Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pollution Incident on the Irwell

A few years ago - nobody would have been surprised by such a Headline - but given the improvement in the fishing and wildlife on this once filthy river it is with great sadness that this has happened over this last week.

Our Chairman, Mike Duddy, has published the details todate, via this link: 25+ Mile Pollution Disaster River Irwell which gives a map of the affected area and the help that EA have provided so far.

If anyone knows of the areas or causes where the source of the pollution is indicated - could they please let us know.

Many of us in SFAS and MBRT are in shock as to the implications of such an incident and the longer term effects that there are likely to be.
    Slaphead - do you know of owt about the source area?
    TBO - do you know of any monitoring programs that we can contact down the lower river/MSC/Mersey confluence?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pollution Incident on the Irwell

That's a heart breaking thing to have happened to both the river and all those involved in the recovery of this river. I just hope that the business/individual responsible for this is found and receives a fitting punishment both financial and hopefully a penal sentence that would serve as a deterrent to others.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

I'm loathe to add a 'like' to your post Greenie but thanks for highlighting yet another pollution incident, hope those responsible are found and punished and the river is restored with whatever funds it takes.

Local pitchforks are being sharpened!

Many down south don't realise that the Irwell is Manchester's main river, could you imagine the controversy if the Thames had suffered pollution as well?

Oh hold on..

Now where's the emoticon for FFS!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    could you imagine the controversy if the Thames had suffered pollution as well?
    Well, at least Thames Water definitely CANNOT be blamed for this, although some will try... The pollutions caused to the Thame and Thames in 2013 didn't kill all the insect life although sewage fungus was bad enough.

This is far worse in many respects. No insects means no food, no food means no fish - eventually. It sounds like it's a farmer or chemical company getting rid of something really toxic at the moment. Just shows that some people have simply no respect for river or wildlife.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

[QUOTE]Slaphead - do you know of owt about the source area? [QUOTE]

Hi Mike

There is/was a soap factory just downstream of the first kick point, but they've been there years.

There was a pollution incident about 10 years ago where insecticide was released and killed, but that firm has moved.

Not heard about this latest incident, but I live a very sheltered life.
    I may be old, but I ain't dead yet.

Blog Entries

Sorry Mike don't know of anybody doing any sampling on the lower river.

Blog Entries

Just had a text from my nephew with a picture attached. The river been hit again with pollution today soap suds this time for several hundred yards. You don't have to be a genius to work this one out, If you know the river's history.

Thanks for the heads-up Phil - just been told of this myself. Dont know any details yet - will post update when known.

How much more can this poor old river take?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast