Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drought forecast

Just seen in the news that some of the Hertfordshire and Essex streams are drying up due to lack of rain. Down by over 50% this winter, drought already being forecast in some areas. One of my lakes is over 2ft down on what is normal for this time of year.
    This is an area where they plan to build 1000’s more houses.

Default Re: Drought forecast

Same here in Kent, the river Stour has been really low for many months now.

After a long hot summer large cracks appear in my lawn, it's only April and they have already appeared.

binka Guest

This thread has prompted me to check on the Trent (and I've been behaving myself so far and staying off the site during the close season lol) and it's already at late summer levels.

Difficult to predict too far ahead, opening day last season saw it around eight feet up but it has been exceptionally dry up 'ere for the last six weeks or so.

No drought here but then there rarely is! It is amazing what difference the Pennines make to levels of rainfall!

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    No drought here but then there rarely is! It is amazing what difference the Pennines make to levels of rainfall!
    Rain, snow and hailstones today and it was a white out going over the pennines to Sheffield!
    Some patchy heavy rain and low temp's on the agenda this week. Next weeks supposed to be tench weather .

Blog Entries

Apparently there is a 2 mile stretch of the Colne that is already dry, there is a BBC London video but as usual I cant get the link to work I cant get the link to work.
    Last edited by thecrow; 27-04-2017 at 08:03.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

There was a piece on the BBC news a few days ago talking about how global warming will have an affect on our flora and fauna and also said the difference in the weather between the north and South of the UK will become even more noticeable.

binka Guest

Still very dry up in the east midlands, I took the hound for a walk earlier and this was the scene at a local lake which relies on a feeder stream...

Not that everyone's complaining...

Smile Re: Drought forecast

Reminds me of the long hot dry summer of 76, water shortage, no car washing etc. Stand pipes in some areas. Minister of drought appointed by the Government. He did not even make it to his office before the heavens opened
    and we had downpour after downpour followed by the usual flooding.

Best ministerial appointment for years for getting results.!!

Remember the Summer of 76 well. Hated the temperature and dryness in the air. Then when it did rain Mums manicured garden that she tried to keep going by watering it with dirty bathwater turn into a sinking mudhole.

Being classed as disabled for the last 6 years for some strange reason am still allowed to use a hosepipe when there is a ban on. No one has been able to tell me why yet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast