Choice of line breaking strain ?

noddy_88e

Reaction score
Hi all,
Upon deciding to use Pro Gold as my mainline after asking on here, I am now wondering which breaking strains I really need?
For example I have 1.75lb rods and am assuming line ratings of between 8 and 10lb maybe 12 at a push, however is it really worth stocking 8lb and 10lb ?

My thinking is that to use a 6lb/8lb hooklength that I would need to use 8lb mainline to balance my tackle.
Or could I use those hook lengths with 10lb line? Do I really need to drop my hook lengths down that low?
The only benefit I can think of is being able to use smaller hooks with finer hooklengths.
I will be fishing for barbel tench and smaller carp, with small method feeders , maggot feeders and alike.
I guess I'm trying to keep things simple and not have too many spools of line and hook length materials lying around!

Thanks
Noddy

rich4930

Reaction score
My advice is don't get too hung up on BS. Presentation is most important and modern day lines are fine enough not too make any difference if you use 8 or 10lb. Obviously you wouldn't tie a size 20 onto 10lb, of course there are practical limitations, all I'm saying is that at the end of the day your actual choice won't make a huge difference, certainly not for tench. I can't speak for barbel but can't imagine it's much different.

For the record, I use 8lb to 7lb link for my tench fishing, sometimes 6lb straight through for float in spring, but I bet I could easily get away with just 8lb. Oh and that's with a 1.25lb rod.

Also remember that it's the diameter that is ultimately going to affect your presentation. A cheap 8lb line could be as fat as a good quality 10lb.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
I regularly use a 12lb line with 1.6lb test rods, which is the lightest line spooled onto my main big fish reels. TBH, as a clumsy git I like the extra margin for error that the heavier line provides.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Personally I'd go even lighter, 6lb mainline to 4lb Hooklink would be my choice.
Try tying that then tie it to a tree and try to break it...If you use the drag on your reel properly you should be able to land anything, not forgetting your rod will also soak up some of the strain too.

Keith M

Reaction score
In spring to mid summer I rarely use anything heavier than 6lb on my 1.5lb and my 1.7lb barbel rods and only step up to 8lb line in the autumn when the barbel are trying to put on weight to see them through the colder months ahead.
I do keep a couple of spools loaded with 10lb line but I rarely get to use it on the small streams and rivers that I fish.

For Tench I will usually stick to lines from 4lb to 6lb and I've caught several Carp accidentally up to just over 21lb over the seasons using my Barbel and specimen rods when after Tench (see the Carp in the pic)

TykesLake_21_4ozCarp_130609600x450.jpg

A carp accidentally caught while after Tench

I suppose it depends on how snaggy the waters that you fish are to a great degree and how confident you are in the tackle and the setup you are using at the time.

Keith

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
A lot depends on the waters fished.

Rocky? Snaggy?

Generally 6lb line on clear water will land any fish. Especially tench and carp on stillwaters unless the carp are average 20+ then I would move up to 10lb.

Snaggy, don't risk it. 10-12lb on 1.75 rods.

Rocky, like the Wye or Yorkshire spate rivers I would go to 10 or even 12lb. Pro gold is quite high diameter as is the Gardner GT80 I use on the Wye. Adrenaline is another option and has multi shading so consider when low clear conditions

Personally for barbel I link this to Powerpro hooklinks so no problem re hair rigging or presentation.

Last edited:

noddy_88e

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies ,

The waters I am intending on fishing can become quite weedy and do have big carp in them , although I think they are all quite hard to catch including the tench! The last thing I want to do is get a bite and lose it because my tackle is too light.
Is 10lb mainline to a 6lb braid hook length too much of a jump to be balanced?
Just thinking if I try to keep hooks and hook links lighter I might get more bites!

Thanks
Noddy

chrissh

Reaction score
Personally I'd go even lighter, 6lb mainline to 4lb Hooklink would be my choice.
Try tying that then tie it to a tree and try to break it...If you use the drag on your reel properly you should be able to land anything, not forgetting your rod will also soak up some of the strain too.

I have to agree with the 6lb & 4lb which is my choice...and the setting of the clutch is important part

noddy_88e

Reaction score
Would you use that on a 1.75lb rod? I will try as you suggested , everything I've read seems to promote heavy mono in 10lb plus with braid hook lengths similarly rated.

Thanks
Noddy

robtherake

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies ,

The waters I am intending on fishing can become quite weedy and do have big carp in them , although I think they are all quite hard to catch including the tench! The last thing I want to do is get a bite and lose it because my tackle is too light.
Is 10lb mainline to a 6lb braid hook length too much of a jump to be balanced?
Just thinking if I try to keep hooks and hook links lighter I might get more bites!

Thanks
Noddy

A braid of 8 or even 10lb isn't much of a jump in terms of either suppleness or thickness from the 6lb you've stated, and if the weed growth's heavy you may well need it. Suck it and see.

iain t

Reaction score
The rivers i fish can get very weedy in the summer. If the river is clear i will use a main line of 6lb with a 5 or 4lb hook link. When it is weedy i step up to 8lb with a 6lb hook length. The lines above i use on my 1.25 and 1.5 Avon rods which i use for Barbel, Chub and Tench. I also use the same for Stillwater Carp in the closed season. As someone has already said it not about the line strength but having your drag set right or as i do is back wind. LB in a line is only a basic gauge, the thickness is more importance. I only use 2 types of line one is Sensor and the other is Maxima. Both have a nice bit of stretch for the lunges that Barbel make.