Another Which One Thread

thecrow

Reaction score
I am looking for a 15 to 17 ft float rod preferably used in the region of £65/70, the used bit is because of price although new would be great but at that price ?

I have no idea what to look out for or indeed where to look except E Bay and suggestions would be helpful or has any member got a rod of this length for sale. recommendations anyone?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Be wary Crow, there's more than the odd rod of this type that are a bit of a handful, especially the cheaper models and at the longer length. The couple of rods I own in this configuration are unlikely to be for sale in the near future.

There's a Shimano Super Ultegra 15-17 on ebay at the moment with just over a day to run. I have one, and whilst it's not the best rod I own, it's useable. I have used it on the river at 15 and 17', but, for me, the action means it's a little better suited to stillwater waggler work. At 17' it's probably better fished from rests too, but that's the same for many rods of 17' or more. There's a reasonable chance that it'll sell around your budget price or less.

Shimano 'SUPER ULTEGRA' 15'-17' Match Multi Float rod SULTM1517MFL - Never used | eBay

thecrow

Reaction score
Thanks Chris I am watching that at the moment but not knowing anything at all about this type of rod I probably would not have bid on it, I might just have a go now.

Its for still water that I want it and as always when fishing stills the rod would be in rests.

nottskev

Reaction score
Another good one is the Preston Carbonactive 15/17. I've had one since around 2002 and I wouldn't be without it. 15' is great for trotting; 17' a bit less nimble but really good for fishing to close-in features. Both have really good fish-playing actions. They crop up on ebay now and then.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I found these on Glasgow Angling for £49-99, Stillwater Pro Matchstix Rods anyone heard of them?

Stillwater is a Glasgow Angling/Chapmans Angling brand. I couldn't comment on the rod concerned as I've never heard of them, let alone seen one. In theory, it should be reasonable value, at least.

Do you really need it to be a 15/17' rod, or could you get away with a fixed length 16'er?

Reaction score
What sort of fishing are you looking to do with the rod? Fine stick float & small hook? Big chub / barbel? Stillwater silvers, tench or commercial carp?

thecrow

Reaction score
What sort of fishing are you looking to do with the rod? Fine stick float & small hook? Big chub / barbel? Stillwater silvers, tench or commercial carp?

None of the above :) I need it to do a specific job on a still water near to where I live, the rod needs to have some backbone when needed while at the same time be gentle enough in the top to not pull hooks at close range.

thecrow

Reaction score
This is something else I have found on E Bay again I know nothing about it and looking for any info on it

Maver Abyss X 14ft Euro NEW 2016 Float Rod

trotter2

Reaction score
How big are your fish crow and what are you targeting mate.
Most of the 17 ft rods are horrendous mate I draw a line at 15 ft

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is something else I have found on E Bay again I know nothing about it and looking for any info on it

Maver Abyss X 14ft Euro NEW 2016 Float Rod

Yeah but it's not 15 to 17ft though ?

If your after a 15 or 16 footer at a reasonable price then these would be one of the best options that I know of....

This seller has 16 footers as well as the13 footers

Superb rare Shakespeare Mach 3 XT 13ft 6in Power Match , 15ft , 16ft Match Rods | eBay

SHAKESPEARE MACH 3 XT 16FT MATCH FISHING ROD - EXCELLENT CONDITION

A friend of mine has the 15ft version (i've never seen the 16 footer) and I had a go with it while we where trotting for grayling, it was a decent rod and he caught quite a lot of grayling and trout with it that day with a bonus salmon of about 7lb.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
How big are your fish crow and what are you targeting mate.
Most of the 17 ft rods are horrendous mate I draw a line at 15 ft

I am not targeting any species in particular although the water holds carp to 30+ tench over 9lbs but also lots of roach and bream that go to double figures. I do need something with the extra control that the longer rod will give me not of the float but of the fish, its more about the swims I shall be fishing and what could turn up. I have seen a rod that would be ideal but it is way out of my pocket so not even on the radar,

I shall take your point on the rod length on board and would even consider something 14ft but 15 would be better

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Yeah but it's not 15 to 17ft though ?

