A bit of 80's angling gold...

B

binka

From the days when we often stood to fish even on stillwaters.

I've watched the first episode so far with Ivan Marks drawing a blank and check out Dave Brogden's prototype pole roller fashioned from two sturdy branches and a rod tube.

Loads of fondly remembered old names here and even 'Big Frank' Barlow puts in an appearance later on.

Considering these programmes were made well over thirty years ago I reckon they were really well put together...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lp4oE5SSJ4

terry m

Reaction score
I don't remember this first time around.

Good job Jack Charlton stuck with soccer, TV presenting is not his forte!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I had forgotten this series - but remember the distinctive music that was Steve Hackett (ex Genesis) i think?. Nice to see Ken Collings do well. I was a regular in his shop around this time.

All the chain smoking would be deemed unfit for broadcast by BBC these days.

bracket

Reaction score
Thanks for that binka. I remember the series and great to see it again. Nice to see my old mucker Frank Barlow telling it straight, in good old Nottingham lingo. Pete.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Now you come to mention it, I don't think I ever sat down to fish - at least not on a chair!

Even at matches I stood up, particularly if long trotting the Thames.....No idea when I bought my first chair as the Efgeeco box was used, although not great on sloping ground!

B

binka

Plenty of fags hanging out of mouths :D wouldn't be allowed on telly now.

Up until quitting relatively recently it was one of my bug bares that people had lost the art of smoking properly, namely with the fag hanging down at forty five degrees and positioned neatly in the corner of the mouth.

Andy Capp would cough into his pint with all the elegant habits of today :D

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
No one watch Dot Cotton on East Enders.

Shes a proper smoker.......now I've done it:eek:

mikench

Reaction score
Was Andy Capp an angler? When I was 14 and fished and smoked , 10 no 6 were an integral part of my tackle often to the detriment of a sufficient quantity of maggots. Them were days!

I gave up fags 35 years ago but could image vaping on the bank:rolleyes:

bracket

Reaction score
Was Andy Capp an angler? When I was 14 and fished and smoked , 10 no 6 were an integral part of my tackle often to the detriment of a sufficient quantity of maggots. Them were days!

I gave up fags 35 years ago but could image vaping on the bank

Andy Capp certainly was an angler and also a snooker player. Back in those days smoking was widespread and totally acceptable, in fact almost mandatory. I well recall fishing the Saturday open river matches at Trent Lock, Long Eaton and making a draw in the riverside cafe, through a velvet fog. I have never smoked (except in bed) but can appreciate it is a hard habit to break. Pete

mikench

Reaction score
Andy Capp certainly was an angler and also a snooker player. Back in those days smoking was widespread and totally acceptable, in fact almost mandatory. I well recall fishing the Saturday open river matches at Trent Lock, Long Eaton and making a draw in the riverside cafe, through a velvet fog. I have never smoked (except in bed) but can appreciate it is a hard habit to break. Pete

I have never looked:rolleyes: