the wind bells are sounding because they are swinging in the wind at an an angle of 45 degrees.

I sincerely hope everyone stays safe and indoors!

Mmm.....I'm glad that you done the sensible thing and called it a day before it got out of hand, I can see a few items of broken tacke today through stupidity in trying to battle it out :eek:mg:

I often think to meself why honestly bother, ok I know it's good fishing into a wind on a big pit etc but surely there's a limit.

Certainly wouldn't get me going fishing today, I respect me gear to much :rolleyes:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I too was going to head out today (work is quiet), hoping that the weather forecast was over-exaggerated.

Clearly it wasn't so rather than treat the fish to the sight of me doing my 'stampy stampy' dance on the bank (a new dance routine that I invented when trying to thread 3lb mono onto a 13ft float rod in a 25mph wind and then cast out only to catch a tree 40 ft to my left and 25ft behind me!)

I'll light the fire in the workshop and sharpen some tools instead.

Keith M

Reaction score
The last time I fished in a strong gale like this three large trees got blown over into the estate lake so I would definately stay away from the banks today even if I could find a sheltered part to fish.

As it is I am still recovering from having my knee replacement so I couldn't go anyway LOL

Keith

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm sorry but I just cannot take anything called "Doris" seriously......probably because I remember Sid & Doris Bonkers from Private Eye . Could they not think of anything just slightly more menacing ?

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I just cannot take anything called "Doris" seriously......probably because I remember Sid & Doris Bonkers from Private Eye . Could they not think of anything just slightly more menacing ?

The next babe in the mist is Ewan and then the last storm is named 'Wilbert' and I cannot take that seriously;)

mikench

Reaction score

It's Doris Day:rolleyes: I hope we never get to W!

bracket

Reaction score

Down here in Dorset it's not too bad. Dry and sunny, gusts up to 40mph but a general wind speed of around 25mph. Listening to Radio Solent this morning the weather man described the next 24 hours as being "Doris Day". I am sure she would be flattered. I have fished in worse, I recall a Newark Advertiser match on the Trent, with three foot high rollers on the river. It was like the North Sea. Trees were being blown down and the Sky was full of all manner of items. When the Stewart called time at the end of the match there was only myself and a guy from Sheffield left, in the 40 peg section we had drawn in, to weigh in, so back at the HQ we shared the section pools money. Quite strange really, we both shook hands and went our different way. The following week was the All England on the River Welland. I didn't make the team that year but was first reserve, which meant I was bank walking. Come lunchtime I went into The Golden Ball on the Four Mile Bar for a beer and there at the bar sat my new found friend from the week before. We had a few beers and a craic, but our paths never crossed again. Pete.

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Blowing quite strong here in Leicester, definitely not a day for a fishing trip. A few trees down etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
Still blowing hard for a Doris here, thankfully no rain and she's supposed to calm down in a couple of hours........... Let's hope there's not a storm Nicola.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
here in the land of eternal wind n rain, last night was the height of the wind power, 65mph average in places and gusts to 85/90mph, 57/8,000 houses without electricity , mostly the worst of it from galway up and across, in my area , nothing more than bins blown over and a little tree debris on the roads, bit of sideways hail n rain , nothing out of the norm lol,... but being in a deep hollow, mostly these storms blow over rather than into us depending on direction

Last edited:

ian g

Reaction score
managed half an hour at lunchtime dropshotting for perch , caught one small one before sanity kicked in.:D

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Yes i poped into the club pool this morning Ha!,

It is surrounded by tall trees some of which are not in the best of conditions so wlaked down the path looked at the trees then the water then woke up and went and did some work .

PG ...

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I too was going to head out today (work is quiet), hoping that the weather forecast was over-exaggerated.

Clearly it wasn't so rather than treat the fish to the sight of me doing my 'stampy stampy' dance on the bank (a new dance routine that I invented when trying to thread 3lb mono onto a 13ft float rod in a 25mph wind and then cast out only to catch a tree 40 ft to my left and 25ft behind me!)

I'll light the fire in the workshop and sharpen some tools instead.

Funny PMSL......:D

---------- Post added at 20:19 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

Doris...lols, all I keep thinking of is the Arnold Schwarzenegger film True lies where Doris is the Code for another undercover operation :D

Doris....PMSL :D