Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Bait changes through the year.

Just this morning I've prepared 2 kilo of tares to last me until the end of October.
    It got me thinking of the changes I make through the year with the baits I use.
    The start of last season I committed to totally ignoring carp preferring silver fish.
    From Christmas of 2014 I decided to have only one day a week messing with carp and fish my other days for roach.
    That then progressed to fishing how I did when I was far younger than now. From the first time when I was around 10yrs old until I had a very serious health issue in 1998 I was very happy running a stick down the Trent or fishing the rivers Glenn and Upper Welland.

Unfortunately I can't return to that kind of fishing buy can target the same species. So the end of last summer I came to the conclusion that for some reason I wasn't enjoying fishing nearly as much as I did back then.

OK big weights come easy on commercials and if that's your thing that's fine by me. I have enjoyed commercial carp fishing when it was new to me but it's become very old hat in double quick time.

So as far as I'm concerned carp are not even in any waters I fish. A couple of years now I've gone back to bread punch through winter and really had a good time, even though the last month both the roach and skimmers are dodging me.

I'm now on pinkies and caster over groundbait, any warmer days it will be hemp and tares which is probably my favourite bait. Hemp, it's a bait I've used as feed but not been able to use as a hook bait for some time but I now can hook hemp with no trouble with the use of a simple cork.

I've totally given up on pellets, the only plus for pellet is they're cheap. Trouble is they attract carp, a species out of favour with me.
    They are an excellent bait for skimmers and Crucians I will try not to use expander pellet but the jury is out on that one as yet.

Other baits that I will ignore are meat a bait that has caught me a shedload of fish, sweet corn a decent bait but it attracts what I'm trying to avoid.
    The only baits I hope to use will be maggot, caster, worm, hemp, tares and bread.

Does anyone else have reasons for baits they will not use.

Default Re: Bait changes through the year.

Bloodworm and Joker - 'cos I don't even know what it/they are/is.

Expander pellets - sounds like a load of bother to me.

Boilies - I've never caught anything on boilies apart from the mini ones. I've got several sacks of the things that I keep meaning to give to someone at the local club lakes.

Sonubaits Hali Hookers - you can't hook 'em 'cos they split. You can't drill them 'cos they split. They're sh1t, and they split.

Squats and pinkies - dunno where I'd get them. Aren't they just small maggots?

There's probably many more to be added but I basically use maggots, worms, corn, casters, hemp and pellets where I know there's no Carp. And bread sometimes. And I tried floating biscuits for the first time at the weekend. And luncheon meat.
    Ramblings about my attempts to catch fish and the search for the perfect sausage can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

For my type of fishing that i do which is predominantly targeting large chub and river roach my all time favourite bait is definitely warburtons or Hovis bread

I'll actually use bread all of the river season for the quality silvers however if I tend to get pestered to frequently by small fish during the summer on bread I'll then revert to using large bunches of maggots on size 10-8 hooks as it'll take just that little longer for minnows and other tiny fish sometime before they completely devour a bunch of about a dozen maggots

If I'm fishing for big river perch I'll normally use small live baits IE bleak or dace,
    I'll also use air injected lobworms.

Throughout the river season I now only really target quality chub, roach and perch and this pretty much keeps me busy enough for the full 9 months

So for me it's bread, maggots, worms and live baits.
    Last edited by thames mudlarker; 22-03-2017 at 19:14.

For my still water fishing it's mainly corn or maize , meat , pellets , maggots and then groundbait , wetted micros on a feeder and hemp normally added to a groundbait mix .

Used worm but never caught much except roach and skimmers on them .

Running water is mainly bread , and various pastes

Going to try using an oily pellet groundbait mix in summer in a feeder for the chub . Oh and some meat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The original question was what bait don't you use and the reason for that.
    My don't use very often bait are live maggots. Not that I have anything against them but a 40 mile round trip just doesn't make much sense when I can buy maggots in bulk when in town and freeze them to use if and when.

Maybe I would catch more on live ones. I don t know. I certainly catch enough on dead 'uns even perch and chub. All I have to do is walk down to my shed and take out a packet of frozen gits from the bait freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    The original question was what bait don't you use and the reason for that.
    My don't use very often bait are live maggots. Not that I have anything against them but a 40 mile round trip just doesn't make much sense when I can buy maggots in bulk when in town and freeze them to use if and when.

Maybe I would catch more on live ones. I don t know. I certainly catch enough on dead 'uns even perch and chub. All I have to do is walk down to my shed and take out a packet of frozen gits from the bait freezer.
    I'm sure I've put up a few posts before about the use of dead maggots and have to say that I've used em for many years like this,

I normally buy around a gallon of red maggots at a time, take home, sieve out any debris, saw dust or maise meal and then freeze by the pint,

I seal em in a freezer bag with as much air sqeezed out of the bag as poss and then placed in large Tupperware boxes and then froze,

Incidentally it can take up to a good 36 - 48 hrs for the maggots to completely die, if taken back out anytime before this the maggots can come back to life because they haven't actually died yet, all that has happened is that there metolobism has slowed right down.

I leave mine for well over 48 hrs at the earliest before I wanna use em as dead maggots,

Once defrosted normally the night before I'm due to go fishing I then normally add some fresh maise meal to em and now because there dry from the maise they are a perfect bait to fish with,

I use a lot of em if I'm fishing the rivers when trotting for chub, dace and roach etc.

The baits that I don't really use much of these days are boilies, pellets and luncheon meat
    Last edited by thames mudlarker; 23-03-2017 at 16:41.

dont use sweetcorn much, if at all-never seem to doany good with it (certainly compared to other baits)

Used to fish mainly for carp (3 forties and 42 thirties) but now I mainly fish for roach. Hook baits used for roach: usually bread (Warburtons blue sliced) which is used flavoured. The following baits occasionally: maggots, pellets (in the warmer months), hemp, wheat and lobworms. I very occasionally use mini boilies and prawns and bits of Haribo sweets.

Wheat is a great bait so no surprise I suppose that bread is as well!
    Last edited by peterjg; 23-03-2017 at 19:09.

Blog Entries

Slugs, there is no way I would ever be able to handle them to collect them or hook them.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

sweetcorn is a great bait , seems to hold fish in the swim i find if used in with ground bait . great tench bait and roach bait too !

going to try to use hotdog more as well this year

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast