£6 too much for a one day licence

If you purchase one day licences, will you be buying one after April 1st for £6?

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I personally think what they should of done is abolish and scrap the 1 day license and just simply stick with the 1 week and yearly license,

In the long run would probably make life so much easier :rolleyes:

Job done and be done with it instead of folk winging about the price of a one day license,

Even people who are unemployed and on benefits, sickness benefits and elderly on pensions etc in reality I'm sure that even the £30 yearly license certainly is affordable and not gonna break the bank :D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I personally think what they should of done is abolish and scrap the 1 day license and just simply stick with the 1 week and yearly license,

In the long run would probably make life so much easier :rolleyes:

Job done and be done with it instead of folk winging about the price of a one day license,

Even people who are unemployed and on benefits, sickness benefits and elderly on pensions etc in reality I'm sure that even the £30 yearly license certainly is affordable and not gonna break the bank :D

Yes, maybe Mudlark however, no kidding, just this minute opened an envelope and one of my subscriptions has gone up £4.59 a month which is £55.08 a year so something has to give therefore the license can go and do one- £6 or not.

You see this is the way it works Mudlark, drip drip drip until something has to go. And as I can get a bit of no licence fishing then the EA lose out, not that I am sorry about that, a curse on all their houses.. And if they license sea fishing ever; as suggested by others; find something else to do. There are plenty of choices where I don't have to pay a poxy licence. And I am sooo happy their revenues are falling year by year from licences..

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Yes, maybe Mudlark however, no kidding, just this minute opened an envelope and one of my subscriptions has gone up £4.59 a month which is £55.08 a year so something has to give therefore the license can go and do one- £6 or not.

You see this is the way it works Mudlark, drip drip drip and till something has to go. And as I can get a bit of no licence fishing then the EA lose out, not that I am sorry about that. And if they license sea fishing ever; as suggested by others; find something else to do. There are plenty of choices where I don't have to pay a poxy licence. And I am sooo happy their revenues are falling year by year from licences.

Yea see what yer saying Mark,

I suppose one easy solution probably not far from you is go trotting on the tidal rivers for the roach, dace and bream etc and make out yer fishing for mullet :wh

Just have a few maddies with yer in a tub to make it look good and official that you are actually targeting the mullet,

And if anyone comes just hide the maggots :D simples :w

Speak soon

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yea see what yer saying Mark,

I suppose one easy solution probably not far from you is go trotting on the tidal rivers for the roach, dace and bream etc and make out yer fishing for mullet :wh

Just have a few maddies with yer in a tub to make it look good and official that you are actually targeting the mullet,

And if anyone comes just hide the maggots :D simples :w

Speak soon

Thanks for the tip, I will work out something but you see its not just me, people on low fixed incomes get hit bit by bit, its never a big amount is it, its always affordable until you start adding it all together, and they will either decide to give up fishing or not bother with it because its a low priority. Its not the amount either, its the way they slip 50% increases in under the radar, ohhh look at us, we are so kind, we have got together with the AT and come up with a great package, yeh right.
Dont worry, not in a good mood.:) I know an estuary with a bridge to hide under and its right out of the way, good thinking. bass and mullet, flounders.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score

You see this is the way it works Mudlark, drip drip drip and till something has to go. And as I can get a bit of no licence fishing then the EA lose out, not that I am sorry about that, a curse on all their houses.. And if they license sea fishing ever; as suggested by others; find something else to do. There are plenty of choices where I don't have to pay a poxy licence. And I am sooo happy their revenues are falling year by year from licences..

People who tout for sea anglers being licenced strikes me a little envious that someone fishes for free.
I used to love both boat and shore angling When I was in a better state than I am now, if I lived on the coast freshwater fishing wouldn't bother me in the least.
Trouble for me is I love fishing and with the coast being out as are rivers I'm stuck on commercials.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
People who tout for sea anglers being licenced strikes me a little envious that someone fishes for free.
I used to love both boat and shore angling When I was in a better state than I am now, if I lived on the coast freshwater fishing wouldn't bother me in the least.
Trouble for me is I love fishing and with the coast being out as are rivers I'm stuck on commercials.
I am lucky in that respect Rayner, live on the coast and last year decided to get back into a bit of sea fishing. And it offers a lot more freedom than coarse fishing and on balance its cheaper, all I need is a packet of lug or sand eels at £2.50 and jobs done.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
One good thing, the angling trust and the EA will get about an extra million quid + between them from the rise in license fees. So they are bound to give their 342 unpaid good natured volunteers at least a £100 bonus. Nice one.
Yeh right.........

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
£6 day expensive, I don’t think so, it cost me £18 to park in the hospital car park while in emergency last year. If you can also get a refund on your £6 spend it’s a bargain.
Anglers expect cheap sport that why my club as just lost one of its waters to water sports club. There are other groups willing to pay a lot more for a day on what you think of as your water.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
£6 day expensive, I don’t think so, it cost me £18 to park in the hospital car park while in emergency last year. If you can also get a refund on your £6 spend it’s a bargain.
Anglers expect cheap sport that why my club as just lost one of its waters to water sports club. There are other groups willing to pay a lot more for a day on what you think of as your water.
Yes but at least you got something for your money (albeit its a rip off), you was not charged £6 just for the legal right to park your car somewhere! This money does not buy you fishing!

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
The old water board licence was to carry a rod and line, if this has changed I don't know. A lot of other angling laws remain the same so this rule may still be on the books.
Fish one of the free fishing canals or ponds and £6 with a few slices of bread is a very cheap way to fish.
It wouldn't do for me but then spending money comes easy if I spend it on myself.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It can all be made to look good value or bad depending on what you choose but I don't have to pay £6 for the legal right to go and watch a football match or go to a cinema or walk in the country for a day, why fishing! Its no more a harmless pastime than any of those, imagine they bought out licenses for those, there would be a riot. In fact I cannot think of any likewise precedent. Carrying a rod and line is hardly difficult or dangerous. License to drive a car or carry a shotgun or anything that's a bit dangerous or needs monitoring I understand; but fishing! Its just another con; it lines some pockets I am sure.
Anyway, regardless what we all think individually the poll shows its not popular and if its true and 85% of people are not going to buy one day licenses whereas they did before, then another loss to fishing; should have kept it at £3; -

The only remit these people have in their miserable lives, is how to rip us off for more money so I like to see them fail.

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
should have kept it at £3

Exactly. And thats why it will lose them money not make them money. They are pricing it at a level where people will take the risk not to pay.

If they want to make money the first thing I would do is pass a new law to make it the responsibility of the fishery or club to only sell tickets to people who show a valid rod license first. I bet that would almost eliminate people fishing illegally or at least reduce it drastically.

When they sell you the ticket they ask to see your license first. That way I bet we would see the revenue from license sales soar and they could probably put the price down and still make more money than they do now with like half a dozen EA baliffs trying to cover the entire country.

Stupid, ineffective and pointless.

B

binka

I have to admit to skewing the poll slightly though it would have made little difference.

I voted on the thread title of "£6 too much for a one day licence" in which case I thought and voted no.

The actual question was different though and doesn't affect me in the slightest and I would have answered yes in that I would still have bought a one day licence if need be at £6.

Maybe it's a case of perspective?

If someone said there was an offer on one day licences and they've been reduced from £10 to £6 then everyone would be saying what good value it was?

Just my worthless opinion, many and highly likely more valid opinions are available :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have to admit to skewing the poll slightly though it would have made little difference.

I voted on the thread title of "£6 too much for a one day licence" in which case I thought and voted no.

The actual question was different though and doesn't affect me in the slightest and I would have answered yes in that I would still have bought a one day licence if need be at £6.

Maybe it's a case of perspective?

If someone said there was an offer on one day licences and they've been reduced from £10 to £6 then everyone would be saying what good value it was?

Just my worthless opinion, many and highly likely more valid opinions are available :)

I did that at first Binka, but when I went back to vote I read it again and put my vote in the right place. It is perspective, agree but I am just inclined not to buy one out of principle rather than the cost of it. This is just a wangling effort to screw another million+ quid out of us under the guise of modernizing and updating the license, they slip these increases under the radar while diverting our attention from it. Its sleight of hand, I am not expecting you or anyone to see it like that but I just kind of get sick of the way these people do their business so I am not giving them my money if I can help it. And we give them 30+ million a year and they cannot even give a few volunteers a few quid out of that, I am very anti all of them at the moment. I wont say anymore but I will post up a reply from the Gov when I get it.
Over and out.

Last edited:

eric

Reaction score
Thanks again for all your replies and interesting debate. I'm thinking of getting a full licence this year but sometimes I just don't have £30 so day licences used to be a good alternative

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
End of the day the way that I look at it is that if anyone is serious enough about there coarse fishing then they'll automatically get themselves a license,

NO MATTER WHAT :rolleyes:

Yes ok so the price has gone up, it's simply no good us winging about it because it ain't gonna make the slightest bit of difference, not unless a lot of people club together and create a massive national campaign which to be honest I very much doubt,

There's no real excuse for not having any form of license wheather it's a day, week or yearly payment regardless of the prices going up, if a car license went up half again or even double would you drive illegally :rolleyes: I very much doubt it :wh

Yep I know full well that there individuals up and down the country who don't bother purchasing a license and try to dodge the system but there obviously doing this at there peril because if one ever does get caught it'll definitely cost em a hell of a lot more in the long run and I'm sorry but I definitely for one will not have any sympathy :wh

If the majority of us serious coarse anglers go out of our way to obtain a license and then not have to worry by constantly looking over our shoulders then what right do others seem to think that they have over us in thinking that they can get away with it and fish illegally :mad:

As far as I'm concerned for the minority's who dodge the license are simply not proper and respected coarse anglers

thecrow

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned for the minority's who dodge the license are simply not proper and respected coarse anglers

That would be me for a number of years then :) didn't seem to bother the fish I didn't pay the tax on principal, its only because I fish with someone sometimes as a guest that I pay it now.

Oh and I never needed one when I was poaching waters as no one knew I was there.

What's a proper angler?

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
£6 isn't much to pay for 24 hours plenty of free fishing around
What other sport can you get 24 hours for £6??
Biggest problem no license for the one rod angler.
This has only been done to keep the carp crowd happy
Another angling trust cockup everything they do is a cockup now they are a waste of your money if your mad enough to join

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
That would be me for a number of years then :) didn't seem to bother the fish I didn't pay the tax on principal, its only because I fish with someone sometimes as a guest that I pay it now.

Oh and I never needed one when I was poaching waters as no one knew I was there.

What's a proper angler?

That's fair enough as end of the day it's each to there own,

" proper angler " I suppose it's someone who respects the bye laws that is layed down by the government and accept the fact that if a license is supposed to be purchased and used then so be it , why always run the risk of being caught,

I'd wanna fish feeling safe and comfortable without having to look over me shoulder constantly, how does one actually enjoy their fishing by having to be on the look out all of the time.

If you poach then I'm honestly not at all surprised in you not having a license.

If the majority of us have a license I fail to understand in why you feel you should be different from all of the rest, this is genuinely not a dig but just more so curious :rolleyes: