Pollution Incident on the Irwell

greenie62

Reaction score
A few years ago - nobody would have been surprised by such a Headline - but given the improvement in the fishing and wildlife on this once filthy river it is with great sadness that this has happened over this last week.

Our Chairman, Mike Duddy, has published the details todate, via this link: 25+ Mile Pollution Disaster River Irwell which gives a map of the affected area and the help that EA have provided so far.

If anyone knows of the areas or causes where the source of the pollution is indicated - could they please let us know.

Many of us in SFAS and MBRT are in shock as to the implications of such an incident and the longer term effects that there are likely to be.
Slaphead - do you know of owt about the source area?
TBO - do you know of any monitoring programs that we can contact down the lower river/MSC/Mersey confluence?

thecrow

Reaction score
That's a heart breaking thing to have happened to both the river and all those involved in the recovery of this river. I just hope that the business/individual responsible for this is found and receives a fitting punishment both financial and hopefully a penal sentence that would serve as a deterrent to others.

theartist

Reaction score
I'm loathe to add a 'like' to your post Greenie but thanks for highlighting yet another pollution incident, hope those responsible are found and punished and the river is restored with whatever funds it takes.

theartist

Reaction score
Many down south don't realise that the Irwell is Manchester's main river, could you imagine the controversy if the Thames had suffered pollution as well?

Oh hold on..

Now where's the emoticon for FFS!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
could you imagine the controversy if the Thames had suffered pollution as well?
Well, at least Thames Water definitely CANNOT be blamed for this, although some will try... :wh The pollutions caused to the Thame and Thames in 2013 didn't kill all the insect life although sewage fungus was bad enough.

This is far worse in many respects. No insects means no food, no food means no fish - eventually. It sounds like it's a farmer or chemical company getting rid of something really toxic at the moment. Just shows that some people have simply no respect for river or wildlife.

slaphead

Reaction score
Slaphead - do you know of owt about the source area?
Hi Mike

There is/was a soap factory just downstream of the first kick point, but they've been there years.

There was a pollution incident about 10 years ago where insecticide was released and killed, but that firm has moved.

Not heard about this latest incident, but I live a very sheltered life. :eek:mg:

The bad one

Reaction score
Just had a text from my nephew with a picture attached. The river been hit again with pollution today soap suds this time for several hundred yards. You don't have to be a genius to work this one out, If you know the river's history. ;)

greenie62

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up Phil - just been told of this myself. Dont know any details yet - will post update when known.

18033916_1534284783250310_2126099283617916240_n.jpg

How much more can this poor old river take? :eek::mad::eek:mg:

thecrow

Reaction score
If there was anything left after the first incident this latest one could see whatever was left off.

TBO your post is very intriguing as I don't know any of the history of this river.

The bad one

Reaction score
Crow do a search of the Irk/Irwell pollutions down the years and soap suds. The Irk is a tributary of the Irwell that runs through Middleton, Blackley entering the Irwell at Ducie Bridge just outside Victoria Railway Station City Centre.

Soap suds were also a regular feature on the R. Tame Stalybridge, Ashton -u-Lyne (same source different site and different river) back in the 70s, 80s at the bridge crossing between the two districts of Tameside on many a morning they could be 5ft deep on the bridge when I was going to work :eek:

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
Mersey basin rivers trust

Just to add to your paranoia over EA's abilities - MBRT had an apology/acknowledgement from them last week - confirming the source location of the pesticide pollution which we had found and identified almost straight away - their team didn't find it until 4 days later!:eek:

We've also found the location of the foaming agent entering the Irwell at an outflow from a Water Treatment works - and notified EA accordingly. They have attended and samples taken.

One of the problems the EA have is that their priority categorisation system is triggered by the number of dead fish showing at the site. This is always difficult to pin down in rivers :eek:mg: When the pollution has wiped out the insect life - NO dead fish showing! - NO Priority! :eek::eek:mg:
When there is a visible sign such as the foam - subsequent to the previous pollution killing all the food causing the fish to migrate - again NO dead fish showing! - NO Priority! - they've all beggered off! :doh:

Maybe there needs to be a re-think on the categorisation of priorities by the EA regarding pollution incidents. :confused:

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
All of those things go to show that it isn't paranoia on my part Mike its a fact that the EA as a whole are not fit for anglings purpose. 4 days to find a pollution cause that was identified by others straight away, people that are not paid to do it but do it because they care is a disgrace but I am afraid is typical.

I am currently waiting for an overdue answer from them to a FOI request regarding Thames Water, it seems they think the law about these doesn't apply to them as its now 4 days late, wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that its about pollution and that the EA's pension fund invest it TW would it :rolleyes:

greenie62

Reaction score
....I am currently waiting for an overdue answer from them to a FOI request regarding Thames Water, it seems they think the law about these doesn't apply to them as its now 4 days late, ......

:)Did you allow for the Bank Hols? :eek:

Noticed the other day that local councils count Bank Hols as working days if you owe them money/reply but not if they owe you!:(

The bad one

Reaction score
Dead simple if they're overdue with an answer under FOI. Write out a complaint to the Info Commissioner. Send a copy to the EA informing them the following complaint will within 24 hours be sent to the IC if you don't get a response from them.
It triggers the fan to be turned on in the compliance office before the sh!t hits it. They'll send you a grovelling apology asking for more time. It's up to you whether you give it them or not, or make the complaint to the IC.
Me being the Barsteward I am, I always send the complaint :D :D :D

Last edited: