Is a marina subject to river closed season?

wardalan1987

Reaction score
All I was thinking of going to shardlow marina tomorrow for a couple of hours. Do you know if it is subject to the river closed season or if it's open all year round?

There website doesn't appear to say and it's to late to call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rich66

Reaction score
I suppose it depends on what the marina is connected too, our club has a marina but it's branched off the river soar so the city council which we rent the water off insist we obey the close season.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Thanks rich,

It is off the river Trent. I guess then really it will depend on nottingham local authority to decide if they deem this part of the river or not then.

rich66

Reaction score
I would have thought logically it is part of the Trent but it's only a guess going on how ours works.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure as their website is unclear, All it states is:

"FISHING OFF BOATS ONLY - NOT OFF PONTOONS.
BANKSIDE FISHING CHARGED AT £5 PER DAY."

They really should clarify that it would be subject to a closed season.

theartist

Reaction score
I would concur with Mr Crow as have googled said location and it is so far inland that it must be closed season. Was thinking of asking a similar question regarding a river down south but that is much nearer a tidal reach.

Would be best to keep the rods at home and the money in the wallet so to speak.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
I know a good canal stretch close to there.

Think I will fish there till their information office opens at 9am. Then give them a call to find out for sure.

It's really not worth being caught fishing during closed season even if it is an innocent mistake.

theartist

Reaction score
I know a good canal stretch close to there.

Think I will fish there till their information office opens at 9am. Then give them a call to find out for sure.

It's really not worth being caught fishing during closed season even if it is an innocent mistake.

Good shout Wardalan let us know how you got on if you get the green light :)

B

binka

I'm pretty much with the swathe of opinion here, if the marina is connected to a river system then the close season applies but my experience of marinas, from narrowboating, suggests that this will come second in revenue terms to clarifying the facts.

The weirdest section of water I've ever encountered in terms of clarification of river or canal, is the section of the Trent & Mersey which comes off the lock at Alrewas and is classed as a riverised section until the weir.

My sister's narrowboat is moored a few hundred yards downstream of this at Wychnor on a section of 'canal' where you can usually trot and is, in appearance, far more like a river.

Which reminds me...

I must go and see her often during the next three months :)

rayner

Reaction score
It's not difficult rivers are closed, of course you could always risk it you never know you may get away with it.
Let us know how much it costs you after court costs.:D

thecrow

Reaction score
It's not difficult rivers are closed, of course you could always risk it you never know you may get away with it.
Let us know how much it costs you after court costs.:D

Chances are that he would, I have seen anglers fishing upstream of Shardlow marina out of season when crossing the bridge in my car.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Rayner, first of all comments of that nature are not helpful and not appreciated.

I have spoken to the marina and they state that it is open to fish all year round. I will confirm this with the environments agency on Monday.

As for your theory of it's "it's not difficult rivers are closed" quiet clearly it's not a river it's a marina..... it's a manmade structure that joins onto a river in the same way as many canals, reservoir's, locks and lakes that many of are not subject to a closed season. As you may now understand it's far from a obvious answer, the constructive replies from individuals seems to be testament of it being a grey area and nobody seems to know for sure.

Now that the marina has confirmed that you can fish year round I will post up tomorrow what the environment agencies take is on this.

john step

Reaction score
I would put money on it that the close season applies. It doesn't matter what any marina owner says. The owner wants your money. If you get checked (unlikely) by the EA bailiff you will be reported the marina owner won't.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
In the interest of caution I have stuck to the canal until a point where I have received confirmation either way from the EA.

I appreciate the feedback.

john step

Reaction score
In the interest of caution I have stuck to the canal until a point where I have received confirmation either way from the EA.

I appreciate the feedback.

I and others would be very interested in the result of your contact with the EA.
If the answer is that you can fish I would suggest you retain the name of the person spoken to?

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Will keep you all updated.

Good point John, appreciate it.

rich66

Reaction score
I think it just needs scrapping, seems to me fewer anglers use the rivers and canals, so there's less pressure on spawning fish. I mention canals as local to me there's canalised sections of river which are closed too, just to add to the confusion.

I would hazard a guess that boat traffic and general cutting down or ripping up during tidying up operations damages more spawning grounds, fry hiding places etc than anglers catching a fish full of spawn or weakened from just spawning.