Looking for a rucksack/chair combo

Jim Murray

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for one of these. Not a separate chair but built in, like this:-

Wychwood Flow Pack-Lite Stool | HarrisSportsmail.com

Not looking for something too big, as it will be for roving. The one above has a carry strap, I'd be looking for rucksack straps.

There's lots of low end stuff out there, could anyone recommend a decent one?

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Have got a few ot these type of combos in me local shop aswell,

If me memory serves me right I'm sure that " Fladen " also do the rucksack chair / stool combo for under £20.00 :)

chrissh

Reaction score
I can recommend the Airflo Comfort Zone Deluxe Rucksack/chair which I use on short sessions its ideal for 3-4 hours on a summer night fishing their around £35.00 the plus side is the seat and back rest is padded and the rucksack has plenty of room for bait & tackle, flask or bottle of drink , light waterproof jacket

Airflo Comfort Zone Deluxe Rucksack/chair | eBay

theartist

Reaction score
Those chairs are great but you're in trouble if you go anywhere boggy. I use a rucksack with the same stool but have them separate, the stools can hang from most rucksack clips when on the move and detach when you want to sit.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Those chairs are great but you're in trouble if you go anywhere boggy. I use a rucksack with the same stool but have them separate, the stools can hang from most rucksack clips when on the move and detach when you want to sit.

Absolutely agree,

That's exactly what I do if I decided that I need some form of a seat,

The rucksack that I'm currently using is the Korum day sack and is a pucka bit of kit and at £25-30 is well worth the money :)

naxian62

Reaction score
Hi Jim, 1st hand experience here.
1st 1 I had was a Grandeslam with a backrest , ok but heavy, not so roomy and just a generally nasty feel to it. Although it did last 3 years before the canvas became practically transparent. 2nd 1, which I'm on now, is a Ron Thompson ( no backrest) , love it. Very comfy to carry, I've regularly cycled with 8kg in there. Spacious, fleece on the seat area, no zips to rust, waterproof base. Definetly reccommended

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I don't have one but I'm interested in seeing one of these TFGear Compact Tackle Seat Box | GO Outdoors

It may be what you're after

Brilliant bit of kit. Not really any good for roving IMO but cock on for general fishing if you don't want one of those pole anglers gizmo boxes. I cut the straps off mine because it didn't sit right and was damned uncomfortable in that configuration and I felt I could make better use of the pocket. Despite the stick about it I take on here I love mine and wouldn't swap it for anything .

trotter2

Reaction score
I would not go for the chair type of rucksack because if the river bank is sloping the back rest is never the right angle for your back.
The stool type is better IMO

Philip

Reaction score
Like someone else said I know on paper they look like a good idea but I would go with a separate seat & bag than something integrated together

trotter2

Reaction score
Like someone else said I know on paper they look like a good idea but I would go with a separate seat & bag than something integrated together

Most off these rucksack bags the seat can be clipped off I know mine does.
Clipped back on when you need to travel.
Check which ever one you go for if you think that's a problem you will need to solve..

I have never had a problem sitting on the seat with the bag attached I can only visualise there being a problem if your sitting in the water . Then a platform would be the obvious answer.
Like I said there not perfect but are a great asset if your into traveling light on the river.:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd prefer a separate rucksack and a small chair. I have several of the shakey chairs and use a aldi bag or korum rucksack. Problem with the chair and bag combination is the bag and straps get full of mud etc.

Trotter, I think i've posted about the sling bags but just incase you haven't seen them....

Orvis Safe Passage Sling Pack - Camo | Uttings.co.uk

I couldn't find anything that fitted the bill whilst walking the banks and dropping in and out of swims that was comfortable and didn't dig into my neck as the waistcoats do when full of bits. I bought one of these expecting it to be yet another waste of cash but it proved to be superb, no digging in my neck, no prob's for my back and you can access it by sliding it round your body whilst wearing it if you wish to do so. I know they arn't cheap but you do get a first time buyers discount off uttings (a great shop by the way). Imo they're well worth the cost since they do what they're supposed to which makes a refreshing change from buying stuff that isn't fit for purpose.
The first one I got came apart on a seam on the strap first time out!!...but uttings sorted it the very next day...cracking service!

Philip

Reaction score
I have never had a problem sitting on the seat with the bag attached I can only visualise there being a problem if your sitting in the water . Then a platform would be the obvious answer.
Like I said there not perfect but are a great asset if your into traveling light on the river.

There is nothing wrong as such with the integrated bags/seats and I am not trying to knock anyone who uses them. Plus as you rightly say Trotter if the bag bit clips on or off then you have the best of both worlds anyway :)

Just in my opinion having a separate bag and seat is an advantage (for me) because I can have the bag sat next to me rather than below me which makes access to it easier as I dont need to twist round or get up to get into it and also means I can position the seat in say the mud or water but the bag out of the mud.

It also gives you more options in terms of the type of chair you want. You can go for a mega lite stool or if you are prepared to add a bit more weight a proper fishing chair...backrest, adjustable legs etc etc.

Also it means I have more flexibility in how I position anything I carry. For example Sometimes I hang things off my chair like a bucket of bait or I stuff a rod rest into the chair with the bag on my back.

Basically i think it gives you more options and is a bit more flexible when the two are separated.

One other tip ...on the advice of this forum I got myself a JRC Xlite stealth chair and I have to say its really the chair I have been searching for, for a very long time. Ultra lite, comfortable, fully adjustable ...it really is great. Costs a bit but from what I have seen will last for years as well. I am as aware of carrying un-needed weight as anyone believe me having suffered from allot of back problems but that bit of kit really is good.

Of course many people do away with a chair altogether. I sometimes do myself for very short sessions.

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong as such with the integrated bags/seats and I am not trying to knock anyone who uses them. Plus as you rightly say Trotter if the bag bit clips on or off then you have the best of both worlds anyway :)

Just in my opinion having a separate bag and seat is an advantage (for me) because I can have the bag sat next to me rather than below me which makes access to it easier as I dont need to twist round or get up to get into it and also means I can position the seat in say the mud or water but the bag out of the mud.

It also gives you more options in terms of the type of chair you want. You can go for a mega lite stool or if you are prepared to add a bit more weight a proper fishing chair...backrest, adjustable legs etc etc.

Also it means I have more flexibility in how I position anything I carry. For example Sometimes I hang things off my chair like a bucket of bait or I stuff a rod rest into the chair with the bag on my back.

Basically i think it gives you more options and is a bit more flexible.

One other tip ...on the advice of this forum I got myself a JRC Xlite stealth chair and I have to say its really the chair I have been searching for, for a very long time. Ultra lite, comfortable, fully adjustable ...it really is great. Costs a bit but from what I have seen will last for years as well. I am as aware of carrying un-needed weight as anyone believe me having suffered from allot of back problems but that bit of kit really is good.

Of course many people do away with a chair altogether. I sometimes do myself for very short sessions.

Very similar to me then Philip in that respect,

As you probably know that most of me fishing is traveling light and roving,

Over the last few years I very rarely bother taking a seat with me now, the majority of the time when I'm roving I'll just simply sit on the grass river bank in various swims,

However though I will stress that I always wear a pair of dark green army water proof trousers so there's no dampness coming through :D
I'll also tuck me jacket into the trousers so when sitting on the grass it's just the trousers that will perhaps get a little wet :thumbs:

All I take with me nowadays is just me Korum day rucksack with a small rod rest clipped to the front, bait bucket, rod and landing net and that is it,

I've also got bad back and shoulder problems and get problems if me gear is to heavy, if I'm struggling to carry me stuff I'm then not enjoying me fishing which is the whole reason why I travel light,
I also don't drive and travel around the southeast by train which is another reason for traveling light.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I've also got bad back and shoulder problems and get problems if me gear is to heavy, if I'm struggling to carry me stuff I'm then not enjoying me fishing which is the whole reason why I travel light,
I also don't drive and travel around the southeast by train which is another reason for traveling light.

I find bait in particular can add weight. Some will laugh but in the past I also used granny shopping type trollys.I managed to find one with a wider than usual wheel base (else they tip over too easily) & in a suitable dark colour so I didnt look too ridiculous. Dont knock it till you tried it I say to anyone who doubts !

I also have used bikes which can double (to some extent) to a trolly and have the advantage over a barrow that you can get on and peddle it.

If I was limited to public transport I would give serious consideration to a bike. It will make the commute from the station to the venue and back allot quicker. You can always chain the bike up to a tree when you arrive and with a bit of thought you can carry an awful lot on a bike. Of course its not ideal if your using say trains like the London underground but maybe an option for overground tains and stations.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is my tackle when I have a swim in mind where i'm gonn'a be staying to trott or have a mix up of both legering and trotting....

This was my normal roving gear before I got the sling.....

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I find bait in particular can add weight. Some will laugh but in the past I also used granny shopping type trollys.I managed to find one with a wider than usual wheel base (else they tip over too easily) & in a suitable dark colour so I didnt look too ridiculous. Dont knock it till you tried it I say to anyone who doubts !

I also have used bikes which can double (to some extent) to a trolly and have the advantage over a barrow that you can get on and peddle it.

If I was limited to public transport I would give serious consideration to a bike. It will make the commute from the station to the venue and back allot quicker. You can always chain the bike up to a tree when you arrive and with a bit of thought you can carry an awful lot on a bike. Of course its not ideal if your using say trains like the London underground but maybe an option for overground tains and stations.

Yea know what you mean Philip, funnily enough me best mate who's slightly disabled lives on the Thames river front and actually uses one of those trolleys and is ideal for him,
Sadly he can't really get to be bass marks as these are very much out of the way from preying eyes :wh lols

Yea mate I do use a mountain bike aswell as this is essential for me bass fishing, the nearest farm house to any siverlisation is around 3 miles :D well out of the way :wh

I've been fishing and traveling by train now for some 36 year Phil and at times I do take me bike on the train,

However I never ever go on the underground with fishing gear, it's just not worth it for obvious reasons other than a blimmin nightmare, avoid at all costs :)

To honest I've traveled from Gravesend through London and fished the Lea, Ouse, Kennet, Avon , Loddon, st Patrick's stream , Colne plus many more and nowadays I've lost a bit of interest and ego in going up to and through London now,
Nowadays most of me fishing is within me home county of Kent and us a lot easier for me, the trains traveling away from London are always virtually empty and a damm sight easier and more comfortable to travel :thumbs:

Me bait bucket never really seems to be that heavy as most of the time it's just a bit of mashed bread and a loaf of bread for hook bait

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

This is my tackle when I have a swim in mind where i'm gonn'a be staying to trott or have a mix up of both legering and trotting....

Perfect Ian :thumbs:

Is pretty much the same in what I take, rod , landing net, small rucksack and bucket.....sorghted :D

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score

Much the same here same bag do you find the shoulder strap a little prone to slipping down off your shoulder i did and found a narrower strap that works a treat ..

PG ...