Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  32
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Default Re: Avoiding the Gangsters

Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    Skip, I saw my first, and hopefully my last on the river rother last summer. I was quivertipping and was catching lots of small chub then pulling out for a recast saw this awefull creature hanging from my hook.
    I knew it straightaway and stamped on it well away from the riverside.
    I hope I never see another --- loathsome creatures, ugh !!!!!
    It wont be the last you see. Once they get in...they stay in.

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by greenie62 View Post
    Sounds like a good reason to stock stillwaters with big chub!
    That'd be a way to clean-up the Crays!
    Wouldn't even dent the population. Once they get established there is no shifting the bar$tard things.

Fens pools in Dudley are infested with the things fished it once gaveup and came back to the cut .

Whats needed is a Guarenteed safe biological soloution something that ONLY does for the Signal Crayfish and nowt else .

PG ...
    Theres no dark side of the moon really as a matter of fact its all dark

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by maggot_dangler View Post
    Fens pools in Dudley are infested with the things fished it once gaveup and came back to the cut .

Whats needed is a Guarenteed safe biological soloution something that ONLY does for the Signal Crayfish and nowt else .

PG ...
    I believe some trials took place trying to develop exactly that. If memory serves anything strong enough to do for Reggie also did for just about everything else too. I've said this before but some Scandinavian country did reasonably well by trapping the big males, frying their nadgers then returning​ them. This made a serious dent in their breeding efficiency and i think was successful in controlling the population if not eradicating them.

I don't think there is a solution and there certainly isn't the will at the EA to do anything meaningful about the bloody things. Eventually they'll have eaten everything and have to resort to cannibalism.......... or more likely just buqqer off and infest somewhere else. The damned things can walk for miles across country.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    I believe some trials took place trying to develop exactly that. If memory serves anything strong enough to do for Reggie also did for just about everything else too. I've said this before but some Scandinavian country did reasonably well by trapping the big males, frying their nadgers then returning​ them. This made a serious dent in their breeding efficiency and i think was successful in controlling the population if not eradicating them.

I don't think there is a solution and there certainly isn't the will at the EA to do anything meaningful about the bloody things. Eventually they'll have eaten everything and have to resort to cannibalism.......... or more likely just buqqer off and infest somewhere else. The damned things can walk for miles across country.
    Ok I suppose the EA just turn around and say too expensive to do as Anglers we ought to have the right to haul the dammed things out and do whatever is needed cook them if they are bigenough as long as they are the Signals and not the smaller white clawed british verity .
    All from the habit of washing the bilges out here after filling for ballast over there and washing out here .
    In many ways we need to get like the Aussies now in that aint dead and clean .

PG ...
    Theres no dark side of the moon really as a matter of fact its all dark

Quote Originally Posted by maggot_dangler View Post
    as Anglers we ought to have the right to haul the dammed things out and do whatever is needed cook them if they are bigenough as long as they are the Signals and not the smaller white clawed british verity .
    We do have the right.
    To trap them you need a permit (free) https://www.gov.uk/guidance/permissi...-and-sea-trout

If you just want to catch them then thats fine too. They are apparently very good eating. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...nbiot-crayfish
    Ramblings about my attempts to catch fish and the search for the perfect sausage can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

Small wooden balls that are glugged in smelly gluggy stuff make a decent alternative hookbait, need to fish a short stiffish hooklength and blob it on as ronnie and reggie can easily pull out boilie stiops or cut braid hairs. Get them from craft shops.

long term the solution will be to do some genetic manipulation and alter their genes to make any female offspring sterile.
    will it ever happen though.

7. Default Re: Avoiding the Gangsters

You need to organise a party https://sweden.se/culture-traditions...rayfish-party/ . Years back I remember my brother telling me how he went to a party held by some Swedes and Finns . It was a Crayfish party . So maybe that is your answer
    Steve

These were caught by a professional trapper from a short section of the river Eden. Once they are in it is impossible to get them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Roberts View Post

These were caught by a professional trapper from a short section of the river Eden. Once they are in it is impossible to get them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jeez, no wander those chub at Edenbridge have grown so big

Can remember many years ago that a 4 lb chub from there would of been a good fish but nowadays there's now a fair few between 6-7 lb

I've virtually fished all of the Eden at some point over the last 32 years and is one of me favourite little Kentish rivers
    Last edited by thames mudlarker; 23-03-2017 at 09:40.

Quote Originally Posted by thames mudlarker View Post
    Jeez, no wander those chub at Edenbridge have grown so big

Can remember many years ago that a 4 lb chub from there would of been a good fish but nowadays there's now a fair few between 6-7 lb

I've virtually fished all of the Eden at some point over the last 32 years and is one of me favourite little Kentish rivers
    I belong to Edenbridge and District. Nice friendly club with some very nice waters.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast