Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Fishing journal layout

Hey,

First off, apologies for all the questions. Got to do something to keep occupied off the bank.

Basically, I'm looking to start keeping a journal/record of my fishing. I'm struggling on the layout of these records, so far, this is what I have:

Date,
    Location,
    Weather,
    Rig/s,
    Bait,
    Target species,
    Species caught,

Is there anything I may be missing?

Default Re: Fishing journal layout

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Hey,

First off, apologies for all the questions. Got to do something to keep occupied off the bank.

Basically, I'm looking to start keeping a journal/record of my fishing. I'm struggling on the layout of these records, so far, this is what I have:

Date,
    Location,
    Weather,
    Rig/s,
    Bait,
    Target species,
    Species caught,

I'd be inclined to add :

Day,
    Night,
    River Ie small / big,
    Stillwater Ie small / big,
    Size ( of particular species )

You could also add tide times if need be .....NB state of tides is not essential though if yer not fishing tidal waters
    Last edited by thames mudlarker; 24-02-2017 at 00:28.

See I would never have thought about them, especially not the venue size. I like the addition of day or night as well, might give motivate me to get out and do a night Barbel session; never done one before.
    Cheers cock.

See I would never have thought about them, especially not the venue size. I like the addition of day or night as well, might give motivate me to get out and do a night Barbel session; never done one before.
    Cheers cock.
    Can I just please offer a bit of advice,

Not sure if you've done much in the way of night fishing but if yer gonna do a few barbel sessions at night and never done it before I'd strongly advise in getting to know the particular sections of river as best as you can, get to know bank side features and the steepness of various banks because these can all appear to look completely different in darkness,

Use a head lamp by all means but actually try to only use it when necessary IE just baiting up and unhooking and returning fish etc, you'd probably be surprised at how much you can see at night on the bank without the use of constant light as yer eyes will quickly addapt and focus

Once you've learnt all of the bank side features during the day it makes it a lot easier for at night.

Be lucky and above all else stay safe

Here's a fishing log book designed by one of the Regions of the EA for using on waters in the North East. It's to encourage anglers to supply the EA with information on trout and grayling catches.

http://www.graylingresearch.org/imag...A_log_book.pdf

I've kept a log for many years, the details I record are.

Date
    Time started fishing
    Hours fished
    Venue
    Water temperature - optional
    Water level if fishing a river
    Species of fish caught including number of fish and the weight (or length) of bigger ones
    Baits/lures/flies used
    Swims where the fish were caught.

I never record details of length of rod, breaking strain, type of float, etc because it would take too long to fill in the log.

Hey,

Date,
    Location,
    Weather,
    Rig/s,
    Bait,
    Target species,
    Species caught,

I've kept records for many years now and there is a danger of it all becoming a blur of facts and figures after a while, which may be what you want but I found by adding a little write up and the odd photo it becomes more of a diary and is easier to look back on.

Quote Originally Posted by thames mudlarker View Post
    Can I just please offer a bit of advice,

Not sure if you've done much in the way of night fishing but if yer gonna do a few barbel sessions at night and never done it before I'd strongly advise in getting to know the particular sections of river as best as you can, get to know bank side features and the steepness of various banks because these can all appear to look completely different in darkness,

Use a head lamp by all means but actually try to only use it when necessary IE just baiting up and unhooking and returning fish etc, you'd probably be surprised at how much you can see at night on the bank without the use of constant light as yer eyes will quickly addapt and focus

Once you've learnt all of the bank side features during the day it makes it a lot easier for at night.

Be lucky and above all else stay safe
    I'd suggest a screw in dog spike and length of rope tied around your waist.

Quote Originally Posted by fishing4luckies View Post
    I'd suggest a screw in dog spike and length of rope tied around your waist.
    Yea mate I did initially think of that over 30 years ago but nowadays I don't bother with that idea because I'm simply on the move all the time roving wheather it's day or night,

Once one gets to know a water really well it's nowhere near as bad or daunting at night as you should know the swims pretty well

Instead of listing the details which may become boring over time why not write it all down in a dear diary style, like a blog or something? In years to come it will be far more interesting for whoever stumbles across it or for yourself of course to look back on.

---------- Post added at 03:36 ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 ----------

Which is pretty much what the artist said.

Incidentally I bought one of the artist's calendars earlier this year and splendid it is too!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast