£6 too much for a one day licence

If you purchase one day licences, will you be buying one after April 1st for £6?

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters

thecrow

Reaction score
If the majority of us have a license I fail to understand in why you feel you should be different from all of the rest, this is genuinely not a dig but just more so curious

For a number of years I fished without a licence, I didn't and still don't like what the EA did with the money they got from anglers such as the lack of people out on the bank (that's why I knew there was little chance of being caught) while lots made comfy livings from the fishing tax raised.

Another reason was/is that different EA departments have different agenda's which don't necessarily fit in with each other and its rivers that suffer because of this. 2 glaring examples of this are.

At the moment the EA are busy paying contractors to fell lots of trees along river banks, not just a few but every tree along some river stretches, their reason for doing this? "it helps stop flooding" by speeding water up while at the same time the same EA is saying that by putting woody debris into water courses to make "leaky dams" that slow down and hold water back is the way to go, it all reminds me of the days of dredging and straightening of rivers which the EA told us then was the way to go.

The second example concerns Powick weir on the Theme, in conjunction with the Severn Rivers Trust (SRT) they intend to remove the weir completely under the guise of allowing shad to access the upper reaches of the river to spawn, good idea you might think and it would be if it wasn't for the fact that the EA have admitted this will drop the water level upstream by up to a metre with the resulting speeding up of higher water in winter and the associated bank erosion and wildlife habitat destruction. Shad have successfully spawned below the weir for a long long time and an angler that was a little cynical might think that the Shad is bring used as just an excuse to get their (EA and SRT) hands on a £20million windfall from the EU for improving the lot of the Shad which by the way is although protected is not endangered as is the European Eel that the EA still sell licences to trap.

I could go on with lots more reasons about why I don't want the EA getting their hands on my money but as I said for now while I occasionally fish as a guest of another angler I will out of respect for him pay it.

As I have answered your question may I ask you one please?

Which is worse an angler with a licence that thinks nothing of leaving litter on waters including things that endanger wildlife, the same sort of angler that I have seen put barbel back to soon with no rest only to turn belly up or one on a commercial that thinks nothing of damaging the mouth of a fish or an angler that does none of these but fishes without a licence? Which one is the "proper angler"?

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
For a number of years I fished without a licence, I didn't and still don't like what the EA did with the money they got from anglers such as the lack of people out on the bank (that's why I knew there was little chance of being caught) while lots made comfy livings from the fishing tax raised.

Another reason was/is that different EA departments have different agenda's which don't necessarily fit in with each other and its rivers that suffer because of this. 2 glaring examples of this are.

At the moment the EA are busy paying contractors to fell lots of trees along river banks, not just a few but every tree along some river stretches, their reason for doing this? "it helps stop flooding" by speeding water up while at the same time the same EA is saying that by putting woody debris into water courses to make "leaky dams" that slow down and hold water back is the way to go, it all reminds me of the days of dredging and straightening of rivers which the EA told us then was the way to go.

The second example concerns Powick weir on the Theme, in conjunction with the Severn Rivers Trust (SRT) they intend to remove the weir completely under the guise of allowing shad to access the upper reaches of the river to spawn, good idea you might think and it would be if it wasn't for the fact that the EA have admitted this will drop the water level upstream by up to a metre with the resulting speeding up of higher water in winter and the associated bank erosion and wildlife habitat destruction. Shad have successfully spawned below the weir for a long long time and an angler that was a little cynical might think that the Shad is bring used as just an excuse to get their (EA and SRT) hands on a £20million windfall from the EU for improving the lot of the Shad which by the way is although protected is not endangered as is the European Eel that the EA still sell licences to trap.

I could go on with lots more reasons about why I don't want the EA getting their hands on my money but as I said for now while I occasionally fish as a guest of another angler I will out of respect for him pay it.

As I have answered your question may I ask you one please?

Which is worse an angler with a licence that thinks nothing of leaving litter on waters including things that endanger wildlife, the same sort of angler that I have seen put barbel back to soon with no rest only to turn belly up or one on a commercial that thinks nothing of damaging the mouth of a fish or an angler that does none of these but fishes without a licence? Which one is the "proper angler"?

Yes mate, now you've put it across like that especially regarding to yer very last sentence I for one can clearly see where yer coming from, clearly its gotta be the caring angler which I would believe to be yer good self :thumbs:

In hind sight if you really feel so strongly about the license issue I suppose that's really up to the individual and wish the very best of luck, but just be careful.

In reality Crow I don't particularly wanna have to cough up £30 and if I honestly thought I'd get away with it I probably wouldn't bother with one as many others I no doubt would possibly feel the same but I'm a family man who is a career for me wife so not exactly on a great income for the last few years apart from the odd bit I do here and there at times,

With this I wouldn't like the thought of being caught and then have the embarrassment of perhaps going to court or at the very least being faced with a heavy fine that I couldn't possibly afford at the time and would end up having to pay by monthly instalments :(

To me that would probably mess me fishing up for the rest of the year and probably into the next year as my fishing money's would have to be used to pay for fines :eek:mg:

On the face of it I'd much sooner just simply swallow and pay the £30 and then have piece of mind for the year :D

But at the same time Crow I do respect yer approach towards the situation and just say be carful :thumbs:

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have only had an acknowledgement from the EA to my question regarding rebate to the one day license. However, I happened to find the answer on the angling trust site. It is as follows:-

(5) A "SINGLE" 1 or 8 day fee will be discounted from the full annual of the same licence type on upgrading. A fourteen day window from the date and time of expiry will exist to upgrade to a full annual. The window to upgrade will expire at 23:59 on the fourteenth day.

So no real gain, don't give anything away do they-silly of me to think they might miss a trick when it comes to slime balling money from me...........I don't think they see us as anything other than cash cows and they will exploit that as much as they can get away with.

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
QUOTE= thames mudlarker; I'm a family man who is a career for me wife

i take my hat of to you mate ..:thumbs:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just to let you know I got a reply from the EA, it only reiterates what was on the trust website. Thought I would post it just to show they replied.

Dear Mark
The credit of the one day or eight day licence towards the annual licence applies to one short term licence only, the full licence will need to be purchased within fourteen days of the short term expiry date to qualify.

Kind Regards

Gary Hickey

Customer Service Adviser

National Customer Contact Centre - Part of National Operations Services