Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead or alive!

Default Dead or alive!

Not part of a wanted poster but a question about maggots. Are dead as useful and versatile as live and can/should they be mixed with GB in a feeder with one or two on the hook or is there a better way of fishing with them?

Default Re: Dead or alive!

I find dead ones are less 'disconcerting' when you accidentally drop one in your coffee and swallow it.

The frantic wriggling of the live ones is quite off-putting.

Hope this helps.
    Ramblings about my attempts to catch fish and the search for the perfect sausage can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

binka Guest

There's been a fair bit posted about the subject Mike, I use deads regularly for feed when I'm perch fishing mainly because they're just leftovers from previous sessions which have been riddled off and frozen down.

Dead maggots can be a good bait it their own right too though, especially on gravelly and silty bottoms where live ones can easily bury themselves.

Same if you want to keep your feed really tight, deads won't disperse over the distance that live maggots do.

Nothing at all wrong with mixing them in groundbait, either as a ball in or a feeder set up...

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Not part of a wanted poster but a question about maggots. Are dead as useful and versatile as live and can/should they be mixed with GB in a feeder with one or two on the hook or is there a better way of fishing with them?
    This has been on here quite a few times if you do a search. However I would say I use dead'uns 99% of the time when using maggots. Never had a problem loose or in feed.

Surprisingly it does Fishing4luckies ! I too detest the presence of maggots in my coffee>

However it was the preference of the fish which was of greater interest to me coupled with the suggested method of delivery!

Dead maggots don't seem to put fish of feeding , I've fished dead smelly old maggots on the hook at times and caught
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

I prefer live maggots, I never use dead ones unless they've been left too long in the fridge when turned up full blast and they've died (as seems to be the case with the ones in there at the moment) or if i've had some and frozen them.
    I think maggots burrowing into the substrate or crawling all over the place is a bit of an old wives tale. Reason for saying this is because i've often dropped a hand full in the margins to see what they do and they're still there hours later but are stretched out and dead as dodo's. They can't really burrow as when they try to push into the substrate they can't get any purchase to burrow, if you get my meaning.
    The only thing i'd use dead maggots for is to put in a gound bait mix and that's only if I happen to have some dead ones which isn't very often.

I froze some fresh maggots a few weeks ago within minutes of buying them! I will give them a try along with tares and hemp and live maggots and........ the list goes on. One day I will surprise you all with such unqualified success you will all want to know how I did it I just hope we all live long enough

Blog Entries

On commercial type waters it may be different (Ive only fished one commercial in the last ten years) but on the waters that I fish I've experienced that a dead maggot will get me far fewer bites than a live one, in fact whenever my bites cease I've found that it's usually because my maggot has stopped moving and I find that a fresh live one will immediately start producing bites again.

This has happened so many times over the years that I refuse to even consider deads unless I am fishing over thick soft silt or I'm adding them to a groundbait, but even then I will only use a live one on the hook.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 28-03-2017 at 17:48.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

That makes sense to me Keith! Like Tigger I have dropped some maggots into the shallow water of the margins and unless it is really silty, they do nothing and just slowly drown. I will use the ones I have just in case the wife thinks they are an unusual form of pasta

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast