Is a marina subject to river closed season?

lutra

Reaction score
As I said if you read the bye laws.............. obvious that you haven't so here's a bit from the Severn Trent catchment area which the said marina is within.

When and where can I fish for eels?
You can fish for eels with rod and line in most fisheries throughout the year - the only exception is during the coarse fish close season on designated Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) listed in table 1 below..
Where the coarse fish close season applies you may fish for eels provided you do not use a hook with a gape of less than 0.5 inches (12.7mm) and use either artificial or natural fly (which term excludes bloodworms, jokers and other midge larvae), spinners, minnows, worms, prawns or shrimps as bait. You may keep eel in a keepnet or keep sack but you must return them to the water. This is a regional byelaw.
When can I fish for trout?

The close season for brown trout and rainbow trout in rivers, and for brown trout in unenclosed stillwaters, is the period from 8th. October to 17th.March inclusive.

There is more but like I said you have to read the bye laws, it goes on to say what baits can and cannot be used along with some items of tackle that cannot be used.

Here is a bit from the Yorkshire region bye laws, it would appear that an angler can fish for Trout in rivers as long as other stipulations are adhered to,

The close season for all non-migratory trout in
rivers, streams, drains and canals and for
brown trout in all waters other than enclosed
stillwaters, is from 1 October to 24 March
inclusive.

So what? You still can't coarse fish on rivers in the coarse fish closed season in England and Wales.

thecrow

Reaction score
So what? You still can't coarse fish on rivers in the coarse fish closed season in England and Wales.

Wrong I am afraid. An angler can fish for Eels during the river closed season and the last time I looked the Eel was classified as a coarse fish. just in case you missed it here is the relevant section of the bye law.

Where the coarse fish close season applies you may fish for eels

Oh nearly forgot........... that's what!

lutra

Reaction score
Wrong I am afraid. An angler can fish for Eels during the river closed season and the last time I looked the Eel was classified as a coarse fish. just in case you missed it here is the relevant section of the bye law.

Where the coarse fish close season applies you may fish for eels

Oh nearly forgot........... that's what!

No despite often being listed with coarse fish, it's very much a migrant that breeds and spends a large part of its life at sea. There's a bit of a clue on the EA site when it say's trout, coarse fish AND EELS.

It's only hard if you want it to be me old crow and your boring now, so bye.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
That's cleared absolutely nothing up lol and if that's the official stance from the EA then it goes to show how complicated it all is. There are many marinas where you could get in trouble for fishing this time of year as you would for fishing the backwater previously mentioned by KeithM.

If I was you mate i'd get that in writing and print it out as it could be one of those 'Well that wasn't what your lot said before' scenarios when you get you collar felt by the EA patrols (on a bank holiday of course) who have a different set of instructions.

I'd be wary that the 'man made' argument would apply everywhere in the country to marinas and backwaters that join rivers.

Absolutely agree Ian, well said :thumbs:

stripey

Reaction score
Why don't canals have a close season? Don't fish breed in canals as well as rivers?

Some canals do have a closed season, the Ashby canal has a closed season all the way from Snarestone in Leicestershire to the junction with the Coventry Canal, This is because the stretch mentioned is a SSSI,

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Well done "Waralan" for doing the legwork.

It is a "minefield"!

Not all canals or all enclosed stillwaters are open, many are closed to coarse fishing during the Closed Season.

My preference is for a Closed Season across the board but that is not going to happen. Neither will the current befuddled state be changed.

Anyone who wants to coarse fish between 15th March and 15th June and is not sure of his/her venues should really do their homework.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more Neil, I for one also feel quite strongly about this, well said :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

Good job it aint the Thames or you could be catching some proper "brownies" :eek:

Funny PMSL :D

wardalan1987

Reaction score
All in the interest of clarity I have requested information from the EA to explain how and why the river closed season does not apply to a marina. The explanation should point you in the right direction to identify if closed season applies or not however I would say regardless it's always worth checking with the EA to confirm.

Basically if it's a natural cut out then closed season applies. If it's artificial then as far as the EA is concerned it can be fished year round. If it's artificial then it's down to the land owner to dictate if they wish to impose a closed season or not.

Hopefully attached if it works is a screenshot of the email. I have removed personal details in the interest of privacy. Any questions then it's best to contact the EA directly to discuss further.

e39bcfc8f3e2b150e82c3b1b2ca1ef80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecrow

Reaction score
Thanks for that clarification, my initial presumption that the closed season would apply proved to be completely wrong along with others that thought it "wasn't hard" :D

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Very true, I think wherever a governing body is involved things are never easy. In addition some people clearly struggle to distinguish between fact and their opinion. At times they may be the same but vary often they are complete opposites.

You help pointing me in the direction of legislation was appreciated "thecrow"

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk