Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spigot refurbishment

Is there any way to refurbishment Spigot joint on a carbon rod. I've had the rod for many years and it's my got to rod. The joint between the two pieces are very close so i need to somehow build up the male spigot's thickness. Any ideas

Blog Entries

Default Re: Spigot refurbishment

Has the male part got a slight taper on it? if it has cutting a small piece off it will cure the problem.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Carbon/graphite spray.

Layer it on slowly and evenly.

Maver do one for pole joints but its the same thing.

Slowly layer it up and evenly!

Quote Originally Posted by iain t View Post
    Is there any way to refurbishment Spigot joint on a carbon rod. I've had the rod for many years and it's my got to rod. The joint between the two pieces are very close so i need to somehow build up the male spigot's thickness. Any ideas
    I've used a candle, just rubbed it up and down on the spigot leaving wax behind. I do this on new rods also just to stop wear in the first place. It does work well...or it has for me .

I know you can buy some purpose made spray called build up but i've never used it so can't comment on it.

Use wax once youve got the spigot built back up with the spray.

The carbon spray is one option. Spraying stuff onto a narrow surface, though, can mean 10% on the target and the rest on the newspaper underneath. This Preston Joint Save is a brush-on product so no waste, and it's been on the market and keeping pole and rod joints from wearing for decades. A few coats will build the spigot up, and you can check the fit between coats.

preston innovations joint save | eBay

Thanks, lads. The male spigot is not tapered. I've tried using candle wax but this just makes joints easier to pull apart. I think my next step it to try the Carbon spray. By just having a quick look around the web it seems a lot of people use it with good feedback. To be honest never knew this spray existed before.

I reckon varnish would be ok, easy to rub down if you overdo it a little.

On a website, they mention using super glue the rub down. Ordered a can of Carbon spray now. Cheapest i found was £8.99 inc post. If it works it will save me sending it to a rod builder

Blog Entries

Don't forget to clean the spigot off with a solvent to get rid of any wax that may be left on it before you put the joint build on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast