Bait changes through the year.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
To make it yes it's a bit faffing but I buy the tubs of the ready made stuff , I know it's more expensive but far easier don't use that often unless want a stinky bait .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trotter2

Reaction score
I'm sure I've put up a few posts before about the use of dead maggots and have to say that I've used em for many years like this,

I normally buy around a gallon of red maggots at a time, take home, sieve out any debris, saw dust or maise meal and then freeze by the pint,

I seal em in a freezer bag with as much air sqeezed out of the bag as poss and then placed in large Tupperware boxes and then froze,

Incidentally it can take up to a good 36 - 48 hrs for the maggots to completely die, if taken back out anytime before this the maggots can come back to life because they haven't actually died yet, all that has happened is that there metolobism has slowed right down.

I leave mine for well over 48 hrs at the earliest before I wanna use em as dead maggots,

Once defrosted normally the night before I'm due to go fishing I then normally add some fresh maise meal to em and now because there dry from the maise they are a perfect bait to fish with,

I use a lot of em if I'm fishing the rivers when trotting for chub, dace and roach etc.

The baits that I don't really use much of these days are boilies, pellets and luncheon meat

Regarding using dead maggot on the river do you loose feed these?
Just I would have thought they would take some time to reach the bottom when loose feeding.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Luncheon meat, there is absolutely no way I can get it to stay on a hair. I also have absolutely no confidence in bread flake either, I just can't get it to stay on the hook.

These work pretty well & can work with baits other than meat too!

rayner

Reaction score
Bread is a brilliant bait however you manage to get it hooked. It's another bait I am thinking of not using to avoid carp.

Hook lengths for me have returned to what I used for roach on canals .06 for small fish or .08 if they go a little bigger, carp would be a problem if they stick their noses in I know but I don't want them.
I'll be dammed if I will try to land them with heavier lines at the cost of losing out on catching what I prefer.

john step

Reaction score
Just I would have thought they would take some time to reach the bottom when loose feeding.

I loose feed them. I think they sink OK. Not noticed any difference. I tip them into a tub of river water on arrival to defrost them. I use them from the tub of water. Most important in warm weather.

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

I fish here there and everywhere but the one bait I avoid is paste. It's just a load of faffing about in my opinion.

The shop bought stuff I find comes off too quick for my style of fishing.IE not lowering gently on a pole.

I use home made paste a lot. Just buy ready made frozen flakey pastry mix and kneed some flavour (zillions to choose from) liquid or powder.
Can be cast on a waggler. Leave hook point exposed or use one of those Korum bait cages I have already mentioned.
Simples.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Regarding paste I wrap around pellets normally and only close in fishing on waggler normally .

Does anyone use peparami ?

john step

Reaction score
Regarding paste I wrap around pellets normally and only close in fishing on waggler normally .

Yes always have a stick in the tackle bag for those emergency moments. Seems to keep for ages even when not chilled. Fished with the skin on it defeats the tiddlers.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thought it would have to be kept in the fridge ?

Would you loose feed some chopped up bits around it ? On pva string etc ?

peterjg

Reaction score
Matt: don't put peperami or luncheon meat on PVA string - sometimes (too often) the grease on the meat when you slide it on the PVA string coats the PVA and stops it from melting in the water - use a PVA mesh instead.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Great , Thankyou .

All these tips will help me avoid making mistakes to cost time or money .

Used hot dogs before close in but found at range come off and then I just hook a bag of pellets on but I tend to feed what I'm fishing with .

robtherake

Reaction score

I was using Peperami when my rod got pulled in, last summer.;)
My favourite meat bait, as I never tire of repeating, is from those U-shaped Mattessons sausages from the "deli" fridge in the supermarket, with the spicy version being a firm favourite. It's a dense meat and has a skin, so small pieces can be hooked direct, but I like to use metal bait screws like these for mounting bigger chunks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phoxinus-Meat-Bait-Coils-Suitable/dp/B01CGN1VDS

john step

Reaction score
Thought it would have to be kept in the fridge ?

Would you loose feed some chopped up bits around it ? On pva string etc ?

It seems to stay fresh enough for the fish in the bag for weeks on end.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I fish here there and everywhere but the one bait I avoid is paste. It's just a load of faffing about in my opinion.

Paste is ok if yer use it moulded around a boilie on a hair, a lot of fish don't necessarily like hard baits and this is where the paste comes into its own as not only is it soft but it tends to leak a lot more scent and flavour than what a boilie of pellet ever could especially if it's got ethinal alcohol in it :thumbs:
( not drink alcohol ) :eek:mg:.....lols

I always used to make and roll me own boilies a few years back in the days of carp fishing and then when I did several years solid barbel fishing I used to use the paste from the base mix that I made me boilies from.

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

Yes mate always use em for when loose feeding and to be honest I've spent many hrs over the years in watching the speed of the maggots fall through the water columns and have noticed that there's absolutely no difference to using live maggot :thumbs:

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
My only changes of baits during the colder months is that I stop using fatty meats (which solidify in cold water) and oily pellets and use baits that give off more smell and I also use paste coated baits that dissolve in the flow providing a flavour trail drifting downstream instead of using beds of loose feed. I also use more bread in its different forms and I use natural baits like maggots and worms a lot more.

Keith

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Another suggestion for meat type baits. Buy a block of old fashioned lard from a supermarket, melt some gently in an old frying pan, add some SBS Frankfurter flavour (it's an oil) or/and toasted sesame seed oil, stir gently. Then poor it in an old jam jar (with lid) and put it in the fridge to solidify. Open the windows.

Before casting coat the the boilie or pellet or meat coat in your new grease. Sit back and wait for buzzer to scream! Keep the jam jar out of the sun when fishing, it can be used several times before it goes off.

Make the mixture when the wife is out cos it don't half stink!!!

Last edited:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I've started using my own home -made paste recently.

It's based on a secret recipe handed down from generation to generation.

I'm not going to give it away but can tell you that it contains Unicorn Tears, Angels Hair and Babies Breath. It caught me my first 4lb+ Gudgeon :):eek:;):eek:mg:

peterjg

Reaction score
I hope someone is not taking the p!ss? My post was serious.

rayner

Reaction score
Lard used to be a breakfast staple at our house when we were kids, it was always on toast. Us kids would also dip the toast in our tea's
Not a thing I would entertain now but that's just another thing that has changed.

mikench

Reaction score
Lard used to be a breakfast staple at our house when we were kids, it was always on toast. Us kids would also dip the toast in our tea's
Not a thing I would entertain now but that's just another thing that has changed.

Had a do in Batley with some relatives of the wife and the most popular item in the buffet was mucky fat butties! Delicious!