Whats your favorite fish ?

shane99

Reaction score
Perch for me, I love the dirty look they give you

But to catch a lovely true crucian would be very nice

Tench - they just feel nice

King Carp - I had a beautiful 6lb Carp on float fished prawn a while ago, I still think about this fish today, must be going 8lb by now

bracket

Reaction score
I think, over the years, I have caught almost every coarse fish that swims. In the last six years I have taken a raft of grayling, and what a delightful fish they are. However I must stay true to my match fishing roots. The main stay of any match angler in the BC (before carp) era, be it river or stillwater, was bream, ideally skimmer bream. Easy to catch, if you set the stall out right, they give you no hassle and come in big shoals. Do it right and you can pick them off from the shoal one after the other with the chance of a few "biggies" finding their way into the net. Either on the float or tip they will oblige. So for me it has to be bream. They have been a good friend to me in the past and long may it continue. Pete.

maurice walsh

Reaction score
Flightliner: well said.

Terry m: quote "roach are fine when they are inside the pike"!!! That's outrageous, how can anyone dare say such a thing, it's treason, ungodly, unthinkable, unEnglish, ununderstandable, unanswerable, un ..... I can't think of anymore words that start with un ..... Let the pike eat bream, cormorants, signal crayfish, otters, mink, canoeists, horse riders, boaters, ramblers, cyclists, politicians, golfers ...... er sorry, I got a bit carried away then.

first off to stay on tread, pike for me!!! the variaton of methods to catch them, the sizes they reach, the ugliness that is an apex preditor is beauty in its self, whats not to like!!! i have to agree with terry:D the silvers have all but taken over the lower shannon, pushing the perch and bream out for a number of yrs, little feckers:D, BUT .... the upside is the perch are back in numbers n size is improving, and the pike have grown fat on the roach, also we now have roach/bream hybrids in the system:) i have to agree with your "carried away" list though:D

Keith M

Reaction score
Isaac Waltons recipe for pike includes stuffing it with pickled oysters, anchovies, oranges and garlic, then basting it with claret and butter. Yum! Lol.

Keith

Philip

Reaction score
Isaac Waltons recipe for pike includes stuffing it with pickled oysters, anchovies, oranges and garlic, then basting it with claret and butter. Yum! Lol.

Keith

With the intention of masking any possibility of actually tasting the Pike which is good news because imho they taste bloody awful ! ;):D

...Zander however...:thumbs:

maurice walsh

Reaction score
With the intention of masking any possibility of actually tasting the Pike which is good news because imho they taste bloody awful ! ;):D

...Zander however...:thumbs:

you must not have had a proper in the know cook knocking it up then:D, as imho it better/nicer/cleaner and just as tastey as fresh trout/salmon, but opinions are like unmintionable orifi ( or is it orifices), everyone's got one:wh:w

Philip

Reaction score
you must not have had a proper in the know cook knocking it up then:D, as imho it better/nicer/cleaner and just as tastey as fresh trout/salmon, but opinions are like unmintionable orifi ( or is it orifices), everyone's got one:wh:w

Your probably right Maurice, I have only had it on very few occasions (I can think of twice) and a good cook can make all the difference.

That reminded me - Rick Stein did a poached Pike on one of his programs once. Now I don’t want to argue cooking with Rick Stein but I thought attempting to poach it whole was not such a clever idea. Not so bad if he had done it with a nice round saucepan shaped flat fish…not so clever with a long torpedo shaped pike !

I had to laugh when I thought of the average bloke attempting THAT in his bedsit kitchen :D

Philip

Reaction score
For anyone interested, I just totted up the numbers & its a surprising dead heat for 1st ...Roach(obvious) ties with, with, with...wait for it !.....Pike!

Roach 5 votes
Pike 5 votes
Crucian Carp 4 votes
Tench 4 votes
Barbel 3 votes
Perch 2 votes
Rudd 2 votes
Grayling 2 votes
Chub, Dace, Bream, Mullet & cod ! ..1 vote