Are overnight sessions worth it ?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Last time I night fished was on a gravel pit in Chertsey, very noisy, the M25 was being constructed less than a mile away. I clearly remember debating with my fellow over nighters the futility of building such a road that no one would use.:eek:mg:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
For £7.20 you can get a mosquito head mesh from Go Outdoors. It fits over your bonce and has draw strings to keep the perishers out.

It stops that feeling in the dark " is that one having a go at me".

I use one where the horse flies have got to epic numbers and could make life a misery.

Hummmm Horse flies ruddy nightmare got chomped by opne some years ago it went bad ways caused the cancellation of a trip to dads village in Maecodonia was not appy .

PG ...

robtherake

Reaction score
For £7.20 you can get a mosquito head mesh from Go Outdoors. It fits over your bonce and has draw strings to keep the perishers out.

It stops that feeling in the dark " is that one having a go at me".

I use one where the horse flies have got to epic numbers and could make life a misery.

Got one from the boot sale years ago and it travels everywhere with me. The only trouble is that I've yet to remember it's there.:eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
No I have not , who is he ???

Mike never takes you long to go off topic

Most people seem to think tinca time best just before 1st light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

I will be under a brolly so will have to wrap up warm . When you say plenty of groundbait how much do you mean ?

Been told they love groundbait and pellets , so could try spodding with a mini spod every hour or so , and then fish one on a method feeder and other feeder with maggots and the normal tench baits

There is no answer to that Matt!!:rolleyes: have a listen to Acker Bilk! Nights are not for fishin!!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Cheers all . A lot of the tench waters near me are dawn till dusk but found s cracking venue in middle of nowhere other lakes but are specimen carp lakes and are more to join . Only sound would be from Fairford runway but don't fly in too often as used to .

Il take the advice and sleep during the night .

Thanks

shane99

Reaction score
My experience is that the fishing is best a few hours either side of dusk and dawn to be honest.

My night sessions therefore consist of arriving about mid afternoon and getting set up and feeding, then fishing until an hour or two after dark.

I then bring the rods in and get a few hours sleep and restart feeding and fishing a couple of hours before dawn.

This is just my way an I'm sure others will have different views.

Hope it helps . . . . .

Same here PJ/Binka, by being there overnight you really are there at the best times with not a minute lost travelling/setting up/feeding/finding swim etc etc.

After saying that I will always remember once doing an overnighter, I raked a swim in the evening, fed, set my alarm for 3.30am with thoughts/plans to have a misty dawn catching fine Tench on the float. The blighters didnt turn up until 1pm the next day but when they did it was like fishing in a barrel, I could have caught them with a landing net ! - will never forget that. Turned everything I thought I knew at the time on its head.

steve2

Reaction score
Just remember that spring and summer nights can get very cold. I remember one summer session where we had drop of over 20 degrees. Not much fun if are just wearing lightweight clothes.

I can't actually remember when I did any good fishing through the night apart from when fishing for eels.

flightliner

Reaction score
Just go for it Matt, it's a great experience. Just take note of whats been said by others on here. Tench or not just waking up to a new summer dawn by a lake, river or pit is a magical experience made even better if another angler nearby is cooking bacon n eggs who casually walks over and shares it with you over a cup of tea-- angling bliss !.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
This lake has only 16 swims I was told but a couple acres in size , so I could be down on my tod .... Spooky

B

binka

I could be down on my tod .... Spooky

That's by far the best way Matt.

At least when you hear a nearby blood curdling scream you know you really are in trouble and it's not just the bloke three swims down who's sat on his baiting needle :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Matt, it is worth remembering that even in the warmer months it can get damned cold at night, so make sure you have a decent sleeping bag.

My guidelines are as follows:

There are no prizes for being the coldest, most hungry or thirsty or uncomfortable angler on the banks at night time.

;)

flightliner

Reaction score
This lake has only 16 swims I was told but a couple acres in size , so I could be down on my tod .... Spooky

Ha ha ha, thats why I,m trying to sound so encouraging Matt, I'd like you to experience some of scary bone chilling stuff that I did :eek::eek::eek: !!

rayner

Reaction score

Don't do it Matt, stay home and get up early. Sleeping under an umbrella would be ridiculous.
The less people around the more chance of spooks, when you sit there alone they will come.
Ooooooo :eek:

B

binka

Of all the things that go screech in the night I've yet to encounter anything more blood curdling than the sound of a rabbit getting nobbled by something!

How on earth something so small and fluffy can make a noise like that I really don't know :confused:

robtherake

Reaction score
It's a bit daunting at first - every creak, squeak and rustle will have you on the end of the chair - but once you've got used to just how loudly the night creatures go about their business it's a grand experience. Remember some spare torch batteries and keep your bait containers lidded or the slugs and snails will get what the mice leave behind.:D

It's worth keeping a change of socks and boots in the car - wet feet are no fun in the cold of the night and you're more likely to get a bootful in the dark.

rayner

Reaction score
It's a bit daunting at first - every creak, squeak and rustle will have you on the end of the chair - but once you've got used to just how loudly the night creatures go about their business it's a grand experience. Remember some spare torch batteries and keep your bait containers lidded or the slugs and snails will get what the mice leave behind.:D

It's worth keeping a change of socks and boots in the car - wet feet are no fun in the cold of the night and you're more likely to get a bootful in the dark.

Never mind socks make sure you have plenty of knickers.
If the ghosts don't get you you will deffo be abducted by the greys and with clean drawers you'll at least be comfortable whilst they mess with your bits.

peterjg

Reaction score
Just got back from an overnighter fishing for roach. Go for it Matt, it is great fun, a different world. I started night fishing in the 1970s and have done well over 1000 nights carp fishing. You need to be warm and comfortable, the problem being that you need just as much stuff for one night as you do for seven.

Take some fly repellent (as already said), a good one is 50 percent Deet don't buy 100 percent because it is too strong. A decent head torch and warm clothes are a must. The thing I hate most are mice, they can drive you nuts overnight and cannot be scared away, they will eat through bivvies and bait buckets!

The nights are not too long now but winter nights with 16 hours of darkness can be a bit tedious. Try to position everything before it is dark because then you don't have to have the torch on too much when looking for something. Take plenty of grub.

Sometimes in the dark, even if you look up at the rod tip, it can be difficult to determine where and how far out the fish is when you are playing it, take your time and keep the line tightish. When it is really pitch dark it is sometimes difficult to know for sure if the fish is actually in your landing net!! Carp will feed at any time at night (even in heavy rain), tench best after midnight to a couple of hours after dawn, roach to me are a complete mystery?!

Good luck.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Of all the things that go screech in the night I've yet to encounter anything more blood curdling than the sound of a rabbit getting nobbled by something!

How on earth something so small and fluffy can make a noise like that I really don't know :confused:

I suspect it might be quite a lot to do with the very fact that its being nobbled. You'd squawk a bit too if a fox had you by the throat or the George McCalls.