Fishing journal layout

joshua

Reaction score
Hey,

First off, apologies for all the questions. Got to do something to keep occupied off the bank. :)

Basically, I'm looking to start keeping a journal/record of my fishing. I'm struggling on the layout of these records, so far, this is what I have:

Date,
Location,
Weather,
Rig/s,
Bait,
Target species,
Species caught,

Is there anything I may be missing?

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Hey,

First off, apologies for all the questions. Got to do something to keep occupied off the bank. :)

Basically, I'm looking to start keeping a journal/record of my fishing. I'm struggling on the layout of these records, so far, this is what I have:

Date,
Location,
Weather,
Rig/s,
Bait,
Target species,
Species caught,

I'd be inclined to add :

Day,
Night,
River Ie small / big,
Stillwater Ie small / big,
Size ( of particular species )

You could also add tide times if need be .....NB state of tides is not essential though if yer not fishing tidal waters

Last edited:

joshua

Reaction score
See I would never have thought about them, especially not the venue size. I like the addition of day or night as well, might give motivate me to get out and do a night Barbel session; never done one before.
Cheers cock.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
See I would never have thought about them, especially not the venue size. I like the addition of day or night as well, might give motivate me to get out and do a night Barbel session; never done one before.
Cheers cock.

Can I just please offer a bit of advice,

Not sure if you've done much in the way of night fishing but if yer gonna do a few barbel sessions at night and never done it before I'd strongly advise in getting to know the particular sections of river as best as you can, get to know bank side features and the steepness of various banks because these can all appear to look completely different in darkness,

Use a head lamp by all means but actually try to only use it when necessary IE just baiting up and unhooking and returning fish etc, you'd probably be surprised at how much you can see at night on the bank without the use of constant light as yer eyes will quickly addapt and focus :thumbs:

Once you've learnt all of the bank side features during the day it makes it a lot easier for at night.

Be lucky and above all else stay safe

keora

Reaction score
Here's a fishing log book designed by one of the Regions of the EA for using on waters in the North East. It's to encourage anglers to supply the EA with information on trout and grayling catches.

http://www.graylingresearch.org/images/stories/imagesfiles/EA_log_book.pdf

I've kept a log for many years, the details I record are.

Date
Time started fishing
Hours fished
Venue
Water temperature - optional
Water level if fishing a river
Species of fish caught including number of fish and the weight (or length) of bigger ones
Baits/lures/flies used
Swims where the fish were caught.

I never record details of length of rod, breaking strain, type of float, etc because it would take too long to fill in the log.

theartist

Reaction score
Hey,

Date,
Location,
Weather,
Rig/s,
Bait,
Target species,
Species caught,

I've kept records for many years now and there is a danger of it all becoming a blur of facts and figures after a while, which may be what you want but I found by adding a little write up and the odd photo it becomes more of a diary and is easier to look back on.

fishing4luckies

Reaction score

Not sure if you've done much in the way of night fishing but if yer gonna do a few barbel sessions at night and never done it before I'd strongly advise in getting to know the particular sections of river as best as you can, get to know bank side features and the steepness of various banks because these can all appear to look completely different in darkness,

Use a head lamp by all means but actually try to only use it when necessary IE just baiting up and unhooking and returning fish etc, you'd probably be surprised at how much you can see at night on the bank without the use of constant light as yer eyes will quickly addapt and focus

Once you've learnt all of the bank side features during the day it makes it a lot easier for at night.

I'd suggest a screw in dog spike and length of rope tied around your waist.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score

Yea mate I did initially think of that over 30 years ago but nowadays I don't bother with that idea because I'm simply on the move all the time roving wheather it's day or night,

Once one gets to know a water really well it's nowhere near as bad or daunting at night as you should know the swims pretty well :)

robcourt82

Reaction score
Instead of listing the details which may become boring over time why not write it all down in a dear diary style, like a blog or something? In years to come it will be far more interesting for whoever stumbles across it or for yourself of course to look back on.

---------- Post added at 03:36 ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 ----------

Which is pretty much what the artist said.

Incidentally I bought one of the artist's calendars earlier this year and splendid it is too!

joshua

Reaction score

Not sure if you've done much in the way of night fishing but if yer gonna do a few barbel sessions at night and never done it before I'd strongly advise in getting to know the particular sections of river as best as best as you can.
Oh, I definitely wont be going once I've got to know the swims. Wouldn't dream of going in blind. Cracking advice though. Bought a headlamp as well which includes a red light mode.

That link looks promising, will probably base it off that. Thanks man.

Don't want to give the missus any ideas lol.:wh

Instead of listing the details which may become boring over time why not write it all down in a dear diary style.
Dear diary does sound entertaining, perhaps, it may be entertaining for my son in a few years. Something to pass on and treasure when the inevitable fishing bug gets him.:D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I've kept records for many years now and there is a danger of it all becoming a blur of facts and figures after a while, which may be what you want but I found by adding a little write up and the odd photo it becomes more of a diary and is easier to look back on.
Just a thought Artist and Joshua-all those facts and figures if entered onto a excel worksheet can become very interesting. There are many sort facilities on them so you can for examples-sort into one temperature range and see if you caught more tench (or any species) in that range than others. Or sort into one venue and see which range of fish you caught and/or which weather/wind/ was best for a particular species at that venue.
The list is basically endless what you can do, worth thinking about if your going to keep a journal for a long period, after a few years you can glean some very interesting trends and ideas by doing it this way. And you can still use a column for notes or insert a text box for a more personal touch and pictures come to that.

Last edited:

joshua

Reaction score
Oh it could turn out to be a very entertaining process, I can already tell I'm going to have fun being creative. If I do fill out a paper journal, I would love to scan them on a PC and upload them to this forum in a years time. Actually, that sounds like a promising thread, "show us your journal".

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to keep a fishing log which contained swim details, tackle and bait used, fish caught giving times caught (I used to fish over several days then) plus weather conditions including air and water temperatures and air pressure (I was a naval meteorologist & oceanographer at the time) It gave me something to do while I waited for the next Carp to bite. I also used it when I was trying to catch some big Tench. I also drew maps and depths and swims, which I did in the closed seasons.
The log book had some of my bait recipes at the back together with various rigs I had used.

I only did it for a few seasons though when I was a lot younger.

There's a few inexpensive fishing logs on the web that you can buy like the ones in the following link:

A5 Fishing Log Book, Fishing Diary, Fishing Journal, Anglers Log Book, C2 | eBay

Keith

Last edited:

joshua

Reaction score
I have looked at the premade logs Keith but personally I like customising things. I think I may use both paper and technology. Sort of do a rough draft in a book on the bank then perhaps type it up at home later. Mark's last comment about using Microsoft excel has really give me something to think about.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Ive kept a fishing journal since about 1978. It includes the following:

Date
Venue
Position(s)
T.O.F (times of fishing)
Method(s)
Baits Used
Weather
Catch
Catch Weight (usually estimated)
Notes (eg river conditions, what others were catching, observations checking out new areas stories heard etc)

It gets complicated where a trip is split into a few short sessions moving around to different swims - its not really designed for that approach. On stretches of river or lakes i have fished regularly i have usually done a sketch map at some stage identifying locations of swims - and the names i have given them (which can be fun) or others have if a well known water.

joshua

Reaction score
Ive kept a fishing journal since about 1978. It includes the following:

Date
Venue
Position(s)
T.O.F (times of fishing)
Method(s)
Baits Used
Weather
Catch
Catch Weight (usually estimated)
Notes (eg river conditions, what others were catching, observations checking out new areas stories heard etc)

It gets complicated where a trip is split into a few short sessions moving around to different swims - its not really designed for that approach. On stretches of river or lakes i have fished regularly i have usually done a sketch map at some stage identifying locations of swims - and the names i have given them (which can be fun) or others have if a well known water.

Naming swims would be rather entertaining, one swim on my local river would be names "forced swim". Never fail to fall in there.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that rather as the Artist recommends, i have also embellished my "fishing reports" with photos of venues and of notable captures. Over the years it is the pictures of the swims and of the people i fished with that become the most interesting to look back on, other than those huge fish hauls of course.

Putting info into a spreadsheet: i have tried this too. Date, Venue, Catch Weight and hrs fished was about as detailed as i got. But this instantly enables you to sort by venue, catch rate etc and to discover just how many times you fished a water, when you last went etc. Sorting by catch weight can also be entertaining. Just how many times did I blank at that bloody lake before i moved on elsewhere?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have looked at the premade logs Keith but personally I like customising things. I think I may use both paper and technology. Sort of do a rough draft in a book on the bank then perhaps type it up at home later. Mark's last comment about using Microsoft excel has really give me something to think about.

Just to give you an idea Joshua, my headings are day, month, year (do them in separate columns!), wind dir, wind speed, weather(which I convert into a number, 1 for sunny, 2 for overcast etc), air temp, water temp, pressure, water colour, moon phase (1,2,3 and 4!), notes, bait, venue, species caught in separate columns, carp, tench etc., size roughly.
Once you have built up a few records you can produce graphs on excel as well. Say a tench graph for venue X per month/temperatures, weather etc or carp different boilies, roach and air pressure ranges or whatever you want really, no end of permutations you can play with..
You don't have to do the same as me, just to give you some ideas, as you say tailor it to what you want. the thing is get it right because 5 years down the line you don't want to be thinking wish I had included/done that. I remember I thought after a couple of years of doing it I should have included moon phase, would be interesting just to see if it means anything, fortunately in this instance I found a table online and just used my dates to go back and enter them in a column. However, I wish I had been a bit more specific in the baits I used and I couldn't do that with memory.
And I think your right, keep a more personal dairy type and an excel information data one separately, I wish I had done that come to think of it. But the excel option does become interesting once you have built it up, so much you can do with data on excel. Written in a diary it can be just a blur as Artist said but excel can specifically define any data any way you want.
It takes a bit of getting used to but its a lifelong project and gives you plenty to do on a cold wet afternoon in winter and anything that makes life/fishing more interesting is worth having a go at-good luck..

PS-just another tip, when I started I thought I do not want to just enter 5 roach when they could be 5 1lb+ roach or 5 4oz roach. Then I thought I don't want to be weighing all the fish, I would have to shoot myself. So, I used a simple scoring system, in my notes I would mention 2 very good roach, 1 average roach and 2 small roach. but, in my roach column I would score 15 for each of the very good roach, 10 for the average roach and 5 for each small roach giving a total of 60 points. This would be dependent on the average size of fish for the venue. So, you have a general score for how good the roach fishing was for that day at that venue. I do the same for all species. Not to be pedantic about it, if I caught 40 roach I would just get it roughly based on my memory on the day. You may have your own ideas, something better even but just a suggestion if you go down this route because sometime you may want a score of some sort to be able to define your days fishing and make it excel comparable for other days and different venues/conditions ect for each species, memory fades.

And if all this sounds a bit convoluted and hard, its not once you get going, takes me 5 minutes; once you get your system sorted out; no hardship at all.

Last edited: