Are overnight sessions worth it ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Never done overnight sessions before and a friend is asking me to join him . It's after tench mainly , it's a small gravel pit and I know dawn and dusk good tench times normally . But is it worth trying it if they don't feed much at night .

Lake has , small Carp ,Tench , Rudd , Perch and Roach in .

I don't have a Bivvy or brolly shelter thing just a big brolly but you can use bank sticks on sides and rest at a angle and remove centre pole .

Thanks

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My experience is that the fishing is best a few hours either side of dusk and dawn to be honest.

My night sessions therefore consist of arriving about mid afternoon and getting set up and feeding, then fishing until an hour or two after dark.

I then bring the rods in and get a few hours sleep and restart feeding and fishing a couple of hours before dawn.

This is just my way an I'm sure others will have different views.

Hope it helps . . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've bivvied up for several days in the past but you could count those sessions on one hand, i'm not to keen on jumping up to the obnoxious racket of a alarm.
My normal overnight-er would be to fish it as normal sat in a chair using a night light attached to my float, bobbin or whatever if legering. Regarding fish feeding, it's hit and miss really and usually sporadic activity with various lengths of nothingness in between.
On most of the waters i've ever fished (there is one that only fishes any good from dusk till dawn) the tench fishing has always been best during the daytime.
For the majority of waters I think Peters post sounds spot on really.

theartist

Reaction score
Go for it Matt you won't catch anything staying at home on the pc tallking to us lot that's for sure.

B

binka

Very much the same as has been mentioned already really.

I've sat behind alarms but I too prefer to stay up and watch a starlight but it can wreck me the following day for tiredness and so we now stick to a format similar to Peter's after finding that it's generally very quiet during the dead of night anyway.

A few hours around dusk and into nightfall and then it's rods in for a bit of a kip before getting up for the pre-dawn raid.

Perfect really as you're not drained the following day and everything's there and ready to just start fishing in the morning, having had the best of the previous evening too :)

rayner

Reaction score
Shove that if I can't catch in the day there's no way I will risk being haunted.
If you fish at night the bogey man will get you. If he doesn't the ghosts will.

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
Used to do night fishing a lot in the 90's. Found it was more sleep fishing in a bivvy( more like camping )then came to my senses early start at around dawn for a few hours and/or the evening from just before dusk to around 11ish. Still, find i catch the same amount but i sleep in a warm bed now.
Now and then i jump out of bed because ive dreamt that ive heard the buzzer going off.

terry m

Reaction score
The Artist's advice is good. If you don't try it you will not know.

Spend some time planning ahead, and if it is your first time make sure you arrive early enough to familiarise yourself with the swim and your surroundings.

I enjoy night fishing, generally a couple of nights at a time, but I am a solitary soul, somewhere quiet, out of the way.

Good luck.

barbelboi

Reaction score
On most of the waters i've ever fished (there is one that only fishes any good from dusk till dawn) the tench fishing has always been best during the daytime.

The same with the gravel pits and estate lakes I've fished Ian..............

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks everyone , only thing it would be roughing it due to no bivvy . Under a brolly , have got a bed chair though , off a mate for £20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I'm planning an overnighter to go for the Tench on a nearby lake.

But I intend to fish through the night. I'll try and kip through the day at home and arrive at about 4 or 5 pm, get set up (and clipped up) and start feeding up some swims.

I expect we'll fish until the bites dry up and then just enjoy the banter etc until the fish get on the munch again.

I have no idea if this is likely to be a good approach but I'll try anything once (with the usual exceptions of course!!)

robtherake

Reaction score
I've never done well with tench at night - the dark hours were mainly spent fending off hummingbird-sized mosquitoes.:eek: That's not to say they don't occasionally feed all night, and at times I've caught at intervals right the way through, but the bulk of the catch was always at dawn and dusk.

ken more

Reaction score
My experience is that the fishing is best a few hours either side of dusk and dawn to be honest.

My night sessions therefore consist of arriving about mid afternoon and getting set up and feeding, then fishing until an hour or two after dark.

I then bring the rods in and get a few hours sleep and restart feeding and fishing a couple of hours before dawn.

This is just my way an I'm sure others will have different views.

Hope it helps . . . . .

I'm not sure about the fishing being better either side of Dawn and Dusk as i have caught plenty of fish during the day, but i will say that this is certainly my favourite time. The mist rising off of the water very early doors is, in my opinion, magical.:) Give it a go and if you don't like it don't do it again, but you will never know for sure if it's for you until you try it:D

Good luck anyway

mikench

Reaction score
I won't make the obvious silly comments as I should know better:)

I cannot catch tench except by accident and need all my senses ,particularly my eyesight, so night fishing has no appeal!

Just listening to the radio playing Strangers on the shore by Ackerman Bilk! Brill tune. I have a good joke featuring Acker Bilk! I bet Matt has never heard of him:)

ken more

Reaction score
I won't make the obvious silly comments as I should know better:)

I cannot catch tench except by accident and need all my senses ,particularly my eyesight, so night fishing has no appeal!

Just listening to the radio playing Strangers on the shore by Ackerman Bilk! Brill tune. I have a good joke featuring Acker Bilk! I bet Matt has never heard of him:)

Met him once years ago and he had this gorgeous young lady with him;) Apologies for the aside, but i was a little jealous:eek::D:D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on you. I have done plenty of long session fishing over the years. However, in the past couple of years, I've barely bothered. I invariably get bitten to death by insectoid pterodactyls. Being an allergy sufferer means that insect bites can end up rather nasty for me. Despite investing in the better type of flat bedchair, I usually end up crippled in fairly short order. I also find the setting up and packing away to be a bit of an ordeal. The actual fishing bit is great and I actually pretty good at making myself comfortable on the bank, whatever the weather.

Though I've enjoyed myself immensely doing nights, I now love the thought of doing nights far more than the realities. Sleeping in a proper bed is rather high on my list of life priorities these days.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of night fishing, but to be honest I would go with many of the above opinions and sleep through the dark hours. I have caught during the night but dawn/dusk with mornings up to about 10am usually the best, particularly for tench. IMO they seem to like moving in on a bed of groundbait put in sometime earlier....

I'm sure you are aware, but make sure you dress warmly (even in high summer) and have plenty of hot drink available for the early morns. Nights can get very, chilly, particularly between midnight and 4am - I speak from experience!!

Good luck and enjoy the experience!!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
No I have not , who is he ???

Mike never takes you long to go off topic

Most people seem to think tinca time best just before 1st light

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

I will be under a brolly so will have to wrap up warm . When you say plenty of groundbait how much do you mean ?

Been told they love groundbait and pellets , so could try spodding with a mini spod every hour or so , and then fish one on a method feeder and other feeder with maggots and the normal tench baits

john step

Reaction score
For £7.20 you can get a mosquito head mesh from Go Outdoors. It fits over your bonce and has draw strings to keep the perishers out.

It stops that feeling in the dark " is that one having a go at me".

I use one where the horse flies have got to epic numbers and could make life a misery.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Horse flies ! Been bitten by them a few times and crikey like you been bitten by a horse !

I do find my Tilley paraffin lamps attract them !