Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  74
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing tackle

Default Losing tackle

Dropping and losing green quick change beads in the grass, helicopter rigs and other little green hobbies I can understand ( just as well as I lose loads) but how do you lose a set of stainless steel forceps! I despair at the rate of attrition of pieces of tackle. In the last week I have lost several hooks, beads, baiting needles and today a set of forceps.

Is it just me?

binka Guest

Default Re: Losing tackle

Forceps are my Achilles heel Mike, I reckon I'm going to go for a bulk discount and buy an outer.

I thought I had lost them again yesterday and twice risked the disgorger on a pike before realising, as I was taking off my waistcoat at the end of the day, that they had swung inside the arm hole when first putting it on and they had been there, on the inside, all day

Losing stuff is otherwise not a problem, I tend to break everything well before it has a chance of getting lost

Blog Entries

Mike, I used to lose a mass of stuff, particularly scissors and forceps when fishing with one old member if this site.

Amazingly we fell out and since then I seem to be a lot more careful with my kit . . . .

Strange that!

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

The worst thing to loose is the little thumb screw from the reel handle when you first go to set yer rod up on the bank,

Naturally any of me fixed spool reels are kept in reel bags in me box so the handles are always folded,

If you loose that screw in tall grass and you ain't got another reel on yer, yer basically knackered before you've even started yer session,

Nowadays I make damm sure that I've got a few spare thumb screws with me at all times

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Dropping and losing green quick change beads in the grass, helicopter rigs and other little green hobbies I can understand ( just as well as I lose loads) but how do you lose a set of stainless steel forceps! I despair at the rate of attrition of pieces of tackle. In the last week I have lost several hooks, beads, baiting needles and today a set of forceps.

Is it just me?
    Mike, I suppose someones gott'a say it...it's old age m8 .

Get a disgorger to replace the forceps, they're far better for unhooking fish....really ......

....not pike of course lol.
    Last edited by tigger; 02-04-2017 at 18:01.

Never lose anything but I'm sure someone nicks my floats when I'm not looking
    “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Mike, I suppose someones gott'a say it...it's old age m8 .

Get a disgorger to replace the forceps, they're far better for unhooking fish....really ......

....not pike of course lol.
    I know Ian I really know! I have all types of disgorgers but genuinely find forceps easier! I wish I was 12 again( but knowing what I do now

With fingers becoming a bit arthritic a pair of forceps are a must and the thought of losing them wouldn't bode well for a days fishing.

The answer is to buy a stupidly expensive pair that I'd dare not lose. This is a magnificent pair with gold handles (has Binka got a pair) I think they may have come from Cartier or maybe Garrards of Bond Street.

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post
    Forceps are my Achilles heel Mike, I reckon I'm going to go for a bulk discount and buy an outer.

I thought I had lost them again yesterday and twice risked the disgorger on a pike before realising, as I was taking off my waistcoat at the end of the day, that they had swung inside the arm hole when first putting it on and they had been there, on the inside, all day

Losing stuff is otherwise not a problem, I tend to break everything well before it has a chance of getting lost
    Hardy do a nice brass-fronted zinger* - it's hard to lose your forceps when they're hanging on your coat! I draw the line at fastening scissors to them, though, having found out the hard way by impaling myself on some Nash braid blades when I bent over.

* The newest ones are stainless so you'll just have to slum it.
    Last edited by robtherake; 02-04-2017 at 19:32.
    "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post

Hence no trademark forceps in the background of the trophy shots. ?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast