Quiver tips weight?

joshua

Reaction score
Hey,
I have been given a Daiwa Carp feeder 11ft, except, it's missing the quiver section. Now, I believe that these will fit the rod Daiwa Quiver Tips | Angling Direct.

The question is, what weight do I get?

I have a couple of maggot and open ended feeders, the heaviest being 30g. I will also be fishing for anything from to tench to roach. I understand I could buy different weight quivers but being a Yorkshireman, I'm a tight git.

Thanks, Josh.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think drennan quiver tips are interchangeable with Daiwa. You'll need more than one tip, i'd say a minimum of three is different tests. You'll need to consider whether you want carbon or glass also.

joshua

Reaction score
Aye, I guess I could buy them as I need them. At least that way it would save forking out £30+ all at once. 1, 1.5, and 2 should do right.

Now if I'm correct, glass is a faster/softer action than carbon. So preferably, glass. The question is Drennan or Daiwa?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Aye, I guess I could buy them as I need them. At least that way it would save forking out £30+ all at once. 1, 1.5, and 2 should do right.

Now if I'm correct, glass is a faster/softer action than carbon. So preferably, glass. The question is Drennan or Daiwa?

Glass is softer and many anglers believe it to be more suited to still waters. Carbon is stiffer and will give better drop back indications and many anglers believe it to be the best option for rivers for this reason.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I've got the daiwa yank n blank, funnily enough it was only Monday just gone I called into angling direct and also enquirered about the quiver tips,

The Daiwa quiver tips apparently fit a variety of uk made rods and are priced at around £11.00 each

Me local shop here in Crayford, Kent didn't have no Daiwa tips and said that the majority of their tips are at the warehouse HQ in Norwich.

Incidentally the Drennan tips as far as I'm aware of do not fit the Daiwa rods,

These Drennan tips which the shop did have in stock are like for the acolyte rods etc.

If yer fishing for roach then you'd want 1/2 - 1 oz tips and preferably glass, you mention feeder fishing for tench and in this case I'd probably opt for tips of 1.5 - 2 oz and these you'd probably be better with carbon ( for casting larger ground bait feeders )

Be lucky

Last edited:

joshua

Reaction score
Aye, I've been looking at the Drennan ones myself but can only really find Acolyte tips. The tips on Angling direct seem to run out really quick, although, I have seen them here Daiwa Quiver Tips | eBay. They are £2 cheaper then AD , plus free postage. So hopefully they're still in stock Tuesday.

Last edited:

robcourt82

Reaction score
It can all get rather confusing when you consider the different test curves and the material and then the action but to be honest if you're doing a bit of everything on an average Stillwater then a simple glass 1.5 oz tip would be my go to tip.
It's a happy medium that will do pretty much everything..

sam vimes

Reaction score
Be wary of buying tips that are ill-suited to the rod. A "carp feeder" rod may have been supplied and designed with tips of a certain test. Putting tips of much lower, or higher, test might upset the action considerably. In your shoes, I'd be investigating the tips that Daiwa would have originally supplied with it. I'd not deviate by more than 0.5oz from the originally supplied ratings. A proposed .5oz tip fitted to a rod better suited to tips of 2-3oz could give pretty ropey results.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Can I also add a word of caution - which might be music to your ears (or even wallet)?

I have a similar length tip rod, it's a drennan feeder rod. It was supplied with three tips. Two of which have literally never seen the light of day.

This is because the 2oz glass tip that I tried first just works so well with the rest of the rod. I use it mostly as a chub rod on the river, however it's also been pressed in to service as a Stillwater feeder rod, both with small method feeders and open feeders.

I'm mostly using feeders or bombs of around 1 oz, that said it's been down as low as 0.25oz and up as far as 2oz, and it's handled it all to the extent where the very idea of breaking it down to insert another tip (even though they've always been there in a little pocket in its ready-sleeve) hasn't ever crossed my mind.

So, dependent on what postage costs are like, I might be inclined to try just the one and see how it goes, as from the looks of things they can be quite expensive - and shelling that out for two "bench warmers" might not make so much sense?

joshua

Reaction score
Seriously, thanks for the advice everyone, also the offers. Seriously, its truly appreciated. Her indoors offered to treat me last night so I'll probably get a couple of different weights as well as a new holdall. ;)
If this offer had not come up then, well, I would of took up yours.
As for not differentiating from the set weight, I'll probably get 1, 1.5, and 2 ounce as I believe it was a 1.5 tip provided with the rod.

steve2

Reaction score
I have multi tip rods and in most case I have never used them. I find the one that most suitable for the rod and use that all the time. If you are fishing commercial ponds you will find you only need one tip.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I can fully understand in where many are coming from as regards to not shelling out money for quiver tips unnecessarily,

But what I will say is that providing one specifically knows what size of tips to use with yer rods it certainly doesn't do any harm in having a few spare tips,

The finer the tips the more there likely to break and I've certainly broke a few in my time, line accidentally caught around the tip when casting feeders, striking into over hanging tree branches, walking rods straight into bushes when I've been roving along the bank, no denying that many of us have all done it at times
Especially if one uses quiver tip and feeder rods an awful lot as like I do :rolleyes:

I've got an old eighties Drennan quiver tip rod and when the model became discontinued I managed to buy 12 spare quiver tips very cheap :D
Since then I've accidentally broken 4 tips all broke when I've been roving between swims along the river mainly at night :( regrettably it does happen

But is ok as I've still got another 8 tips :D

This is why I always consider it to usefull to have spare tips

Last edited:

joshua

Reaction score
Well seen as I have a tendency to break even the toughest of things, a few spares sounds preferable.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Incidentally the Drennan tips as far as I'm aware of do not fit the Daiwa rods

Stuart, Daiwa and drennan quiver tips deffo used to be interchangeable ;). I've no idea if the latest ones are though.

joshua

Reaction score
I know the description on some of the Daiwa/Drennan tips state "made to fit all UK made rods". How true that is, who knows?

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Stuart, Daiwa and drennan quiver tips deffo used to be interchangeable ;). I've no idea if the latest ones are though.

You may well be right Ian perhaps with some of em,

With the cheaper end of the Daiwa rods all of the normal Daiwa tips will fit all rods and supposedly other uk manufactured rods,

The higher end of Daiwa tournament rods etc use different longer quiver tips and cleverly price them at over £40 :eek:

The Drennan tips that angling direct are currently doing I'm sure are for the top end rods like the acolyte etc and I believe these are probably around the £40 mark aswell.

The normal £11.00 Daiwa tips that fit most of the other lower end Daiwa rods may possibly fit other Drennan models aswell,
To be honest I'm not really 100 % sure but could be worth looking into to see if they do,

I know one thing Ian I'd certainly be interested to know :thumbs:

Last edited:

joshua

Reaction score
I have seen some "universal tips" on eBay, apparently they come bigger than most rods and one has to sand them down with a bit of wet and dry. Now how good they are I don't know, but that could be worth looking into as some cheapish backups.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Here they are: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Universal-Push-Quiver-Tip/dp/B006W7TXYO