If your after a 15 or 16 footer at a reasonable price then these would be one of the best options that I know of....

This seller has 16 footers as well as the13 footers

Superb rare Shakespeare Mach 3 XT 13ft 6in Power Match , 15ft , 16ft Match Rods | eBay

SHAKESPEARE MACH 3 XT 16FT MATCH FISHING ROD - EXCELLENT CONDITION

A friend of mine has the 15ft version (i've never seen the 16 footer) and I had a go with it while we where trotting for grayling, it was a decent rod and he caught quite a lot of grayling and trout with it that day with a bonus salmon of about 7lb.

Thanks for those Ian, already watching them but your recommendation is welcome :)

trotter2

Reaction score
That's quite a range of fish crow your never going to get anything to handle that range mate.
Even the 9lb tench can put a hell of a lot of strain on a standard float rod.

Your going to have to decide what your going to target most a light float rod would practically useless at the upper limits
On the other hand if you go for a beast of a rod its over doing it for the small stuff.
Usability is another issue a 17ft rod made to handle big stuff is going too be heavy mate.

thecrow

Reaction score
That's quite a range of fish crow your never going to get anything to handle that range mate.
Even the 9lb tench can put a hell of a lot of strain on a standard float rod.

I'm not looking for a rod that would handle all of the size of fish that I mentioned that would be plain daft, I only mentioned what fish were in the water I think you may have misunderstood.

The extra length that I am looking for is about control of fish when hooked in particular swims that it will be used in nothing more its all I need the extra length for.

I asked for any recommendations because this is not the sort of rod of have owned before and not having lots of cash available didn't want to waste what I have on something that others have owned and found to be poor rods. Anyone that knows me would tell you that I don't buy tackle because its the latest big thing, I only ever buy things like rods if I haven't got something to do the job I need it to do and in this case I haven't hence asking on here.

trotter2

Reaction score
Ok crow go yet.
A nice rod in a 15 ft is the map parabolic I had one some time ago .
You should get a second hand one in that price range .

thecrow

Reaction score
After searching for hours and not finding anything it looks as if I may have to compromise as I have found a 14ft rod well within my price range its a Maver abyss x, as I have nothing else to do I might drive over to fosters and have a look at one.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After searching for hours and not finding anything it looks as if I may have to compromise as I have found a 14ft rod well within my price range its a Maver abyss x, as I have nothing else to do I might drive over to fosters and have a look at one.

I know everyone likes different rods etc but I don't really like rods over 14ft. I have a couple of 14 footers, a acolyte plus
The first time I handled a 15ft acolyte plus was several weeks ago when I was with Miktench and it really was the best feeling 15ft rod i've ever handled. I know you don't want to pay that kind'a coin but if you could save up for a spell I think you'd appreciate the difference between it and other 15 footers.
If you do visit a tackle shop try and get hold of the 15ft accy plus and see how it feels to you!

mikench

Reaction score
I know everyone likes different rods etc but I don't really like rods over 14ft. I have a couple of 14 footers, a acolyte plus
The first time I handled a 15ft acolyte plus was several weeks ago when I was with Miktench and it really was the best feeling 15ft rod i've ever handled. I know you don't want to pay that kind'a coin but if you could save up for a spell I think you'd appreciate the difference between it and other 15 footers.
If you do visit a tackle shop try and get hold of the 15ft accy plus and see how it feels to you!

Ian, i do not merit the additional T in my moniker as i have yet to catch any Tench. Nice idea though for when I do!:rolleyes:

thecrow

Reaction score

If I was looking to pay plenty for a rod I think I would be looking at one that I have seen in action that I have been impressed with for its all round capability, I think you probably know who and what I mean :)