Losing tackle

mikench

Reaction score
Dropping and losing green quick change beads in the grass, helicopter rigs and other little green hobbies I can understand ( just as well as I lose loads) but how do you lose a set of stainless steel forceps!:( I despair at the rate of attrition of pieces of tackle. In the last week I have lost several hooks, beads, baiting needles and today a set of forceps.

Is it just me?;)

B

binka

Forceps are my Achilles heel Mike, I reckon I'm going to go for a bulk discount and buy an outer.

I thought I had lost them again yesterday and twice risked the disgorger on a pike before realising, as I was taking off my waistcoat at the end of the day, that they had swung inside the arm hole when first putting it on and they had been there, on the inside, all day :eek:mg:

Losing stuff is otherwise not a problem, I tend to break everything well before it has a chance of getting lost :eek:mg::eek:mg:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, I used to lose a mass of stuff, particularly scissors and forceps when fishing with one old member if this site.

Amazingly we fell out and since then I seem to be a lot more careful with my kit . . . . ;)

Strange that!

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
The worst thing to loose is the little thumb screw from the reel handle when you first go to set yer rod up on the bank,

Naturally any of me fixed spool reels are kept in reel bags in me box so the handles are always folded,

If you loose that screw in tall grass and you ain't got another reel on yer, yer basically knackered before you've even started yer session,

Nowadays I make damm sure that I've got a few spare thumb screws with me at all times :thumbs:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dropping and losing green quick change beads in the grass, helicopter rigs and other little green hobbies I can understand ( just as well as I lose loads) but how do you lose a set of stainless steel forceps!:( I despair at the rate of attrition of pieces of tackle. In the last week I have lost several hooks, beads, baiting needles and today a set of forceps.

Is it just me?;)

Mike, I suppose someones gott'a say it...it's old age m8 ;) :D.

Get a disgorger to replace the forceps, they're far better for unhooking fish....really ;)......

....not pike of course lol.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Mike, I suppose someones gott'a say it...it's old age m8 ;) :D.

Get a disgorger to replace the forceps, they're far better for unhooking fish....really ;)......

....not pike of course lol.

I know Ian I really know!:w I have all types of disgorgers but genuinely find forceps easier! I wish I was 12 again( but knowing what I do now:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With fingers becoming a bit arthritic a pair of forceps are a must and the thought of losing them wouldn't bode well for a days fishing.

The answer is to buy a stupidly expensive pair that I'd dare not lose. This is a magnificent pair with gold handles (has Binka got a pair) I think they may have come from Cartier or maybe Garrards of Bond Street.:D

929ACC53-4568-42DD-A48C-813B41EFF223_zpsfw117uws.jpg

robtherake

Reaction score
Forceps are my Achilles heel Mike, I reckon I'm going to go for a bulk discount and buy an outer.

I thought I had lost them again yesterday and twice risked the disgorger on a pike before realising, as I was taking off my waistcoat at the end of the day, that they had swung inside the arm hole when first putting it on and they had been there, on the inside, all day :eek:mg:

Losing stuff is otherwise not a problem, I tend to break everything well before it has a chance of getting lost :eek:mg::eek:mg:

Hardy do a nice brass-fronted zinger* - it's hard to lose your forceps when they're hanging on your coat! I draw the line at fastening scissors to them, though, having found out the hard way by impaling myself on some Nash braid blades when I bent over.:eek:mg:

* The newest ones are stainless so you'll just have to slum it.;)

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Hence no trademark forceps in the background of the trophy shots. ? :D

B

binka

Hardy do a nice brass-fronted zinger - it's hard to lose your forceps when they're hanging on your coat! I draw the line at fastening scissors to them, though, having found out the hard way by impaling myself on some Nash braid blades when I bent over.:eek:mg:

I already have the zinger Rob, I've been using zingers for years with my line snips and scissors on them without incident.

I did once lose the whole zinger though, along with everything on it when the pin must have come undone and I have lost count of the times my Owner scissors have come adrift when the clasp has opened up, only for them to drop straight into my waistcoat pocket below :)

I must admit I confound myself occasionally when I see my scissors hanging, blades open, and nothing bad has ever happened as a result.

I bet that's gone and done it now! :rolleyes: :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Hardy do a nice brass-fronted zinger* - it's hard to lose your forceps when they're hanging on your coat! I draw the line at fastening scissors to them, though, having found out the hard way by impaling myself on some Nash braid blades when I bent over.:eek:mg:

* The newest ones are stainless so you'll just have to slum it.;)

I sympathise. I found out the hard way that hanging a metal disgorger round me neck on a bit of pole elastic wasn't a good idea either. Fortunately I was wearing sunglasses. I rarely carry forceps ( except for zander) but i do have at least 4/5 disgorgers in every box. All gaudy colours too. The other bits that escape are just occupational hazards.I can barely see a bead when it's in me hand so I've got nae chance of finding it in the grass.

seth49

Reaction score
Try this mike.
From a pound shop I bought a small reel which has a retractable cord in it, this has a small key ring on the end, this attaches to the handle of the forceps, then fasten the reel to your waistcoat or jacket, then I sewed a thin piece of leather to my waistcoat, in a triangular shape thinnest end at the top with the cord going through.

The forceps fit in this handles down, you just take hold of the handles and pull them out to use,as they are now tethered to you you can't lose them.
Also you get two of these with pens on for a pound, do the same at the other side of waistcoat and attach your scissors to these, you shouldn't lose any more doing this, just be careful you don't cut the cord with the scissors, I have done that once.?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Get a seatbox, keep your forceps in a pull out drawer. When you need them pull out the drawer and pick up the forceps, unhook the fish, place them back in the drawer and close it....
Same goes for any other gadgets.;)

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
With fingers becoming a bit arthritic a pair of forceps are a must and the thought of losing them wouldn't bode well for a days fishing.

The answer is to buy a stupidly expensive pair that I'd dare not lose. This is a magnificent pair with gold handles (has Binka got a pair) I think they may have come from Cartier or maybe Garrards of Bond Street.:D

929ACC53-4568-42DD-A48C-813B41EFF223_zpsfw117uws.jpg

I can't stand blimmin forceps, absolutely c##p when it comes to unhooking any fish, you poke yer thumb and index finger through the holes and then only to find they blimmin well lock up on yer when you don't want em to :mad:

And as much as you try there's a lot that will not open back up again that easily, you end up dislocating yer thumb and finger in trying to re open the damm things :eek:mg:
So you now try to quickly release yer thumb and finger to now open em again and low and behold you now can't even shake of of yer hand :mad: :mad:

If you ask me I think there absolute tosh as an unhooking tool :rolleyes:

I'd much sooner go out to B & Q or any hardware store and purchase a quality small pair of long nose pliers, so much easier to use and user freindly :thumbs:

And I always carry discorgers aswell

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It wasn't the gold that lured me, it was the extra large finger loops that make the forceps so much easier to use.

Philip

Reaction score
Hardy do a nice brass-fronted zinger* - it's hard to lose your forceps when they're hanging on your coat! I draw the line at fastening scissors to them, though, having found out the hard way by impaling myself on some Nash braid blades when I bent over.

I'm with Rob ...a Zinger solved the problem for me too of losing those items you use allot like disgorgers and forceps.

Out of interest Rob ...instead of scissors just attach a small pair of clippers to the Zinger. Difficult to impale yourself on those although you might struggle clipping braid with em. For mono, no probs..

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm with Stuart needle nose pliers but mainly use discouragers got a few in different sizes . Lost many of the metal ones but high coloured plastic ones I have seen warp ! Must be the heat ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Wishful thinking !

There are 2 in the box that are bent but they was cheapies !

Normally keep them under edge of cap or in a hoody pocket if wearing one . So don't loose them . Roach and perch I seem to use them a lot with ... Greedy sods !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk