Silver feeder fishing ???

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm off fishing going to target roach and silvers or what else comes along going to go with maggot , caster , hemp and worm . The water is deep out from margins so waggler on bottom sounds a bit tricky and I think a Polaris float is too heavy to show small bites . Don't have a pole either .

This is why I'm thinking tiny feeder , would this work ? After a few feeders and no bites would go to a lead in same spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You can use a small feeder with a polaris float. You could use a slider set up, a float is bound to be more sensitive for smaller fish.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have got smallest one they do but still a fat tip to float , thought to ledger with a few swan shot instead of a lead .

sam vimes

Reaction score
Polaris floats are far more sensitive than their physical dimensions might suggest. Due to the way they work, it's not as simple as equating them to a similarly huge waggler.
Bites on Polaris floats can be more obvious that they would be on other methods. However, they are not without their downsides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKyUeCuPDd4

robtherake

Reaction score
Bites on a Polaris float can be extremely positive, but if you're worried about tip thickness they did a canal series in smaller sizes, with a correspondingly smaller recommended minimum weight and fine tip, designed for use in shallower water, as you'd expect. I have the smallest of these, with recommended min. weight of a quarter ounce.

Unfortunately, the Polaris canal floats are now unavailable, but there are similar floats in the Premier Locslide range.

https://www.premierfishingfloats.co...ocslide-dibber-and-canal-floats/locside-canal

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thanks guys , whats the downside of a sliding float ?

but getting back to ledgering i surpose i could temp a carp or bream with casters chopped worm and hemp in a feeder this time of year with a worm and caster on a 16 hook ?

didnt have much luck last few times i been with lead and pellet banded .

Do with ordering a few lock slide floats i think but may have a go with polaris mid water for silvers

has anyone ledgered for roach in genral?

sam vimes

Reaction score
i think but may have a go with polaris mid water for silvers

I think you might want to look again at how a Polaris float works. Without locking shot or a stop knot it would be impossible. If you are wanting to fish mid-water, you'd be better served using a normal waggler.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
sorry sam im wanting to fish on the deck , what are the disadvantages to those type of floats and would a normal waggler rod be fine to use ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
The limit of how deep you can fish with a normal waggler is dictated by the length of the rod you are using. It's a bit difficult to fish at depths approaching the full length of the rod. That can be overcome by using a standard slider float with a stop knot, or with a Polaris/Locslide.

The disadvantages of the Polaris/Locslide is that you can only fish them hard on the bottom (if using them as intended) and that they are quite strange/finicky to use. Some struggle to use them as intended. Others hate them even when they do use them properly.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i understand you use with a running lead for sensitivity and used a swivel or bead connector before hooklink .

correct ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
most simple way but i think a running rig would be more sensitibe than a fixed or semi fixed

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
thanks guys , whats the downside of a sliding float ?

but getting back to ledgering i surpose i could temp a carp or bream with casters chopped worm and hemp in a feeder this time of year with a worm and caster on a 16 hook ?

didnt have much luck last few times i been with lead and pellet banded .

Do with ordering a few lock slide floats i think but may have a go with polaris mid water for silvers

has anyone ledgered for roach in genral?

Yep light ledger most of the time for me roach fishing mainly on small rivers but also fish same style and tactics on lakes, ponds and canals :D

Depends on what yer wanna know mate :)

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

i understand you use with a running lead for sensitivity and used a swivel or bead connector before hooklink .

correct ?

Yep that's about right, what you'll also wanna know is that if yer using the Polaris or lock slide float on a free running lead rig....once you've cast out put yer rod tip under the surface and give a quick flick of the tip, this will then sink yer mainline beneath the surface,
place the rod on stable rod rests and now very slowly start to wind the reel handle and by doing this you'll actually see the tip of the float start to slowly pull itself down, the more you turn the reel handle the more the float will pull down, do this until there's just a bit of the top of the float showing about 1/2 inch is ok,
If yer fishing the margins of a deep pit and the water is quite choppy from the wind then leave maybe upto about 1 inch of the float showing :thumbs:

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yep light ledger most of the time for me roach fishing mainly on small rivers but also fish same style and tactics on lakes, ponds and canals :D

Depends on what yer wanna know mate :)

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Yep that's about right, what you'll also wanna know is that if yer using the Polaris or lock slide float on a free running lead rig....once you've cast out put yer rod tip under the surface and give a quick flick of the tip, this will then sink yer mainline beneath the surface,
place the rod on stable rod rests and now very slowly start to wind the reel handle and by doing this you'll actually see the tip of the float start to slowly pull itself down, the more you turn the reel handle the more the float will pull down, do this until there's just a bit of the top of the float showing about 1/2 inch is ok,
If yer fishing the margins of a deep pit and the water is quite choppy from the wind then leave maybe upto about 1 inch of the float showing :thumbs:

Stuart ... if i got your name right ??

i have caught roach before on stilwater while feeder fishing with a small cage feeder the diameter is less than a small coke bottle cap and around 1 inch long but was on my avon rod with a light bobbin . Found good indication if you dont have a quiver tip or a float rod with you .

i find the roach on my comercial really do attack your bait though !

going to pick up some hemp , casters and maggots but also taking some 8mm pellets if i decide to try bomb and pellet for carp

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Stuart ... if i got your name right ??

i have caught roach before on stilwater while feeder fishing with a small cage feeder the diameter is less than a small coke bottle cap and around 1 inch long but was on my avon rod with a light bobbin . Found good indication if you dont have a quiver tip or a float rod with you .

i find the roach on my comercial really do attack your bait though !

going to pick up some hemp , casters and maggots but also taking some 8mm pellets if i decide to try bomb and pellet for carp

Yer set up sounds fine, I do use bobbins / monkey climbers when fishing at range for still water roach, however don't ever discount the use of a quiver tip, used correctly these are also ultimately affective when light ledgering or feeder fishing for roach on Stillwaters and rivers,

All of me light ledgering for big roach on small rivers when I'm roving is all on very light glass quiver tips :D

I do stress the use of glass tips though as I find that most modern carbon tips are to stiff and rigid and are not sensitive enough for my liking

associatedmatt

Reaction score
My tips are glass , lightest I got is 1oz .

I'm thinking I'm going to give the Polaris float a go with maggots and casters .

My thinking is lead or feeder on bed against the quick change bead would you guys use a long hooklink 12" or shorter one of 6" as seems a fair bit laying on bottom for roach

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
My tips are glass , lightest I got is 1oz .

I'm thinking I'm going to give the Polaris float a go with maggots and casters .

My thinking is lead or feeder on bed against the quick change bead would you guys use a long hooklink 12" or shorter one of 6" as seems a fair bit laying on bottom for roach

I'm sure I've mentioned somewhere before about roach rigs but basically 1 ft is fine, most of the time me hook lengths are around 18" ( inches )
Generally with roach you'd normally want em longer to give em time to take the bait properly, short hook lengths they often feel the resistance.

When a roach normally feeds it generally picks up a bait and would move side ways away from other fish within the shoul to intercept the bait, if the hook length is of a reasonable length it can give it time to take the bait properly,
As just mentioned that if it's to short the fish picks up a bait moves slightly with it feels resistance and immediately drops because it hasn't taken it properly,

This is why a lot of missed strikes often occur and also applies exactly the same for chub :rolleyes:
This is why a lot of the time when I'm roving on the rivers for big roach and chub I'll often touch ledger :D

Touch ledgering is an art form within its self, I'm lucky here though as I've been taught by probably the best touch ledger angler in the country " Bob Buteox " president of the chub study group ;)

Maybe ill explain about touch ledgering in another thread sometime

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Ah I see , I use 12" hooklinks on rivers but only tend to use 6 - 9 on still waters when been after carp on local silty lakes ,im just used to carp rigs more ....need to get out of the habit !

Got some drennan hooklinks with 18 and 20 hook size , my eyes can't tie that small !

robcourt82

Reaction score
I think the General lack of people that regularly use Polaris type floats would suggest that they're more hassle than they're worth. They've been around for years but never really took off.
The ideal method would be a standard slider set up however if done incorrectly it can be a nightmare for tangles.
Personally I would just use a normal feeder but keep the size small and clip up so you can be as accurate as possible. It seems to be all the rage these days to fish for roach with a block end feeder set up helicopter style with a short hooklength however it is not something I've tried.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Lake is not that big across but it's deep , could try a slider set up bulk around 3ft from hook and stop knot. But why use bulk if float free running ?