World's strongest knots?

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I had to do a double take - thought the thread was entitled "World's strongest knob"

I prefer a 5 turn grinner - my Daiwa Sensor always breaks first so it must be strong

mikench

Reaction score
I can manage those knots with a large sea hook and thick mono but 4lb mono to a size 18 in a gale is something else entirely:rolleyes:

The one good thing about age is the knowledge of ones limitations:)

dave m

Reaction score
I can manage those knots with a large sea hook and thick mono but 4lb mono to a size 18 in a gale is something else entirely:rolleyes:
The one good thing about age is the knowledge of ones limitations:)
im only using the modified trilene knot to tie my 12-15lb mainline to a swivel [if barbel fishing] or to a metre length of leadcore [if carp fishing] so not too fiddly to use.

Keith M

Reaction score
I use the 5 turn grinner knot (named after **** Walkers son 'Grinner'); It hasn't let me down so far.

Keith

Philip

Reaction score
The thing about knots is that there are quite a few that have been shown to give 100% of the line strength but it needs to be taken into account that this is when the knot is tied absolutely perfectly. Its unlikely if you tie a knot 100 times that it will always end up the same and this can impact the final knot strength and some can vary enormously.

Its one of the reasons I use a Palomar for most of my knots because although its not going to give 100% line strength its one of the most consistently strong knots out there. Tie it 100 times, in the cold and dark with wet fingers etc etc and its always going to be a very strong knot. Basically its difficult to tie a "bad" Palomar.

I have never had one let me down and it also works for every material I have come across..Mono, Braid, Fluro and so on. The limiting factor is you need to be able to get the line through the eye of the hook or swivel twice but in reality thats very rarely if ever an issue unless your using massively strong line with a tiny hook which hardly ever happens.

its a great knot.

thecrow

Reaction score
Its unlikely if you tie a knot 100 times that it will always end up the same and this can impact the final knot strength and some can vary enormously

Agree with that, if an angler has used a knot and come to trust it over a period of time I see no reason to change, if the knot fails one day it wont be the fault of the knot, I use a grinner sometimes twice through the eye sometimes 5 turns occasionally 6/7 I have no idea why its just how I feel when I am tying it.

B

binka

The thing about knots is that there are quite a few that have been shown to give 100% of the line strength but it needs to be taken into account that this is when the knot is tied absolutely perfectly. Its unlikely if you tie a knot 100 times that it will always end up the same and this can impact the final knot strength and some can vary enormously.

I reject, snip off and start again so many times these days with knots.

Invariably this is with hooklinks, main line tends to be fine every time which in turn suggests to me that the race for the ultimate fine diameter to strength ratio is showing a few vulnerabilities but then this has always been the case to a certain degree imo, but never as much as of late.

Usually it's upon tightening down the knot, despite wetting it and teasing it down gradually the line often shows signs of damage when I then hold it up to the light before having to start again.

Just as an aside (and for those who wish to re-use smaller spade end hooks, as I do) I carry a lighter and use it to burn away the line whipping on a spade end hook which can be a buqqer to get rid of otherwise, just hold the hook in a small pair of forceps as you do it.