Are overnight sessions worth it ?

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else is a 'Wild life magnet' when they do over nighters?

On one trip I was awoken at 4am with 2 ducks shagging in my Korum day shelter... they were not exactly quiet about it.

Another trip I woke up and had a fox asleep at my feet.

Last edited:

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Please forgive me, is it Ray? from the fish-ins? not sure if I got the wrong name...

I have not been fishing since May 2015, I have spent almost the last 2 years as a mature student and this has taken up all of my spare time, however, my 2nd year only has 10 weeks left to run and I am then done.

I have promised myself I will be back breaming in May, I am all ready to go, but I really do have a couple of assignments I need to finish first.

Apologies again.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Get the coursework out of the way , wade into the bream , then keep us up to speed with the bream Paul.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I feel some are trying to scare me by what you hear in the night , camped for many years but not done for around 6 years now . Think my umbrella going to be ramed with kit ! Car park is a 10 minuite walk so I can leave stuff in car but only as a last resort to walk back . Think buckets are going to be in order to store stuff in and take something hard and waterproof for food and clothes etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:52 ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 ----------

Would a Tilley light light all night put off any animals ?

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Yes Jerry that's it, sorry, just had a name blank for a moment... I remember all of our chats just like they were yesterday :)

ken more

Reaction score
For £7.20 you can get a mosquito head mesh from Go Outdoors. It fits over your bonce and has draw strings to keep the perishers out.

It stops that feeling in the dark " is that one having a go at me".

I use one where the horse flies have got to epic numbers and could make life a misery.

May do the job if you are like me on holiday or anywhere where they buzz about, lying in bed all quiet, dark and drifting off to sleep. You here it, zzzzziitt, and i start slapping myself about the face, ears, head or anywhere else i think the little F@ckers might fancy a go at:D:D For such a small thing they cause me a great big deal of worry:D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
A Tiley night light might put off the animals, but it will help attract every insect known to man, although probably more so in high summer.
Some of the moths flying around the light can cast a pretty big shadow and the mozzies will love you forever!!

All part of the fun which can only be bettered once you hook a decent fish in pitch black......

Personally I loved fishing at night around the longest day period so mid June to mid July always good to be out...........

shane99

Reaction score
Just remember that spring and summer nights can get very cold. I remember one summer session where we had drop of over 20 degrees. Not much fun if are just wearing lightweight clothes.

I can't actually remember when I did any good fishing through the night apart from when fishing for eels.

How have you got on fishing for eels steve2 ?

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 ----------

Of all the things that go screech in the night I've yet to encounter anything more blood curdling than the sound of a rabbit getting nobbled by something!

How on earth something so small and fluffy can make a noise like that I really don't know :confused:

Its probably the Foxes mum 'shopping' binka

robtherake

Reaction score
May do the job if you are like me on holiday or anywhere where they buzz about, lying in bed all quiet, dark and drifting off to sleep. You here it, zzzzziitt, and i start slapping myself about the face, ears, head or anywhere else i think the little F@ckers might fancy a go at:D:D For such a small thing they cause me a great big deal of worry:D

I read somewhere that it's only the females that bite - the males sip nectar, like good little insects. That high-pitched whine is a bloodsucking female, every time.:D

Philip

Reaction score
Matt, I would consider night fishing for the experience aspect rather than the fishing results aspect. Think of it like camping with rods. Some people enjoy it, others less so.

My guidelines are as follows: There are no prizes for being the coldest, most hungry or thirsty or uncomfortable angler on the banks at night time.

Shame, as I would win every time! I’ ve spent some horrendous nights out I can tell thee !

Worst is a toss up between the night I spent as a kid “sleeping” (& I use the term “sleeping” in its loosest sense) on a bare stone bank with no umbrella, bivvy, bedchair, warm clothing or provisons of any kind other than a cheese sandwich & attempting to roll myself into a flimsy dustbin liner to keep dry when the heavens opened.

Or the time I spent a lovely night hanging onto the ribs of my umbrella for the entire night to stop it taking off in what appeared to be the mother of all storms and then discovered in the morning my bedchair was actually touching water which had flooded in and risen up to the top of the bedchair legs.

Tough choice ! …Oooo wait, I almost forget the February night I spent in sub zero temperatures under an open Umbrella when everything including my sleeping bag became stiff & sparkling white with ice & frost. Not a comfortable night.... did look pretty however….

flightliner

Reaction score
When I was doing nights on a regular basis it was usually on a Notts pit with heavy traffic not to far away heading up and down the A1.
No big problem dropping of to sleep but when all the traffic had died down in the wee small hours a single car could be heard miles away on a still night, like a massive mossi coming and going it was nigh impossible to get back to sleep.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A Tilley lamp ? Are you fishing or camping ?

I used to do a lot of night fishing but i was fishing not sleeping and i didn't feel any need to have anything like a TL with me. As you probably noticed i do not like indiscriminate use of bright lights at night.....IMO they are intrusive and unnecessary. I can see no justification for having any sort of light on permanently at night yet i see it all the time. It drives me nuts !

steve2

Reaction score
How have you got on fishing for eels steve2 ?

Haven't fished for them for a few years now. The waters I fished were restocked with large numbers of carp and I ended up catching far more carp on deadbaits than eels. Best eels I caught were just under 6lbs these were from a small shallow farm lake in Hampshire.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
A Tiley night light might put off the animals, but it will help attract every insect known to man, although probably more so in high summer.
Some of the moths flying around the light can cast a pretty big shadow and the mozzies will love you forever!!

All part of the fun which can only be bettered once you hook a decent fish in pitch black......

Personally I loved fishing at night around the longest day period so mid June to mid July always good to be out...........

The lamp wouldnt be under brolly but outside on the floor

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:20 ----------

A Tilley lamp ? Are you fishing or camping ?

I used to do a lot of night fishing but i was fishing not sleeping and i didn't feel any need to have anything like a TL with me. As you probably noticed i do not like indiscriminate use of bright lights at night.....IMO they are intrusive and unnecessary. I can see no justification for having any sort of light on permanently at night yet i see it all the time. It drives me nuts !

Release the pressure a tad to a warm glow rather than a LED light that would guide planes in and the lake is right near Fairford airbase so dont want the planes coming in :wh

buick_toni

Reaction score
I like night fishing a lot. Usually the catch ain't that good, but it's peaceful and relaxing with no people around. And quite a bit nicer than in hot summer days.

Most of the time I go rowing for the night, maybe catch a few zanders. The pike are mostly sleeping then. Also have gone to forest lakes multiple times at night. Just try not think about bears and other beasts. The sounds of nature get to another level at night :)

Best memory this far was a night at a rainbow trout lake last summer. I did not get any fish but enjoyed the night in the forest very much! Only there were a couple of other young fishermen but it was a bit calming as there had been bears in the area. Although they slept almost the whole night with only one of them awake in turns to watch their rods.

Catch might not be the best, but as an experience, it's very much different from the day time fishing. At least for me, I'm kind of nocturnal person anyways.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Good job we don't have bears over wild in the country