Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storm Doris

Default Storm Doris

Hearty congratulations to anyone able and willing to fish today!

I decided to pretend I was going to go fishing. I did not bother loading up the car but set out to a local fishery about 5 minutes away. At 7.00 am it didn't seem that windy at home although the trees were blowing and I could hear the wind whistling against windows. On arrival it was obvious that a real gale was building up. You know it is windy when you cannot easily open the car door!

Having just returned from my heroic trip I can really see and feel the strength of the wind. All the garden chairs have been blown over and the wind bells are sounding because they are swinging in the wind at an an angle of 45 degrees.

I sincerely hope everyone stays safe and indoors!

binka Guest

Default Re: Storm Doris

I seriously enjoy fishing in stormy weather, usually in a spot where it's nice and sheltered during winter though.

I nipped out earlier to post a parcel and thought how much I would like to have been on the end of this one on a large, nearby gravel pit but too much work to do I'm afraid

There's stormy Steve and this storm! Admittedly the venue I inspected is in open countryside with no cover at all, but nobody could sensibly fish there today.

I was actually looking at storm poles yesterday; must be mad!

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Hearty congratulations to anyone able and willing to fish today!

I decided to pretend I was going to go fishing. I did not bother loading up the car but set out to a local fishery about 5 minutes away. At 7.00 am it didn't seem that windy at home although the trees were blowing and I could hear the wind whistling against windows. On arrival it was obvious that a real gale was building up. You know it is windy when you cannot easily open the car door!

Having just returned from my heroic trip I can really see and feel the strength of the wind. All the garden chairs have been blown over and the wind bells are sounding because they are swinging in the wind at an an angle of 45 degrees.

I sincerely hope everyone stays safe and indoors!
    Mmm.....I'm glad that you done the sensible thing and called it a day before it got out of hand, I can see a few items of broken tacke today through stupidity in trying to battle it out

I often think to meself why honestly bother, ok I know it's good fishing into a wind on a big pit etc but surely there's a limit.

Certainly wouldn't get me going fishing today, I respect me gear to much

I too was going to head out today (work is quiet), hoping that the weather forecast was over-exaggerated.

Clearly it wasn't so rather than treat the fish to the sight of me doing my 'stampy stampy' dance on the bank (a new dance routine that I invented when trying to thread 3lb mono onto a 13ft float rod in a 25mph wind and then cast out only to catch a tree 40 ft to my left and 25ft behind me!)

I'll light the fire in the workshop and sharpen some tools instead.

Blog Entries

The last time I fished in a strong gale like this three large trees got blown over into the estate lake so I would definately stay away from the banks today even if I could find a sheltered part to fish.

As it is I am still recovering from having my knee replacement so I couldn't go anyway LOL

Keith
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I'm sorry but I just cannot take anything called "Doris" seriously......probably because I remember Sid & Doris Bonkers from Private Eye . Could they not think of anything just slightly more menacing ?

Last edited by S-Kippy; 23-02-2017 at 11:23.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    I'm sorry but I just cannot take anything called "Doris" seriously......probably because I remember Sid & Doris Bonkers from Private Eye . Could they not think of anything just slightly more menacing ?

The next babe in the mist is Ewan and then the last storm is named 'Wilbert' and I cannot take that seriously

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Storm "Trooper" would be good. I bet its something like Tina though.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post

It's Doris Day I hope we never get to W!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast