A bit of a dilemma.....

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
One easy solution is to let the other half come along,

I'd go fishing on a river,

I'd let em set up there little deck chair , reading book, picnic, I mean buffet....lols

My way of fishing is roving in various swims every 10 -15 mins :D

If they wanna keep up they've then gotta be prepared to pack all there gear / clobber away each time and keep moving :rolleyes:

They'll soon get pi##ed off and not wanna come no more :wh.......:D

And that's not including the toilet needs, lots of stinging nettles, brambles and hawthorn when roving PMSL :p

Last edited:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Some interesting replies indeed.

The thing is that the missus is not the type to moan about a lack of facilities or worry about nettles - she climbs mountains in blizzards for fun (seriously!!)

She grew up in the Bavarian mountains and is as fit as a butchers dog and enjoys the outdoor life as much as I do, if not more.

I'm not worried about the whingeing on the bank. But she is VERY competitive....:eek:

stripey

Reaction score
I have only taken my other half fishing once, she expressed a desire to come fishing with me a couple of times ,which i managed to side track, but on this occasion i was not mentally quick enough to find an excuse ! so i agreed to take her for a couple of hours, so i suggested to go on a Sunday afternoon, after i had had 5 hours to myself in the morning, we went to an old estate lake on the Drbyshire /Leicestershire border [ Staunton Harold] which was at that time on the Swadlincote a a book, at that time it was locally known as a good Roach and Tench venue in fact i had a Roach of over 2ib a couple of weeks earlier, so i thought could be okay!, no way!!!!, got there, set up, all good, been fishing about 1/2 an hour and i hear do we have anything to drink,yes i say , and pass her the flask, Don't like tea in a flask, well i said there's some Lemonade, so she drinks the pop, and within 3 mins she wants to have some food,bearing in mind that less than two hours earlier she has eaten a full Roast Beef Sunday lunch that she had expertly cooked herself, after that she needs a pee, so i say do what we men do, go behind a bush or tree, is that what you do she says , Yes say i, well she says i'm going to the Toilets in the Hall, so off she goes, she comes back about 10 minutes later and says i'm ready to go home !, okay says i, lets go!,
i know this seems a long response, but in real time this was about 1hr 15 minutes
Thank god she has never wanted to come fishing again, P S we have been married 42 yrs today, so i am very brave or a complete whimp!!!!!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
stripey.........You gave it every chance, plus your wife has gone through the motions of what it might be like on the bank, and discovered it is not for her. I suppose all you can say is it was only an hour of your own fishing time wasted, so no great loss!!

Many congratulations on the 42 years, by the way..

F4Luckies...Now that is what I call a proper wife!

mikench

Reaction score
Some interesting replies indeed.

The thing is that the missus is not the type to moan about a lack of facilities or worry about nettles - she climbs mountains in blizzards for fun (seriously!!)

She grew up in the Bavarian mountains and is as fit as a butchers dog and enjoys the outdoor life as much as I do, if not more.

I'm not worried about the whingeing on the bank. But she is VERY competitive....:eek:

Sounds like it might be you that might not want to go anymore!;)

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
To be honest, most wives are happy to go fishing when you are courting. Once married, the inclination wanes, much like the Lobster Thermidor.

Suits me, well the fishing bit. Even more so when both retired. Me time is important for both. IMO.

rich66

Reaction score
I need the "me time" gets me away from work & life just time to sit and think of nothing but the fish and watch the wildlife it's surprising what's about.
My wife has never shown an inclination to come with me even on a summers day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayner

Reaction score
I think some misunderstood the meaning of my post regarding a day with the wife and kids could be enjoyable.

For anyone with children the time to start to make memories is whilst they are young. These days can never be revisited.
OK a bloke needs a release, that should not be at the cost of anything else family related.

I used to take my daughter and I can look back on some very good memories/photos.
At the time I took her when she was around 9yrs old I never tried to fish myself, the days spent on the bank with her were all about her.

She would be sat beside me on the bank on a pond when we holidayed at the coast.
The most humorous thing was when a grown man who wandered around the bank from his peg to ask my girl what she was using. My girl turned to me and said we're throwing maggots aren't we dad. pretending I had no idea what I was doing I said yes we are. 2 maggots on 10 hooks. The throwing maggots related to the feed.
The bloke said 10 hooks ? I took the packet from my pocket and said one of these.
We were actually using maggot feed with corn up in the water in the margin by the side of reeds.

When the bloke got back to his mate the air was blue, he said they haven't got a clue and she caught three whilst I was there, using 2 maggots on a 10 hook.
She was catching small carp around 8oz to 1lb.
My daughter is now 34yrs old and remembers like it was yesterday, she also remembers other times like when a grow man behaved like an infant when a wasp stung him on his ear.
These are the times that really matter, not a day fishing alone.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm reminded that the first day of my honeymoon with my now (ex) wife was spent fishing at Bury Hill lake back in the hot summer of 76.

Before you ask, she didn't divorce me the following day, she waited a further 19 years to get her revenge.