Silver feeder fishing ???

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I think the General lack of people that regularly use Polaris type floats would suggest that they're more hassle than they're worth. They've been around for years but never really took off.
The ideal method would be a standard slider set up however if done incorrectly it can be a nightmare for tangles.
Personally I would just use a normal feeder but keep the size small and clip up so you can be as accurate as possible. It seems to be all the rage these days to fish for roach with a block end feeder set up helicopter style with a short hooklength however it is not something I've tried.

Yep quite agree Rob the rage for big pit Stillwater roach anglers is to fish basically scaled down carp tactics,
As you say blocked feeder helicopter style with short hook lengths, no doubt to act as a bolt rig :eek:
On two rod set ups with buzzers and swingers etc.

Na definitely not for me, to me that ain't proper roach fishing, more like pig pit tench fishing :rolleyes:

I maybe a little old school in me tactics but for me is correctly balanced tackle IE light line, light ledgering or small basic no nonsense feeder rig fished on a light glass quiver, the use of a small monkey climber with the quiver tip / feeder rod I'd perhaps use if in windy conditions.
Then of course there's yer float fishing side of roach fishing wheather on the stick, waggler or pole.

The next thing will be roach anglers with bivvey's and bed chairs :wh

But no doubt I've spoken to soon :eek:mg:

One of the very reasons why I pulled out of the carp scene many years ago because it just got rediculas :rolleyes:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Think I'm just going go on the feeder with a small feeder and recast every 25 minuites fill with chop worm , casters and hemp . If no bites after 4 casts would you swap over to a lead or would you search elsewhere ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Think I'm just going go on the feeder with a small feeder and recast every 25 minuites fill with chop worm , casters and hemp . If no bites after 4 casts would you swap over to a lead or would you search elsewhere ?

Always a tricky one really as you can only really tell by the fishes response to the feed, I'd certainly give it 2-3 hrs on the feeder and if no joy then perhaps just use a very basic small free running ledger or what I'd use AAA or swan shot ledger fishing light as poss an just basically fan cast the whole swim at different distances with no feed,
This can sometimes pick up the odd fish or two if things are a little hard,

Now where coming into spring it should hopefully start to slowly pick up :thumbs:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks il have a go at that , have done ledgering like that I'm margins for carp before on slack lines and works well as long you not near any snags !

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i did get a few roach off the bottom but mainly was skimmers and small bream , i changed to a waggler and fished 3 ft deep loose fed maggots over top and had loads of small roach in the end but also had an avon rod on a alarm and winkled out 4 carp one was a small 8lb ish ghost and other was smaller mirrors