FishingMagic Forums

Go Back   FishingMagic Forums > FISHING FORUMS > General Fishing
Register Forums Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Search Mark Forums Read

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 14:16

fishing4luckies is on a distinguished road
Default Avoiding the Gangsters

It's the Crays I'm on about - not the double 'ard east end duo of yesteryear, but the dreaded American Signal buggers that litter our waters.

I'm planning on fishing a couple of lakes over the close season specifically to target some of the bigger (8lb +) Tincas which live there.

The problem is that it's well known that both lakes are also home to large populations of Crays.

I've looked around on the web to see how the Carping fraternity deals with the issue, and with the exception of an overtly complex rig and setup on the Korda website (more engineering than angling) I can't see that anyone yet has found a solution.

It may be a dumb question (the odds are that it is) but can Tincas reliably be induced to feed further up in the water - at least 4 inches off bottom to beat the snappers? If so, then I'd be looking at dangling some suitably enticing bait (wriggly dendra soaked in hemp Oil or something weird like that) under a bobber type float or a chunky waggler.

Thoughts gents please.
thames mudlarker likes this.
Old 20-03-2017, 14:41

chrissh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Avoiding the Gangsters

Whatever you do there be back time and time again ... I have tried tins of cat food each side of a swim, fishing up of the bottom, there still come into you swim, I even had them climbing up a keep net trying to get in it
Old 20-03-2017, 15:25

rich4930 is on a distinguished road

I've got a similar problem on my tench lake, but with turtles. Pain in the bum, I've had to stop using prawns (in groundbait at least - on the hook only when I know tench are present), despite getting my 7lb PB on one. I did get some great underwater footage though of one tucking into a fresh ball of groundbait!

My answer though, as I said is just simply avoid meat/fish like bait. I just stick to groats, hemp and corn. Not really happy but it avoids them and the tench still come.
Old 20-03-2017, 15:32

fishing4luckies is on a distinguished road

So maybe a crumb based groundbait laced with corn and hemp and then a couple grains of corn on the hook or hair?

I've yet to try hooking hemp. I don't prepare my own (lifes too short!!) but buy it from my local tackle shop - this stuff Crafty Catcher

I'll have a go at hooking some (maybe yet another use for the Anglers Superglue I was given for christmas by a well meaning but slightly mental relative)
Old 20-03-2017, 15:44

barbelboi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing4luckies View Post
but can Tincas reliably be induced to feed further up in the water - at least 4 inches off bottom to beat the snappers?
When the water warms up tench can be caught at all levels. Not my favourite method for catching them but I've had many a gravel pit tench whilst fishing up in the water and on the drop for carp.
Old 20-03-2017, 15:47

rich4930 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing4luckies View Post
I've yet to try hooking hemp. I don't prepare my own (lifes too short!!) but buy it from my local tackle shop

Personally, I don't buy prepared hemp, money's too scarce!! ;-) I've thought about it but at approx 4x the cost?! And it's not difficult to prepare, just cover with water and leave it 48hrs! Contrary to popular belief you do NOT have to cook hemp. It just has the advantage of making it sweeter, which is admittedly not a bad thing for tench.

I don't use it on the hook either. I used to for roach, but for tench I prefer a big bold bait. There's no denying it's pulling power though which is why I use it in spod mix or groundbait.

Yeah, for groundbait I'd say stick to crumb based. I had a phase of putting soaked cat biscuits through a sieve but of course that's what the turtles and presumably also crayfish just love. In fact, I don't use too much groundbait at all now, just enough kick things off. After that just particles.
Old 20-03-2017, 16:08

flightliner is on a distinguished road

Plastic hookbaits could be a start, they work for me.That said my stillwaters dont have any crays.
Old 20-03-2017, 19:02

S-Kippy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
Plastic hookbaits could be a start, they work for me.That said my stillwaters dont have any crays.
Pray they stay like that, Flight. You have no idea what it's like in some waters down here which are literally heaving with the damned things. It's heartbreaking and there is very little you can do about it. Some of my favourite waters i simply won't fish anymore because of the signals. My loss but I just can't fish through them.

And some of them are bloody hay-uge ! Like chuffin lobsters.

Last edited by S-Kippy; 20-03-2017 at 19:05.
Old 20-03-2017, 20:06

robcourt82 is on a distinguished road

I once read an article from a carp mag where the guy said to sterilize the rig in boiling water before casting out and not to touch it with your hands after its been sterilized. I've never had the need to try it but I guess if you used a plastic hookbait and it was sterilized there may be nothing to attract the crays attention. Think it was Dave Moore the nutrabaits guy who wrote the article.
Old 20-03-2017, 20:41

peter crabtree will become famous soon enough

If crays are there they will be there whatever measures are taken to eradicate them. In the SE where I live they are present virtually everywhere.
Any smelly baits, groundbait etc and they will be on it.
I now accept they are out of control and there's precious little can be done.
I have however learnt to live with them and can often recognise the silly pulls and twitches they give on quivertips and floats. I will always lift ( polite name for strike) at any movement whatever and if I land one I stamp on it and dispose of it in the nearest litter bin as it is illegal to return them to the water dead or alive!
IMO there is no bait they won't have a go at so there's no solution except fishing up in the water or grin and bear it....