Whats your favorite fish ?

Philip

Reaction score
Go on then …what’s your favorite fish and why ?

Me I think its Chub. I see it as the very epitome of an anglers fish. I recon anyone who masters and enjoys Chub fishing is probably destined to be an angler for a very long time.

You can catch them in any weather, on any bait, they are big enough to pull back a bit, cunning enough to provide a challenge, adaptable enough to be found in virtually any venue and usually in swims that need a bit of watercraft to locate. They can be caught on a variety of tactics and can be bold and brazen and tear into a well-placed bait but will also spook at a misplaced footstep and last but not least look like what I consider to be a text book picture of a “fish” !

B

binka

It's the perch for me.

Many an angler's first encounter with a fish, a visual emperor and one of the most frustrating fish to consistently catch in the upper weight bracket.

A good year round feeder, a whole host of methods available to those who want to target him and often found in the most neglected and overlooked waters.

Yet...

Always with that chance of turning up anywhere and anytime, often to the unsuspecting.

I'm with Walker, it's the biggest fish of all :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like cod, reason being it tastes bloody good with chips salt and vinegar ! :D

associatedmatt

Reaction score
For me its got to be the humble Tench . The teddy bear eye and the lovley green sheen to them ..... or other will say slime :D The pull back well and do dig well .

followed close by the crucian , yet to find a venue near me with them

Keith M

Reaction score
Much as I like the barbel and large roach, my favourite fish has always been the Tench.
On a warm summers morning or on a quiet evening on a lilly strewn lake there's nothing better than seeing those clouds of pin bubbles erupting from the bottom and moving slowly towards my float, and then if I'm lucky the float lifting and sliding away, followed by the colossal fight which will test my float tackle to its limits and set my heart thumping.

Then seeing that muscle bound olive green body and tiny red eyes looking up at me on the unhooking mat. and watching it slide away afterwards, Pure magic, especially on a lovely remote estate lake Lol.

Keith

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Perfection !

not always the fish is the location ;)

cant beat misty summers mornings

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Not a difficult one this :rolleyes:

For me its gotta be the Roach, silvery flanks with the loverly blue sheen across its back and with the blood red fins and little orange eye, they look even better when in the mid depths of winter.

Dono what it is but I much prefer small river and chalk stream fishing for roach than I do for Stillwater fish,

There's just something about a big river roach,

Magestic, very elusive, secretive, often very difficult to tempt / teise ( especially bigger fish ) generally has a gentle nature compared to other fish.

There certainly not really classed as a powerful fish but have strength and power within their own right and are quite capable of showing their strength on light correctly balanced tackle,

Just a shear delight when one sees that big bar of silver roll over the rim of the net :D

Gotta luv em :thumbs:

Also luv the look of big chalk stream Dace :)

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
Roach for me too, although my list of captures is not much above 6oz. They have a tough time being the food for many predators and it is understandable why the bigger ones are so cautious and canny. A shoal of Roach is a lovely sight in my opinion but lying on my belly to watch them is not so easy these days! I have to say I much prefer the river Roach too.

mikench

Reaction score
Judging by the likes I have given on this thread I like them all. I have to restrict my preference to those fish I have actually caught and many are still on my wanted list. However if I never caught them and had to pick I too would be very happy with a roach! A beatuful fish!

peterjg

Reaction score
It has to be the roach. Decent roach are absolute swines to consistently catch, everything has to be right - bait, light value, tackle, method, water conditions and water temperature and of course location. Big roach are just so fussy and jittery, big carp are great but are so much easier than a big roach. Roach are a true shoal fish so scare one and you scare them all.

What could be nicer than finding a nice quiet spot and then laying-on for roach over a bank of reeds with a lump of flake on the hook?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No votes for carp yet(crucians aside).

Hang on a mo whilst I spod a few kilos of boilies to tempt one in.?

steve2

Reaction score
Pike, not difficult to catch, there is just something about those teeth and eyes. I fact any predator fish does it for me.
No one as yet put my least favourite fish the Carp on the list.

theartist

Reaction score
Whilst I love the variety and for me the next fish on is always my favourite no one has mentioned a fish which is an infuriating tease, finnicky, shy yet bold and one of the hardest fighters around - The Mullet. A session for Mullet in clear shallow water is the best way to kill 8 hours that doesn't involve a french maid and flying goggles!

Or as I often call them Oooh Mullet yessss! arrrrgh! flippin hell!

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
No votes for carp yet(crucians aside).

Hang on a mo whilst I spod a few kilos of boilies to tempt one in.

King carp would be my next favourite after crucians ;)

But not big fat boilie belly ones

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
For me it has to be the Pike, the fish of more myth's and legend's than any other.
It lives in all manner of water types, and has resisted persecution and all attempts to eradicate them for centuries.

trotter2

Reaction score
Something's go together like stick float and dace so it has to be the dace for me.

terry m

Reaction score
Yes, pike for me too. Absolutely no competition.

Some way behind would be the perch, and non pred would be the tench. Roach are fine when they are inside the pike!

;);)

seth49

Reaction score
Like them all really, even bream?, suppose if I had to pick one, it would be the crucian.lovely fish, always pleased to catch one.?

flightliner

Reaction score
Roach, big or small I love em all ! They're the fish I first caught as a youngster on my home made cane rod from a park pond, that was it-- I was smitten, no going back to wait a few seasons until I had caught a few more species, the love was absolute and has never wavered.
All the other reasons have been mentioned by other roach enthusiasts but to end , it's a (now) rare big river roach that would have me salivating particularly if taken on the float but if conditions said otherwise a feeder caught one would do.
Best of all scenario --- sat on a lowland river in the colder months with a gentle pace, it's low pressure, threatening rain but does'nt , the water is lined with dead rushes and I,m stret pegging a float close by that gently lifts before dissapearing, is it a biggie , hopefully but no problem if its not. The whole scenario just makes me so happy.

Last edited: