It started with a float.

laguna

Reaction score
Agree Derek it starts stops and ends with a float for the vast majority of my fishing - even in the deepest of swims where my 'magic' float is concerned.

There are but two exceptions however. Distance fishing and the occasions when I use two rods. The second rod being a sleeper and the main one a float rod. I can't very well watch too floats at the same time, I just can't!

B

binka

I can't very well watch too floats at the same time, I just can't!

I've recently started doing just that Chris but only with worm under perch bobbers where I know I can get on the bite in good time.

I just line up the chair so that both floats are in a single view and it works well enough but I'd never attempt it with something like maggot or caster where you need to be straight on the bite, I'm just not quick enough.

It's just an excuse really to be able to use more floats at the same time :wh :)

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Like many on here, started with a float and will still use one whenever I can, usually the wrong float for the job, but the favourite always comes to hand (or I suspect the eye) first. However, I have never, ever fished a yellow tipped float with any confidence.

B

binka

However, I have never, ever fished a yellow tipped float with any confidence.

It's a funny old world mate.

Historically i've always held a strong aversion to yellow tipped floats for no rational reason whatsoever, maybe they interfered with my OCD by interfering with the sea of orange in my float boxes?

But...

I now seem to be able to pick out yellow much better and so I undercoated, painted over and varnished a dozen last Sunday, another thirty today and I've got around fifty to go once I get onto the sticks and Avons.

I really hope I don't change my mind :eek:mg:

B

binka

If you have erred Steve I promise to take a few off your hands!

That's very kind of you Mike, I shall bear it in mind :D

There's a certain irony going on here in that the majority of lakes and pits I fish are large and the rivers wide and consequently there is no shadow on the water so, by far my most regularly used colour is...

Black! :eek:mg:

Except for the bobbers, I've considered making a few but you can't have black tipped bobbers no matter what.

It's just not right.

:)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
That's very kind of you Mike, I shall bear it in mind :D

There's a certain irony going on here in that the majority of lakes and pits I fish are large and the rivers wide and consequently there is no shadow on the water so, by far my most regularly used colour is...

Black! :eek:mg:

Except for the bobbers, I've considered making a few but you can't have black tipped bobbers no matter what.

It's just not right.

:)

There could always be a first time Steve for black tip bobbers :D

Never know mate you could be the inervator of a new colour bobber like I am an inervator of loaded stick float type of floats :thumbs:

I could honestly see em working rather well, I believe in using floats and colours that work regardless :rolleyes:

Funnily enough I use black quite a lot meself when I'm trotting at low water on the vast expanse of the tidal Thames

Last edited:

shane99

Reaction score
I've recently started doing just that Chris but only with worm under perch bobbers where I know I can get on the bite in good time.

I just line up the chair so that both floats are in a single view and it works well enough but I'd never attempt it with something like maggot or caster where you need to be straight on the bite, I'm just not quick enough.

It's just an excuse really to be able to use more floats at the same time :wh :)

Binka same here, I sit well back from the edge & fish worm under the rod tips, After 40+ years fishing I now use two float rods when going for Perch. Like Laguna I didnt think I could but you can Laguna you can !

B

binka

There could always be a first time Steve for black tip bobbers :D

Never know mate you could be the inervator of a new colour bobber like I am an inervator of loaded stick float type of floats :thumbs:

I could honestly see em working rather well, I believe in using floats and colours that work regardless :rolleyes:

Funnily enough I use black quite a lot meself when I'm trotting at low water on the vast expanse of the tidal Thames

I had a quite a debate with myself over tip colours prior to making the bobbers Stuart, I even knocked up a black tipped one but it looked yuk and sits hidden away in a drawer.

In the end I settled on non-flouro colours as the red will silhouette and appear black against a silver surface and the yellow is the clear choice for overshadowed water, orange seems the best against a mixed shadow where I would otherwise struggle with one or the other and I mix my own clours now from a combination of flouro and non-flouro to get the brightest I can without going too far.

I like flouro tipped floats but still think there's a place for the conventional colours.

Talking of which I've just done another coat on some wagglers and i've realised I've got paint all down the front of me shirt :eek: :rolleyes:

:D

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
I had a quite a debate with myself over tip colours prior to making the bobbers Stuart, I even knocked up a black tipped one but it looked yuk and sits hidden away in a drawer.

In the end I settled on non-flouro colours as the red will silhouette and appear black against a silver surface and the yellow is the clear choice for overshadowed water, orange seems the best against a mixed shadow where I would otherwise struggle with one or the other and I mix my own clours now from a combination of flouro and non-flouro to get the brightest I can without going too far.

I like flouro tipped floats but still think there's a place for the conventional colours.

Talking of which I've just done another coat on some wagglers and i've realised I've got paint all down the front of me shirt :eek: :rolleyes:

:D

Arh the new designer flouro T shirt :D...lols

Yea Steve of course yer 100 % right about the red creating a silhouette and appearing to look black, I really should of thought about that one considering I used to use red redgills for wreck pollock that created a silhouette against the skyline and appeared black to the fish :wh didn't at first think of that DOH......:eek:mg:

I just naturally use a black float :D

Incidentally a lot of me newly innovated loaded stick floats are red and black tipped :thumbs:

When I get a few mins spare I'll send you a PM on what I actually mean about me new ideas of loaded stick float, I don't actually make the floats :rolleyes:
I just mearly adapt the style of certain floats for a very specific reason, it's such a very simple and obvious idea but does work perfectly well :thumbs:

Speak soon

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Like most on here I treasure my float fishing. The only fly in the ointment is eye tiredness during long sessions for me.

I have my eyes checked regularly and have good varifocals but at some time during the day I just have to put the float rod down and chuck out a lead on a buzzer while I eat my sarnies and give the eyes a rest.

Don't tell me to fish shorter sessions, life's too short.:D:D

My eyes are sound, I suffer from a tired body.:(